Will Verizon help me out?

Iowaberg

Reaction score
So last night, I did the unthinkable and left my original Droid in my pocket when I got into a hot tub. It was in water probably fora minute. I took the battery out and sat it in front of a fan overnight, but it looks like I'm screwed.

According to Verizon's website, I'm not eligible for another phone until 11/14/11, although I am eligible for what looks like some discounted pricing. Has Verizon historically replaced phones for free this far out considering I've been a customer for over 10 years, or is my best option and pricing going to be on Verizon's website? Will they negotiate a better price at all? I know they are not obligated to do anything at this point, but just wondering what others have experienced this far out? Would I have better luck going to a local Verizon store or do they not negotiate pricing at all?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your Droid! I would contact a VZW CS and explain the situation. You may get a sympathetic CS who will work with you.

him

Reaction score
I doubt it. Unless you have insurance. May be able to get a used one off like. I have also heard instances of homeowners/renters insurance replacing dropped laptops. Bottom line I doubt they will replace it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Try putting the phone in a bowl of rice, should suck out all the water. Because its water damage vzw probably won't do anything unless you have insurance anyways....

Sent from my RubiXed D2G

bassmankc

Reaction score
OK the discounted pricing is the regular 2 year price, so you will basically just not get your new every two discount.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

OP
I

Iowaberg

Reaction score
OK the discounted pricing is the regular 2 year price, so you will basically just not get your new every two discount.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

Oh, I plan to tell the truth, I just wasn't sure if all reps are held to the same stipulations.

According to my account on VZW's website, I can get a 4G Thunderbolt, for $209.99. Retail price is $599.99. I guess that isn't too bad. Is that what you are referring to?

Atook

Reaction score
You can play CSR roulette and tell the truth! :D I'd approach it looking for an early upgrade

I thought I lost my Droid a month ago, and they were going to let me upgrade early to a DroidX for $100.

I had to hold out for 4G though, and ended up finding the lost phone.

chiefvelo

Reaction score
Best bet would be to try to talk CSR or tech service into letting you use all or part of your new every two for a current model or purchase a referb with your upgrade price.
imo the insurance is well worth it for the cost of something that is used and abused so much.
good luck

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Doing the math, you purchased your phone last March, which is about a year ago. They will probably offer you one year pricing on a new phone for you. They don't have to do anything, but a rep who knows what they're doing will most likely offer that. Hey, it's better than buying something you have no idea if it will be good or not off of eBay or Craigslist. It will be new, one year warranty, and a CHANCE TO BUY INSURANCE on the new phone....hint hint.

Let us know how it turns out.

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
Just a little tip in case this happens to someone else and the OP should still try this too. If your phone gets submerged in water, do this as quickly as possible:

Put a little white rice either in a ziplock bag or a tupperware bowl that has a lid.
Put the phone in the bag or bowl.
Pour more rice into the bag or bowl, completely covering the phone all over.
Let it sit for about 24 hours.

This usually works because the rice will draw the moisture out of the phone. The only time this hasn't worked from what I have heard, is when a person went swimming in salt water. However, I obviously am not promising that this will work but I have done this myself 4 times (lol) and all 4 times, it worked.

GDP

Reaction score
Sounds like you have an annual upgrade. This will be your last one, but I would definitely use it since you need a new phone. You get the regular 2 year discounted price

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

AngelBabee

Reaction score
I have found that if you go to a Verizon store and insist on speaking to a manager (they can do about anything they want) you will

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App