What are your First Impressions, Droid 2

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
As my jealousy sits in with everyone getting a D2 for warranty replacement (my D1 is still Mint) and as a new purchase I am really curious as to first impressions for those coming from the Original D to the D2...performance enhancements, added extras you are impressed with, ease of access compared to the Original Droid

I would also be interested to hear the downfalls, things that might have been better put together on the Original Droid or that you miss, even the obvious things :)

jmonte345

Reaction score
I think the worst thing about it is the messaging app.. it's horrible. Motorola switched out the stock Android messaging app for one with bubbles around the conversations kind of like the iPhone but they are a horrid yellow and grey color.

Really, the whole skin annoys me.

I feels more refined in my hand but I liked the cold, metallic, rough around the edges feel of my D1.

Can't wait for a ROM to come out that gets rid of the stupid Motorola overlay and all the bloatware on the phone. I loved the D1 because of the stock Android.

Syraz

Reaction score
The Good:

• Snappy little guy
  • I dig the color of it
  • keyboard has a nice feel to it
  • no loose screen issue
  • ergonomically better handling
  • more power, more ram, more internal storage *coming from droid1*
  • dig to blur dock, and lock screens
The Bad:

• Every other part of blur
  • battery is meh, but that will change in due time if like my original droid
  • 7 screens? I only need 5 at most
  • no Sapphire yet :( *code name Obsidian for X, but hope its for both devices*
  • not as easily rooted as droid1
  • bloatware
  • getting used to keyboard being off-centered to the right instead of left, but again in time I will get adjusted
Been on fence since I opened my FedEx box. after playing with it all night at work. Its grown on me, for being stock at moment I can safely say despite the blur crap, I am happy with it.

jmonte345

Reaction score
I meant to mention... the Exchange support is much better on the D2. It allows my company's server to set the security requirements. It was not able to do that on the D1.

Dragoro

Reaction score
I like mine, feel its just as good as the D1. Just wish I could figure out how to raise the volume of the clicking noise when I select tap on an app or bookmark and what have ya.

LT*

Reaction score
I like mine, feel its just as good as the D1. Just wish I could figure out how to raise the volume of the clicking noise when I select tap on an app or bookmark and what have ya.

Should be controlled by the media volume, try turning that up.

revision

Reaction score
I concur with Azilla on all bullets lol and want to overly emphasize the longing for sapphire on this bad boy.

I spent a day, holding my trusty d1 in one hand and d2 in the other, debating which to stick with and ultimately the thing that made me convert is the possibilities. The hardware in the d2 is simply better than the d1. I pulled my 16GB sdcard from d1, popped it into d2 and haven't looked back. handed my d1 down to coworker with the 8GB (am sneaky i are).

I have to say the most undermentioned thing i have seen so far has been swype. It takes a bit of getting used to, but i rarely use the keyboard anymore.

The blur i can take it or leave it, battery life gets better with setcpu and juicedefender so i can't complain there, but in all honesty my main good point is i think the new droid will just go further than the original.

LT*

Reaction score
The Good:

• Snappy little guy
  • I dig the color of it
  • no loose screen issue
The Bad:

• bloatware
  • getting used to keyboard being off-centered to the right instead of left, but again in time I will get adjusted
Been on fence since I opened my FedEx box. after playing with it all night at work. Its grown on me, for being stock at moment I can safely say despite the blur crap, I am happy with it.

You can put Launcher Pro on there to hide the Blur crap. Although I did notice that once I installed it on my wife's D2, LP became the default launcher and there was no way to permanently switch it to the Stock launcher. Home switcher wouldn't even do it. Weird.

Jboxen

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
The Good:

• Snappy little guy
  • I dig the color of it
  • no loose screen issue
The Bad:

• bloatware

You can put Launcher Pro on there to hide the Blur crap. Although I did notice that once I installed it on my wife's D2, LP became the default launcher and there was no way to permanently switch it to the Stock launcher. Home switcher wouldn't even do it. Weird.

Go to settings, applications, manage applications, find LP and click on clear defaults, the press the home softkey and pick whichever launcher you'd like.

feyvorite

Reaction score
Much quicker. It can handle a lot more before getting sluggish (with twice as much RAM). It is a prettier phone with softer edges and the metallic blue and blue parts of the keyboard make it more appealing. It is as heavy as the original, and it feels very solid.
The keyboard no longer has a shift or alt on the right side. I miss that since I am someone who is more used to a typical keyboard. I like the arrows better than the directional pad. I make less errors with typing on this phone, so that is a big improvement.
Supposedly the wireless is better than the original. It seems to be much snappier with web pages, but that is probably more due to Froyo and the better processor.
Having 256mB was one of the greatest limitations of the original Droid.
I will have to decide whether I will want to root this thing. I'm pretty happy with it right now, except I would like to be able to better utilize the 8GB of phone (non-SD) storage. 7GB is sitting there unused, and I would like to put some videos on it. I have yet to find any app that allows you to create a folder or put a file onto the phone (non SD).

LT*

Reaction score
The Good:

• Snappy little guy
  • I dig the color of it
  • no loose screen issue
The Bad:

• bloatware

Go to settings, applications, manage applications, find LP and click on clear defaults, the press the home softkey and pick whichever launcher you'd like.

Tried that, but the clear default button is greyed out.

Jboxen

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

Tried that, but the clear default button is greyed out.

Oh wow, hmm well then just un-install it would be my next move.

LT*

Reaction score

Should be controlled by the media volume, try turning that up.

Thats what I thought, but got that maxed and no deal.

Settings>Sound>Volume>Slide Media bar up...the click got louder.

I just tried this and it worked.