2.3.3 Gingerbread OTA update zip file download

barjoyai

Reaction score
hi guys, i have a question here. i have unlocked droid pro and using it in Ukraine, if i sbf my phone, will it affect the unlock? i scared something happens and the phone will be locked again. is there any chance an unlocked phone becomes locked again? i want to sbf to 3.8.7 bcause when i applied the 3.8.7 update before, i didn't unroot and now stuck with the SU apps in app tray.

heyyclifford

Reaction score
Ok so when I download the file, it is called "Droid Pro 2.3.3 update.ZIP"

Which of these steps do I use?,
1. Rename the downloaded file from "Droid Pro 2.3.3 update.ZIP" to "update.zip"?
2. Extract the downloaded file, "Droid Pro 2.3.3 update.ZIP" and get a folder called 2.3.3 and inside there's a update.zip file?
3. Extract the update.zip file from the 2.3.3 folder(from step above) and get another update.zip?

1. Open the file.
2. You will see a folder "2.3.3 ... " or something similar
3. Open that folder and you will find a file update.zip
4. This is the file you need!!
5. Extract the folder "2.3.3.." somewhere where you remember
6. Once you have done so, go into the folder and copy the "update.zip" file
7. Paste it on your SD card in the root directory (main folder of the card)
8. Power down phone
9. Turn on phone by pressing Power + R + M at the same time, let go of the buttons as soon as you see the Motorola logo
10. You will see the "!" logo, press @ to enter the Recovery mode
11. There, navigate with the volume keys to apply update
12. Let it work its magic, and reboot when it prompts you too at the end ;)

Hope that helps!

juss curious. do i need to be rooted for this to work? cause i have a virgin droid pro that has never been rooted nor tampered with.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Ok so when I download the file, it is called "Droid Pro 2.3.3 update.ZIP"

Which of these steps do I use?,
1. Rename the downloaded file from "Droid Pro 2.3.3 update.ZIP" to "update.zip"?
2. Extract the downloaded file, "Droid Pro 2.3.3 update.ZIP" and get a folder called 2.3.3 and inside there's a update.zip file?
3. Extract the update.zip file from the 2.3.3 folder(from step above) and get another update.zip?

1. Open the file.
2. You will see a folder "2.3.3 ... " or something similar
3. Open that folder and you will find a file update.zip
4. This is the file you need!!
5. Extract the folder "2.3.3.." somewhere where you remember
6. Once you have done so, go into the folder and copy the "update.zip" file
7. Paste it on your SD card in the root directory (main folder of the card)
8. Power down phone
9. Turn on phone by pressing Power + R + M at the same time, let go of the buttons as soon as you see the Motorola logo
10. You will see the "!" logo, press @ to enter the Recovery mode
11. There, navigate with the volume keys to apply update
12. Let it work its magic, and reboot when it prompts you too at the end ;)

Hope that helps!

juss curious. do i need to be rooted for this to work? cause i have a virgin droid pro that has never been rooted nor tampered with.

Nope. You don't have to be rooted. Since this is the actual OTA update that was sent out, it's always better not to be rooted when you first install it. Most people haven't seemed to have complications installing it while rooted, but sometimes there can be a lot of problems if you (like with the last Froyo update).

h1br1d7heory

Reaction score
I was previously rooted, un-rooted with z4root. Do I need to wipe cache and data/factory reset PRIOR to applying the update? I keep getting the "status 7" error otherwise...

kevozworld

Reaction score
When is the real GB push supposed to happen? I don't wanna root my phone.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
When is the real GB push supposed to happen? I don't wanna root my phone.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

You don't have to root your phone to apply the update in this thread. It's an OTA update from Verizon that someone pulled off their phone. It works just like one you'd download directly from them. No need to root.

heyyclifford

Reaction score
That is the real push. I uploaded the update myself and its runnning perfectly fine. Not rooted. Just updated and happy :) i suggest you update. U wont regret it

Sent from my DROID Pro

gsu_golfer

Reaction score
That is the real push. I uploaded the update myself and its runnning perfectly fine. Not rooted. Just updated and happy :) i suggest you update. U wont regret it

Sent from my DROID Pro

Also not rooted, but updated and running fine. I was rooted prior to the update but unrooted to install it.

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

rbw62

Reaction score
So where is the update?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

hal83

Reaction score
hello all. i CANNOT get my phone updated to gingerbread and i have no idea why. after following the list of steps and getting to the point where i'm at the recovery screen "apply sdcard:update .zip", i try it and in the beginning it says "E:Can't open /cache/ recovery / command" and "E: Can't open / cache/ recovery/ caller". it also says there's an error in /sdcard /update .zip and the installation is aborted (ignore the spaces).

someone mentioned sbfing the phone so i followed the droid pro tutorial and after the process was finished, it said PASS. nothing seems changed...

i've tried the other options as well: i've wiped the cache partition and i even wiped data/factory reset. rebooting the system leaves me where i started from.

i just got this refurbished droid pro from the web (and i live in america) if that info helps. i can give you more info if needed, thanks

Hyposprayer

Reaction score
Forgive me for seeming stupid or whatever but I feel like I need to reiterate the steps to make sure what I think I would have to do is right:

So first I need to download the thing on the post here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-pro/112314-official-droid-pro-sbf-tbh.html <--Then follow the directions right?

Then after, if I download the update on the first page of this topic, I download it on my phone directly from the post and somehow apply the update without all of this other stuff? If so, what is the sbf stuff for?

Or I do need to download it to the computer to unzip it? If so, where am I supposed to download it to so that I can apply it as an update?

On my Eris I would just haphazardly try things and see what happened. I don't want to do that to this phone since I actually use it for important things. So again, sorry if I might seem completely and totally way too careful and confused. I just want my damn bluetooth and volume issues fixed.

Oh, last thing, would this update force me to reapply all my widgets and apps?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Forgive me for seeming stupid or whatever but I feel like I need to reiterate the steps to make sure what I think I would have to do is right:

So first I need to download the thing on the post here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-pro/112314-official-droid-pro-sbf-tbh.html <--Then follow the directions right?

Then after, if I download the update on the first page of this topic, I download it on my phone directly from the post and somehow apply the update without all of this other stuff? If so, what is the sbf stuff for?

Or I do need to download it to the computer to unzip it? If so, where am I supposed to download it to so that I can apply it as an update?

On my Eris I would just haphazardly try things and see what happened. I don't want to do that to this phone since I actually use it for important things. So again, sorry if I might seem completely and totally way too careful and confused. I just want my damn bluetooth and volume issues fixed.

If you're only wanting to install the Gingerbread update, you don't have to flash the SBF. It just basically returns your phone to exactly how it was out of the box as far as everything stock goes (your personal information will remain). Unless you're having problems, you don't have to do that. It might make things smoother, but it's not necessary. The SBF is primarily if you've done something to mess up your phone or if you're having problems that you can't seem to fix. It's a lifesaver.

Just download the file from the first post and follow the instructions on the second page of this thread:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-pro/151082-2-3-3-gingerbread-ota-update-zip-file-download-2.html#post1555662

The update.zip file is inside the zip file you download from the OP, so you will need to unzip it. It's detailed in the directions. There are also a few other tips on the installation throughout this thread. It's worth skimming through the whole thing.

If you flash the SBF, you'll probably have to replace some stuff. But if you just install the update in this thread, you shouldn't have to replace anything. It's no different than downloading the update OTA directly from Verizon.

Installing this update does cause you to lose root though, and there currently isn't a way to root it. Just FYI in case that's important to you. There is a rooted version of Gingerbread that you can download through the Team Black Hat app.

Hyposprayer

Reaction score

If you're only wanting to install the Gingerbread update, you don't have to flash the SBF. It just basically returns your phone to exactly how it was out of the box as far as everything stock goes (your personal information will remain). Unless you're having problems, you don't have to do that. It might make things smoother, but it's not necessary. The SBF is primarily if you've done something to mess up your phone or if you're having problems that you can't seem to fix. It's a lifesaver.

Just download the file from the first post and follow the instructions on the second page of this thread:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...a-update-zip-file-download-2.html#post1555662

The update.zip file is inside the zip file you download from the OP, so you will need to unzip it. It's detailed in the directions. There are also a few other tips on the installation throughout this thread. It's worth skimming through the whole thing.

If you flash the SBF, you'll probably have to replace some stuff. But if you just install the update in this thread, you shouldn't have to replace anything. It's no different than downloading the update OTA directly from Verizon.

Installing this update does cause you to lose root though, and there currently isn't a way to root it. Just FYI in case that's important to you. There is a rooted version of Gingerbread that you can download through the Team Black Hat app.

I'm not rooted and at this point I'd like to get some of the basics of the phone back working consistently before I even attempt to root but I'd like to do so on this phone one day. After all, wireless tether would be sweet without having to fork over money to Verizon despite already having an unlimited data plan.

Downloading right now...wish me luck!

gsu_golfer

Reaction score

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...a-update-zip-file-download-2.html#post1555662

I'm not rooted and at this point I'd like to get some of the basics of the phone back working consistently before I even attempt to root but I'd like to do so on this phone one day. After all, wireless tether would be sweet without having to fork over money to Verizon despite already having an unlimited data plan.

Downloading right now...wish me luck!

Others have posted that wireless tether doesnt work in gingerbread. Cant verify but just tossing it out there.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using DroidForums