Wireless Charging Pad: I am busted!

salv0

Reaction score
So much for this idea. :icon_frown: After a late night, work-related effort from home, I turned in for the night (~5AM) with a 30% charge. I blindly oriented the phone in the dark until I got the usual charge-coupling feedback. Sometime later, I awoke to find the phone booting with the red-eye, followed by white light (it looked like three lines of text). I was exhausted, and didn't bother to read it; instead, I opted to power it down. Hours later, I woke up to a phone that was still charging (pad's charging light was still blinking). The phone was extra warm to the touch and refused to power on.

Resetting the battery and using the charger that came with the phone got me nowhere. So, I took it to the local Verizon store, and they confirmed the phone was dead; a replacement is two days away. They speculated that the cover for the charging pad may be the root cause, but had no similar experiences to share from other customers. I have looked around and found no such experience reported on any forum for any phone. Nonetheless, without anything to go on, I am left to conclude that the cause of phone failure was wireless charging, because the phone 'died on the charging pad'. The standard battery is not designed to take the additional heat, and is destined to fail prematurely.

If you are thinking about a wireless charging pad for your phone, be prepared for a shortened lifespan of one sort or another. I had mine for one month. My experience tells me that this form of charging is not yet ready for prime time.

bryan.teeples

Reaction score
I have seen this charging method work flawlessly with power mat branded items. I think that Verizon just went with bargain basement suppliers to maximize their profits which may be the culprit.

Sorry for your issues and those of others I've seen on these forums (lots of others have had similar experiences) but glad you posted it here for others to see.

Sent from 1976 utilizing a 1.21 gigawatt connection. Yes, bionics were around then, they were still just working things out.

OP
S

salv0

Reaction score
My more general conclusion is that, unless numerous people are raving about a particular item of interest, I will avoid name-branded products that are not the main focus of an organization.