wifi issues

WebRogue

Reaction score
My wife has a Droid Razr as well. We also just installed the update. She still cannot connect consistently to our home router. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. It will show as connected, but the WiFi signal bar is completely grey. If I check the router, I can see that it is connected. Unfortunately it does not work. I have a Samsung Galaxy SII LTE which connects and works fine on the same router. If you Google a bit, you will find that there are a lot of Droid Razr people (an other Motorola phones as well) with this same problem. Seems to be a Motorola issue. So far I have not found a way to fix it.

midnightkiss

Reaction score
Hey guys, thought I'd share my findings in case it helps anyone else out. I've spent many hours trying to figure this out without any luck. I was having the issue with my device saying connected but not being able to browse or use any internet. My setup is a little more complicated as I have an AD server providing DHCP. However, what I found that fixed my issue was removing the IP lease from my DHCP table. Once I removed the device from the DHCP table, the device connected again, got a different IP and was then able to browse :icon_ banana:

I had previously tried every mode of security, WPA, WPA2, WEP, Open, WPA2Enterprise, WPAEnterprise, with no avail. Also tried every mode, G only, N only, etc.
So check to see if you can remove the lease from wherever you supply DHCP from.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
midnightkiss said:
Hey guys, thought I'd share my findings in case it helps anyone else out. I've spent many hours trying to figure this out without any luck. I was having the issue with my device saying connected but not being able to browse or use any internet. My setup is a little more complicated as I have an AD server providing DHCP. However, what I found that fixed my issue was removing the IP lease from my DHCP table. Once I removed the device from the DHCP table, the device connected again, got a different IP and was then able to browse :icon_ banana:

I had previously tried every mode of security, WPA, WPA2, WEP, Open, WPA2Enterprise, WPAEnterprise, with no avail. Also tried every mode, G only, N only, etc.

Good to know. We'll have to keep this in mind. Thank you. :)

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

Websquad

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 6 +
Happy with WiFi

Before the ICS O/S upgrade I never even tried WiFi on my Droid 4 ... just didn't think of it. However, I had been listening to Abacus radio music during my workouts, but was not pleased with the performance -- both before and after ICS there were numerous times when the music just quit playing (many more interruptions with ICS then the original OS). So I walked into my gym (Fitness 19) the other day and there was a sign: "We now have Wifi -- ask for the password." WOW! The WiFi is great ... makes all the difference in the world. I can now listen to Bach and Vivaldi without interruption.

QUESTION: When WiFi is operating, does the 4G cellular wireless become disabled and the Droid 4 depend on WiFi for all of its wireless connectivity? I can't tell from the manual (besides, it is pre-ICS).

jaye712

Reaction score
midnightkiss said:

How did u end up getin a different ip?u meen getin a complete new router or jst changin the name?sry,iam tryin to figure this out as easy as possible.i been havin the same/sort of this problem for weeks n found no answer.this would be alot of help..ill be connected to wifi n then itll last for a day or two n then looses connection.i try to connect it,n it jst loads the whole entire time,i normally have to mess with the router n phone back to back,even changing the channel (wrks for a day or two like i said)but looses connection agian.n o my,dnt get me started on the signal..one minute its a full bar(without connect)..i try to connect n then it drops to 1 bar(iam right in front of my router)

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
This is about the HD...

And no, I was on wifi again today for about an hour with no hiccups... are you using a router? Could that be your issue, not the phone?

krazyace38

Reaction score
It's not my router; I have 3 other devices that work just fine. I'm a PC Tech and IT pro and use my laptop almost all day and never have an issue. I decided to check the Motorola support forums and found several people with the same issue so now I know it's the phone. Some of the people on the forum has had their phone replaced and still have the issue and some have had a replacement and got a phone that works perfectly. Just thought I would check here to see if anyone has had this issue. I have even tried the Jelly Bean leak and still have the issue. Guess I will call Motorola and ask if it's a known issue.

droidxep

Reaction score
Same issue here, if I keep wifi auto connect on it doesn't happen but it kills my battery

clintro

Reaction score
Not a problem here. First thing I would always do is reboot the router (might as well reboot the phone at the same time), or try the phone on another router. Even if 100 devices connect properly and one doesn't sometimes a simple reboot clears it up.

krazyace38

Reaction score
clintro said:
Not a problem here. First thing I would always do is reboot the router (might as well reboot the phone at the same time), or try the phone on another router. Even if 100 devices connect properly and one doesn't sometimes a simple reboot clears it up.

A simple reboot of my router only gets the phone wifi connected for the time I'm around the router as soon as I go outside the range of the router and come back within range it doesn't auto connect and when I go into wifi settings to turn off wifi and back on; my router isn't even listed in the devices so I go to manage networks it says the router is not in range so I have to reset the router to get connected because rebooting the phone does nothing. I have done an FDR 3 times and that doesn't fix it I have tried the Jelly Bean leak and no go and even tried 3 different routers since I'm and IT Pro I can test various things like hacking the router to boost signal range but never helps. Since there's other people over in the Motorola support forums having the same issue I have decided it's in the phone hardware.

SANhacker

Reaction score
Sounds like you have a problem with your phone.
I use Smart Actions to automagically turn on wifi at home, bar and work.
Works flawlessly. Never disconnects. Remembers the passwords of each.
It also changes the volume, turns off 4G and modifies screen timeouts based on location.

clintro

Reaction score
If it is hardware I would suggest keep returning it until you get a good one :)