Will the Droid be VZW's flagship model for years to come?

hazydave

Reaction score
From what I understand, Verizon is still having talks about bringing the iphone over. So you will have both adroid base phones and iphones on Verizon's network.

I've heard this as well. But I've also heard that Steve Jobs said he has no intention of having the IPhone on any different networks when the contract is up at the end of the year.

I think Verizon HAD been in talks with Apple, twice now, but did not see a point in given into their demands for control and cash kick-backs, as AT&T has. Not that the iPhone wasn't great for AT&T. But with Verizon putting so many resources behind the DROID, and behind mocking the iPhone, I really don't see them eating crow any time soon and offering the iPhone.

If Verizon doesn't, that's one big incentive for Apple to not make a CDMA phone, which means, Sprint is out of the picture, too, unless they and Apple come to some kind of deal. Sprint is already aligned with Palm, so that could be an issue there, too.

That leaves T-Mobile.... do they want the iPhone? Does Apple care that they get it? They are #4, it's not the kind of market they'd see with Verizon. So it might be true that Apple's not making any plans to move beyond AT&T in the USA. It may also simply be that he's speaking in "clever"... Apple's not doing the pursuit, but might talk to the other guys if they come to Apple with enough incentive. It was a big question when AT&T got in the game with Apple, but today, the iPhone is a huge hit. Apple doesn't have to chase down carriers anymore.

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
I think the important thing here is that the DROID is obviously a huge phone for Verizon. They want to make sure its supported (updates/patches) and to me thats the most important thing. There are always going to be new and better phones, so nomatter what you buy there will always be something better coming out later.

So with that said, I think you all should buy and enjoy your DROID phones. Like the OP said, they spent a lot of marketing and they appear to be giving good support with the recent news of future fix updates. That makes this phone an excellent device, and I consider it to be one of the best phones for a while. anyone who gets the phone now will get plenty of enjoyment out of it... after the 2 years is up you can jump on the next hot Android phone if you want.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I give Dr0id an 80% chance of remaining its flagship device for one year...

The marketing campaign would have been a huge waste of money then.

It does not make sense financially to spend that kind of money without future plans.

They are trying to brand the phone is my contention thus all the cash behind it.

Big D

Reaction score
I just want it to be relevant for 2 more years. Then I'll get the next one.

Technology, if it does anything, it changes constantly. It's human nature to want your new toy to be the top of the heap forever but that's not how it works - thankfully. Within our New Every 2, there will definitely be something better than what we have right now. Guaranteed.

But that's been going on forever. Enjoy the phone/pocket computer/awesome thing.