Pixel 2 XL

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Looking at Amazon for screen protectors. Got to have something to keep me from going nuts while I wait for another 35 days!

I've never heard of or used Tempered Glass... thoughts ?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0156RB3PM...TF8&colid=3QLUC7J6UI1WH&coliid=I21S46270MQ6JP

or good ole fashioned plastic ?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013AGFPC8...lid=3QLUC7J6UI1WH&coliid=I1SAW41NB7V3K3&psc=1

What do y'all thnk.
Get a good quality tempered glass screen protector.. They're like being naked, and can protect your screen if you drop the phone..they don't ALWAYS..but many people report cracking the protector and not their display...

Imho tempered glass is the way to go..

OP
cynkrzy

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Get a good quality tempered glass screen protector.. They're like being naked, and can protect your screen if you drop the phone..they don't ALWAYS..but many people report cracking the protector and not their display...

Any Brand you prefer ?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks

I've seen people swear by that as well, but I'd be curious to see a drop test performed the same with and without the tempered glass protector. I wonder if it's just that the protector isn't as strong as the Gorilla Glass and maybe it cracks in situations that the screen wouldn't have cracked anyway. Just my crazy theory.

I haven't used a screen protector almost ever, so I won't be worrying about this.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Any Brand you prefer ?
No..and with not knowing the screen...see..if its slightly curved..a thinner protector would probably stick better..but a flat screen..a nice thick one would be better for protection I'd think...

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I've seen people swear by that as well, but I'd be curious to see a drop test performed the same with and without the tempered glass protector. I wonder if it's just that the protector isn't as strong as the Gorilla Glass and maybe it cracks in situations that the screen wouldn't have cracked anyway. Just my crazy theory.

I haven't used a screen protector almost ever, so I won't be worrying about this.
Beach sand..I always cover up lol

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've seen my buddy drop his M7 a couple times and broke the tempered glass, but the display was intact. Seems to do very well in protecting the screen.

I've never tried them but just may go that route with the 6P.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've seen my buddy drop his M7 a couple times and broke the tempered glass, but the display was intact. Seems to do very well in protecting the screen.

I've never tried them but just may go that route with the 6P.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
But how can you be sure that it actually protected the screen? What if it's just not a strong and so it cracks, while the screen wouldn't have cracked without it anyway? I'm not sold.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I personally go with a good glass screen protector. For one I like the feel of glass and I want to keep my device like new for if I decide to resell.

I also will go with either a skin or a thin case that protects the corners. Again I like to keep my device like new so I can resell so I keep a case to protect my device from nicks and dings.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
But how can you be sure that it actually protected the screen? What if it's just not a strong and so it cracks, while the screen wouldn't have cracked without it anyway? I'm not sold.
I see your point..like...its just weaker so it broke, the screen may not have...

I've seen one take the edge of a 75 lbs dumbbell when the phone was dropped, shattered the protector and left a little ding on the screen..so.idk..condom or a gun for me....I'd rather have it and not need it..lol

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

That's a good point, but how can you be sure that a screen protector does anything at all? From the numerous drops I've seen, compared to how my buddy dropped his phone, I think it would have cracked the screen, but I'm just guessing. I've had keys in my pocket with my phone (not realizing I put them together) and assumed my screen would be scratched and saw nothing on the screen, this is without a protector. So I think it's more of a case of it's better to have that potential for protection. That and like PC said, I like the feel of the glass over plastic.

Of course I don't know much about nothin' so...lol

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I mean, back with Gorilla Glass 2 or maybe even 1, there were videos of people purposely trying to scratch them with keys with no lasting scratches. Now, devices are shipping with GG 3 & 4.

I prefer the feel of glass too. The feel of the Gorilla Glass that is my screen. More power to you if you like the protectors, but I never have.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I love the intelliarmor TGSP on my Nexus.. If they are making one for 6P that be a winner.. And great customer service..

S6E+ tapatalk

luvarcher

Reaction score
Have tried several brands for tempered glass screen protector, and as of lately, Skinomi Tempered glass screen protector for the Note 5.So far, the fit is okay, and halo effect, surprisingly none. But,about the coverage, it's not full coverage thou, it won't cover the curvature of the device but I like it since it complement well with the secondary case I had..for your concern, I don't know if they have made one yet but while waiting, I suggest you go with plastic films first.