Why Does The Note 8 Have A Smaller Battery?

Reaction score
Ok cool what about the sd cards can most apps be stored on the sd card like facebook and instagram or its just for pictures and movies

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Android and Google have both pretty much said publicly that "background apps" do not really impact battery life at all. They aren't truly running.

Apple exec: Background apps on iPhones don't gobble up battery

I did a test on this. since getting the note 8, every night when I get home from work, my phone would still have around 83 percent. last night before going to work, I open five apps, four tech news apps and topix. Just got off of work a few minutes ago and my phone showed 64 percent. I used the phone at work about five minutes. usually it is more - about 15 or more.

Not sure why android and google says background apps dont use battery but from my point of view, they are off base.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I find my S8 Plus sips on standby.. I have already noticed a bit of a hit on battery with usage though compared to first weeks but still very good on SOT

Sent using Tapatalk

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't know if the settings that I've marked in the pic are on all Nougat OS's or not, but I assume that they are.
It's odd that Google claimed that closed apps in the background don't use power, then added these battery saving features, which put closed apps to sleep so that they don't consume any power.....
77b076c2e802aa0961f95aaf2e924ca6.jpg

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I don't know if the settings that I've marked in the pic are on all Nougat OS's or not, but I assume that they are.
It's odd that Google claimed that closed apps in the background don't use power, then added these battery saving features, which put closed apps to sleep so that they don't consume any power.....
77b076c2e802aa0961f95aaf2e924ca6.jpg

That is not Nougat.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean.
It is Android v 7.1.1 which is Nougat.
Are you saying is that the battery saving features shown in my pic is a Samsung feature? If so, that's why I said that I didn't know if it was standard on all Nougat devices.

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
That is not Nougat.

It is the same features on my N5, which is nougat. I tend to agree that when you have a bunch of open apps, it will consumer battery. Maybe not much but it does some. Although the biggest battery consuming culprit would be apps that are constantly pushing notifications.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
It is the same features on my N5, which is nougat. I tend to agree that when you have a bunch of open apps, it will consumer battery. Maybe not much but it does some. Although the biggest battery consuming culprit would be apps that are constantly pushing notifications.

Yea, I'm saying that's not stock. Are you running stock N, tis?
This is what it looks like on my 7.1.1.

d367d0ccd05da4999124e2113b49a3bf.jpg

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mine is stock. It's the Note 8

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Mine is stock. It's the Note 8

I know yours is stock which is why I suspect that's a Samsung piece. Tis could be running a Rom with a 3rd party app baked in tgat is similar. Any other Nougat people care to chime in here?

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh......sorry
I thought you were asking bofus

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I know yours is stock which is why I suspect that's a Samsung piece. Tis could be running a Rom with a 3rd party app baked in tgat is similar. Any other Nougat people care to chime in here?

No, I'm not running a rom. I haven't done that in a long time. It's vanilla Samsung, lol!

PereDroid, maybe you have the same screen only it's in a menu or a link on your battery usage page. When I go to battery settings, in order to get to the screen you have, I have to select "battery usage" on the initial screen...
aa3ab5fe331dc494955fd2871298901c.jpg
25471b3c1d97e2e733e41373b99f84a9.jpg

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
No. You guys have a Samsung app. Clicking details takes you to the Nougat screen. You said N5...thought you meant Nexus 5...now I see it's a Note.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
No. You guys have a Samsung app. Clicking details takes you to the Nougat screen. You said N5...thought you meant Nexus 5...now I see it's a Note.

Sorry for the confusion, PereDroid. Yes, it is a Note 5. Your's & mine battery usage screens look similar but it appears Samsung added a power optimization screen to their battery settings. And believe it or not, toggling mid or max power saving does make a big difference in how long the battery lasts.