WiFi Tether Not Working for you with Froyo? Here is what worked for me!

Mojo

Reaction score
First I take no credit for this tip... as it was our member mkraffert that posted this tip for me to try! Thank you very much!

Anywho if you are haveing issues with WiFi tether working after upgrading to Froyo. My issue was WiFi Tether would connect to my laptop, but I did not have internet access. So to fix just simply uninstall the WiFi tether app version 2_0_2 and download the 2_0_1 version from here found on this page Code.Google.com

As soon as I installed the older version it worked like a charm again. Hope this helps you as it helped me. :icon_ banana:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I switched to the newest 2.05Pre1 earlier today and it works great on my FroyoBB. I'm using P3's 1.25 kernel. On my droid, I found that some of the apk's would work and some would not. For instance, Pre8 worked great on all builds and yet, pre9 and pre10 would not work on anything for me. The 2.02 would not work, but as I indicated 2.05 works great. Also, I use Astro to install and and it offers an "upgrade" button so you don't have to uninstall the old Wifi Tether (ymmv). Good luck.

OP
Mojo

Mojo

Reaction score
Great to know!! Notice any new features in that version?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Great to know!! Notice any new features in that version?

Didn't really fool with it other than to determine that it worked and offered decent speed. I only changed because I was getting nervous using such an old version after I noticed it wasn't even listed anymore.

n0m0n

Reaction score
Hmm When I go into my wireless settings tethering there is only an option for USB, no mention of wireless.

Is this a known issue and is there anything I can do to get it to appear in the menu?

Thanks

OP
Mojo

Mojo

Reaction score
Hmm When I go into my wireless settings tethering there is only an option for USB, no mention of wireless.

Is this a known issue and is there anything I can do to get it to appear in the menu?

Thanks

This is about the wifi tether app. I do not have that setting either. You will need to dl the wifi tether app

n0m0n

Reaction score

Thanks

This is about the wifi tether app. I do not have that setting either. You will need to dl the wifi tether app

I thought I noticed a froyo video on AndroidCentral and it was there working.
OK thanks

cromo8

Reaction score
is it mac compatible? or even xbox 360 compatible?

pistolwhip

Reaction score
I had this same problem after switching to a Froyo rom last night, the connection issues got me in trouble at work today not being able to work on my laptop on the go. Switched to the 2.05pre2 (pre1 wasn't on the site anymore) yet still had problems. Through trial and error I found that turning on WiFi-Encryption or Enabling Access-Control caused the laptop to show no internet connection.
Did anyone else notice this at all?

lschmitt

Reaction score
As the rest above have stated, on Froyo for the Droid I had no luck with Wifi Tether until I downloaded the newest version. Uninstall your Wifi Tether and reinstall this instead. It worked right away for me as well.

radio five

Reaction score
Hey, guys.
Unfortunately, this didn't work for me. I have never been able to get wifi tethering to work. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it. Wifi tethering is the main reason I decided to root in the first place. Currently, this is what I'm running:

rooted, Android 2.2

Kernel version:
2.6.32.9-g103d848
android-build@apa23 #1

Build Number:
voles-userdebug 2.2 FRFxx 33333 test-keys

thejca

Reaction score
I had a similar problem, when I enable access control I get no internet connection. I was able to successfully enable wifi encryption though. This app utilizes your regular data plan and forwards all traffic through your smartphone right? There won't be any surprise charges from Verizon? :)

Last edited:

radio five

Reaction score
Thanks, but I figured it out. It was actually working the whole time. Apparently, it is a known fact that you can not tether a DS or a PSP. Thanks, anyway.