Who's ready? (or not)

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wonder about the bootloader and LG's history there? Could this be easily turned into a GE device?? ;)

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Wow, some really nice features in the ui. I'm thinkin this phone is pretty sweet!

[video=youtube;mJs3lES8Bcc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJs3lES8Bcc[/video]

OP
Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I've watched and read every review on this phone and I'm sold on it.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I can tell just in the vids that it is sooooo fast! I didn't really think I would be able to tell but yep, smokin!

ajarnfalang

Reaction score
We just got word in thailand.

LG G2 available Sept 28 for $630. (There are no such things as contracts here so they pay everything cash).

So I'm just waiting.

As far as just a smartphone, the LG G2 is the best at the moment. It beats the Note 3 in benchmarks running the same Snapdragon 800 chipset. And I mean BEAT.

G2 was developed together with Qualcomm. The performance is the best right now. Camera has just the right amount of innovations to make it one of the best. bested by Nokia 41MP probably, but it's an awesome camera.

Also just the right amount of features without being cluttered with gimmicks like Samsung.

And the buttons on the back, OPPO N1 is now trying to copy it. It just makes sense.

ajarnfalang

Reaction score
Was out running some errands and stopped by my local Verizon store. They had a demo LG2 on the charger and they pulled it off so I could check it out. The phone had kind of a gun metal back with a blueish hue to it when the light hit it just right. Looked good. Verizon branding was very low profile, if any at all. I don't remember seeing any big Verizon signage on the phone but I really wasn't looking for it.

The phone felt very comfortable in my hands with a slight curve on the back, sort of like the HTC One but with a flatter radius. The screen looked fantastic and the switching between screens and apps was very smooth. The Verizon add-on apps appeared fairly minimal. Settings told me that 24gb out of 32gb was available (IIRC) and there were a couple of hefty media demo files on the device.

The buttons on the back did not bother me. I have a feeling that if I used the phone regularly it would seem natural. The double-knock on the screen to wake the phone up and put it in standby worked great. Also, this is a global phone.

I really liked this phone and it seems like it could a a contender to replace my Galaxy Nexus. That said, I would be remiss to not wait to see what happens with Nexus 5, especially in light of the article I just read that indicated it is based on the G2 platform and that Google / LG MIGHT be adapting the phone for the Verizon network......the combination of Nexus and LG2 could be ideal!!

That is all!

I thought about that but then all the G2 specific features would be gone.

I THINK that LG will update the G2 at least once in the next year or 2. That's good enough for me.

OP
Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I thought about that but then all the G2 specific features would be gone.

I THINK that LG will update the G2 at least once in the next year or 2. That's good enough for me.

Everyone's at arms over the update schedule on previous LG phones. Before, I agree, that mattered because updates for android were big news, huge feature packs. But now it doesn't. We've been on the same major version of android since October 2011. We know the next update is quite minor, and the one after that might be just the same. So I don't really get the whole update argument anymore. The phone performance is flawless, battery life is great, who needs that next gimmicky feature that bad?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Everyone's at arms over the update schedule on previous LG phones. Before, I agree, that mattered because updates for android were big news, huge feature packs. But now it doesn't. We've been on the same major version of android since October 2011. We know the next update is quite minor, and the one after that might be just the same. So I don't really get the whole update argument anymore. The phone performance is flawless, battery life is great, who needs that next gimmicky feature that bad?

Samsung had that rep about updates at first and they improved. I think lg will as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

OP
Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Samsung had that rep about updates at first and they improved. I think lg will as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

I think they might as well but even if they don't, what damage is really done? Android is smooth as whipped cream, not having the latest version is no longer the disadvantage it was. Being behind before meant a lagging device riddled with bugs and only love from the few developers that supported it.

I think the last three years of android likely saw more change than the next five years will in terms of important features and software enhancements that will really create any kind of obsolescence with this years tech. The mobile industry has finally caught up to their big brother, the PC. Very few people buy a new PC every two years for a reason. My 2007 laptop still runs everything I need except today's games.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My thing with lack of updates is what Verizon messes up they take forever, if ever, to do another update to fix what they broke. My camera is basically useless since my last Rezound update and I can count on that being that way until the phone finally dies. Camera Zoom FX helped a lot but they removed metering capability and the phone can no longer seem to meter a scene worth a hoot. It starts defaults to VERY dark unless the light is even across the entire shooting area.
They sent an update out the the Inc 1 that made most of them a paperweight, then many months later finally sent one that if you could stop your phone from being stuck in a reboot loop long enough and jump through the boot up in safe mode and delete the partition cache it fixed the boot loop issue but threw the flash on the camera timing to almost a full second after the camera took the picture as well as manning the phone very susceptible to false battery temperature reading causing the phone to, you guessed it, boot loops until you pulled the battery. I won't even go into what they did to Windows Mobile phones with their updates.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notate

LuvMusic

Reaction score
I think they might as well but even if they don't, what damage is really done? Android is smooth as whipped cream, not having the latest version is no longer the disadvantage it was. Being behind before meant a lagging device riddled with bugs and only love from the few developers that supported it.

I suspect you are using the term "lagging" to mean "being behind." However system lag that develops over time has been an issue with Android. The new 4.3 release addressed that issue by implementing TRIM to manage RAM. In my 2013 Nexus 7 it does make a difference. If the LG2 had released with 4.3, I might have bought it today. Since it didn't, I'll wait a little.

Also it was mentioned that the Nexus 5 "LG2" might sacrifice some of the features that make the phone cool. This could be true but given that the Nexus 5 will launch with KitKat, I wouldn't make that assumption. While I want to upgrade, I'm not in dire need, so I will wait a little.

OP
Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I suspect you are using the term "lagging" to mean "being behind." However system lag that develops over time has been an issue with Android.

I was talking about software level. System lag is an issue with computing in general, not Android. But a new computer will conceal the lag with better processor, memory size, bus speed...than say my 07' laptop for instance. This old rig needs a refresh every 6-8 months even on windows 7 to stay in good shape. New computers don't have the problem so much because they have room for issues to exist without the user experiencing them. I think Smartphones are to that point. I'm using an old X2 right now that starts to lag after 20 days of a reset. My bionic took months to experience the same thing (before it met it's untimely death in an accident).

However Mark is getting to the point in his post above yours, it's not OEM's that are screwing up everything, it's the carriers. The process is broken in every way, and sometimes the updates are more problematic than the stock software on the device anyhow.

ajarnfalang

Reaction score

Yea. I don't mind that much. They say 4.3 has TRIM support. If that's the case and makes the experience better then, I wouldn't mind an update, but it's not urgent.

I think at least 1 update for the G2 is fair.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tried to play with the one at my local VZW store last night... they had it all hooked up so it was hard to feel if the buttons would work or not, but they felt somewhat hard to "read" by my fingers. The back was horribly greasy as well - as bad or worse than the S4's grease-grabbing plastic.

However, the device itself felt incredibly solid and for the 3 seconds I could get the phone to stay on, the screen was absolutely gorgeous. They had it plugged into a usb cable that the phone didn't like, so the battery was dead. Clearly they didn't care that the phone was released... it was at the end of the Samsung table, laying on its side, plugged into a separate usb "station" (possibly in an attempt to get it to charge up). No signs or anything anywhere about the phone being released. Too bad... a little marketing would go a long way for that phone.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Tried to play with the one at my local VZW store last night... they had it all hooked up so it was hard to feel if the buttons would work or not, but they felt somewhat hard to "read" by my fingers. The back was horribly greasy as well - as bad or worse than the S4's grease-grabbing plastic.

However, the device itself felt incredibly solid and for the 3 seconds I could get the phone to stay on, the screen was absolutely gorgeous. They had it plugged into a usb cable that the phone didn't like, so the battery was dead. Clearly they didn't care that the phone was released... it was at the end of the Samsung table, laying on its side, plugged into a separate usb "station" (possibly in an attempt to get it to charge up). No signs or anything anywhere about the phone being released. Too bad... a little marketing would go a long way for that phone.

It's so funny how Verizon trains their reps to push nothing but the Droid lines...I went into the store yesterday as well...As soon you walk into the store there is a big Droid ad and all the Motorola phones...then Windows to the right and Iphone all in the middle...you have to go to the back to get to the Samsung phones and in line with them there was LG2 sitting next to LG Stratosphere ..

I had the same thoughts on the phone...my least favorite thing was the shiny blue metallic fingerprint magnet...I couldn't get the feel for the buttons with the stupid security tag right there next to it..I did get to play with it plenty and the screen looks sharp...menus were flowing quickly without any hesitation..videos played nicely (although I found volume a bit lower than I'd like)..tap to turn on is nice (reminds me of app on Nexus did the same to wake)..camera was good (I have to check it out again bc felt not as quick to snap as recent phones I've tested)..

Last edited: