2.1 update problem - possible brick

Valorale

Reaction score
Did a manual update of 2.1. Downloaded the update, rebooted phone holding X. Did the volume up + camera button. Ran the update. Update completed, selected reboot.

Now when it tries to boot, I just get the red Droid eye and the white Droid logo alternating. Ive let it go for a half hour and it never makes it past this screen.

Any thoughts? =(

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you're seeing the white "M" logo, you're not bricked.

OP
V

Valorale

Reaction score
That was my first thought, reapply the update.

When I hit X I get the triangle !. But when I try to hit volume up and camera button, nothing happens. Tried this about 5 times.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just push the volume and camera at the same time. Then when nothing happens let go of the camera button and push it again. The menu should pop up.

OP
V

Valorale

Reaction score
Yea took a little fiddling but I got it to pop up. Reapplied the update, no luck again, same problem.
I downloaded the update again, going to try that.

Nick177th

Reaction score
Relax Valorale. There are some really smart folks on the board. They'll get you through it. As long as you get the "Red eye" as an earlier poster stated, you're not bricked. I'm sure you'll be up and running in no time.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Button press order

Press volume button first, hold it then press and hold camera button. Works every time.:icon_ banana:

OP
V

Valorale

Reaction score
No luck again ... any other thoughts?

Thats good to know Nick, im not too worried if the phone will work again, just bummed out as like everyone else, ive been looking forward to this update

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Dear Valorale,

I suggest you start from scratch...download the update again. I wouldn't be surprised if the original file is corrupted. There is no other reasonable explanation as to why it would not take. If you renamed the file properly and saved it in the card's root directory, then if the phone recognized it when in update process, it will flash to nvram and it should work. Make sure you have plenty of battery power and DO NOT keep power cord connected (variations in line voltage and RF interference can influence flashing process). Once the update is complete and you power cycle, the red eye will flash for a couple minutes, but not much more than that. Mine went off without a hitch.

Good luck.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No luck again ... any other thoughts?

Thats good to know Nick, im not too worried if the phone will work again, just bummed out as like everyone else, ive been looking forward to this update
I'm thinking this might be better served in the Rescue Squad section under the Droid Hacks. You might get more people helping or being able to help by moving it there.

OP
V

Valorale

Reaction score
Aye Fox, I did download it again, different SD card too, no luck again.

Vulcan, is moving it something I can do or do I need a mod?

Paintfumes

Reaction score
Im having the exact same issue. I got the ota notification and pressed update now and the phone keeps going through the boot animation over and over again???

Any ideas