YouTube PiP (picture in picture) no longer a premium feature

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
youtube-dark-810x298_c.png

One of my favorite features in Oreo is picture-in-picture. Several apps including Google Maps, VLC Media Player, Netflix, and Duo support Oreo PiP. Even Facebook is testing out letting you watch videos from the app in a window. I love when I'm navigating and need to do something else, PiP! Google Maps jumps to a window that I can put anywhere on my screen. One notable app not listed here is quite obvious: YouTube. Up until this week, YouTube only offered PiP if you signed up for any premium package like YouTube Red or YouTube Music. No more! The paywall has been removed and this is now slowly rolling out to everyone. I just tested it on my Moto Z2 Force running Oreo and it ran flawlessly. To try it out just start watching a video and press HOME. YouTube should minimize to a window.

Source (I first discovered this by accident at lunch today and then found a source): XDA

Last edited:

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I love pip, didn't know it was premium... my only problem now with youtube is lately while watching longer videos (critical role etc) it starts to stutter unless I put it in background play without the pip or any video showing

still an awesome feature, I just wish I had more control over the size of the window

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
3 isn't enough for you? You have the first size. 1 tap and it gets bigger. If you want it bigger just split screen at that point.
I love this feature.
3d804f204a65f2c585d11bde7958f5c9.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited: