WiFi Scan, router not found

Silver Member
Reaction score
SSID broadcast is the most important step.

rjsurfer

Reaction score
What I have found so far with my Droid is that it will not attach to a router if the SSID is hidden.

Obliviously, if you enter the SSID and the correct password the Droid should login into the router even though it's not broadcasting an SSID, but mine won't.

I had to adjust my router settings to broadcast it's SSID before I can get to it. I'm not too concerned because I'm using Mac address filtering and WPA security.

But I would feel better knowing my address isn't being broadcast across the neighborhood.

Ron W.

pyrofreak

Reaction score
Well just like yesterday ill try it when I get home from work. So I need to set it to a mixed signal and set up the ssid

barryp3403

Reaction score
What I have found so far with my Droid is that it will not attach to a router if the SSID is hidden.

Obliviously, if you enter the SSID and the correct password the Droid should login into the router even though it's not broadcasting an SSID, but mine won't.

I had to adjust my router settings to broadcast it's SSID before I can get to it. I'm not too concerned because I'm using Mac address filtering and WPA security.

But I would feel better knowing my address isn't being broadcast across the neighborhood.

Ron W.

If the Droid is like most devices once it has connected to your network and has that in memory you should be able to log in even without broadcasting the SSID. I'd be curious to know if you can now turn off SSID broadcast and your Droid will still connect. :unsure:

mrapollinax

Reaction score
In all reality not Broadcasting your SSID doesn't really hide you from someone looking for your network. Your radio sends out beacons constantly to radios connected to it so someone with a good RF sniffer will see your "hidden" network. MAC filtering is the same as someone who really wants to get into your network will spoof the MAC of a connected station. Your best bet for security is using a high-order security code with WPA2 or going the RADIUS authentication route which many home routers do not support. Keep in mind that in many enterprise wifi networks, at least the well planned ones, they will have radios dedicated to security only that will react to suspect activity by deauthenticating suspect stations/APs.

Again, in this case however you should be able to manually input the SSID into the Droid and force it to connect to the SSID through your network settings.

rjsurfer

Reaction score
The instant I hide my SSID the Droid disconnects and fails to reconnect even if I turn WiFi off/on.

My laptop disconnects on the change (because the router has to reboot to make the change effective) but reconnects when the router comes back online, the way it should.

Not the Droid.....

I know hiding the SSID is not foolproof way to secure your net but it keeps the kids at bay, most of the kids in my neighborhood left high school long before graduating and couldn't operate a network sniffer (can't read the manuals), I hope.

Ron W.

mrapollinax

Reaction score
Does it disconnect even if you manually add the network in the settings? I'd try it myself but the only hidden SSID here at work runs a security combo that the Droid does not support.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Interesting, but I've seen it where some devices just will not connect if the SSID isn't broadcast. Shouldnt be that way if you already input the settings but ... perhaps a bug in the code for wifi?

I dont worry about SSID, there are other ways to secure the network anyway. I'd say just leave it on. Invent a cunning name for it, etc.

In my younger days I had a neighbor that I didn't like in my apt complex, so I named my network "Steve, I did your girlfriend" for about a week or so, drove him nuts.

"This space intentionally left blank" will also throw newbie PC laptop and desktop (and mobile) users into a quandry when seen looking for a network .... :)

Last edited:

mrapollinax

Reaction score
I would say code issue. The 802.11 spec allows for manual configuration of networks. Your device broadcasts that it is looking for a specific network and the AP should respond if it handles that network. APs will respond to new devices looking for networks with broadcasted SSIDs only unless specifically asked for "hidden" SSIDs.

pyrofreak

Reaction score
you guys were right i just enabled the SSID on my router scanned on my phone as soon as the settings were applied and there it was easy as that. This forum is a droid live saver i don't know what I'd do without you guys haha. thanks everyone.

Damien

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue with my Eris.. SSID is being broadcast and I'm runing WPA2 personal. Broadcasting a mixed b g n signal on my WRT160N router.

-Damien

Damien

Reaction score
Just fixed the problem. Changed my security from TKIP or AES to just AES in the wireless settings on the router and rebooted the router and the network popped up and connected just fine in wi-finder. Just thought I'd let y'all know.

-Damien

mrapollinax

Reaction score
You could try turning off N on your router and only go with B/G and see if that works. If not see if your router has a firmware update and try again.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I belive mine is bradcasting in N. It has never been seen by the droid.

Droid does not use "N"

I guess i got the kind that did do N then. So i will be selling mine for 2000$ any takers?

I had my network set for N only for months, and i was still able to connect to it with the droid. It would act fidgety sometimes, but that's about it. (Only while connecting though) Once connected it acted just like anything else.