what is an RUU and how to update?

OP
M
Reaction score
Wow....73 views and not one reply? You guys are awesome!

Sent from my SHIFTAO5P using DroidForums

johnd09

Reaction score
If you want to flash a new ruu, you put it on the root of your SD card and name it "PG05IMG", no quotes. Then go into the bootloader. It will find it and ask if you want to update. Select yes and it will do It's thing.

Sent from my BAMF'd 'bolt

OP
M
Reaction score
The poster above you tried to explain, but I didn't understand. Do you think you could reiterate for me please? I'd really appreciate it brother. Thanks!

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I googled it and came up with 2 different results 1)radio unit upgrade 2)rom upgrade utility. I'm not sure which one is correct though.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

johnd09

Reaction score
An ruu is a complete software package released by HTC, it can contain many things they are trying to update. Radio, ROM, bootloader, etc... Installing an ruu is like installing an image on a hard drive it wipes the phone and installs the image. It will wipe everything data and all so if you install one be prepared.

Sent from my BAMF'd 'bolt

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the info buddy that helped alot. But do I need to upgrade to a recent RUU if I'm rooted using the latest radio?

johnd09

Reaction score
If you are rooted then you DO NOT need to use stock RUU's they will cause you to lose root. You need to find one that has been packaged up for root users so that it is rooted. Such as the rooted\deodexed version here [RUU]Gingerbread Build 2.11.605.3 Full RUU And New Radio For HTC ThunderBolt - xda-developers. This is the ruu and what was the OTA until the voicemail problem came up. The only reason you would need to update is if you are having problems. If you are on the current radio and are happy with it then I wouldn't mess with it. You may want to look into custom roms if you want more out of it. BAMF roms are great, very stable and professional, if you are interested in tinkering some more.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply buddy. You told me exactly what I needed to know. :)

1337SereniTyx3

Reaction score
Some people look to see if the answer has been posted. A RUU is the stock software package that HTC uses on their phones. Motorola uses a file called SBF.

This post is Incredible 2

Is there any such file for Samsung devices? If yes, how do I get it?
I'm asking cuz my mobile [Galaxy R] has been USB Bricked and I need to flash stock recovery so that I can send it to service
center for repair.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is there any such file for Samsung devices? If yes, how do I get it?
I'm asking cuz my mobile [Galaxy R] has been USB Bricked and I need to flash stock recovery so that I can send it to service
center for repair.

Use mobile Odin. The pit files should be available somewhere.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: