3 Smartphone Battery Myths Debunked

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
All my phones I've bought were shipped with 50% charge. The 6P came with 62%. I charge it and go. If it needs battery power, I plug it in, if it doesn't then I don't. I've never followed any rules on "cycling" a battery for my phone.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
They don't even fully charge them when you buy in store & they activate. They turn them right on.

How can you let a brand new phone just sit there & charge, unused? No thanks.
I start making sure my music is all in the right folders and that my cloud is updated and all my contacts..I typically dump photos (I help some friends with Facebook pages on the side) and make sure everything is good to go..make sure I know all of my passwords...then ...if the device is charged ..I start it up with the swap of the sim or logging into my Verizon and activating the new sim..I'm particular about things..I don't like clutter...my tool box, my truck, my car, my house, my office..even the office store room is clean..and organized..it comes from the wife that wasn't...lol

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Plus the average consumer don't keep a phone long enough to experience battery degradation. Year 4 or 5 is when you may see maybe a 5% degradation. Of course I need to consult with our chief battery expert @FoxKat to see how off I am.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

True, but when I was crack flashing my Droid 2 or constantly tinkering with it 4 or 5 years wasn't even in it I could violate even some higher capacity batteries in no time.

I think most of us definitely put our phone through the higher end of the range for number of annual charging cycles. More efficiency is definitely a welcome addition.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I believe most retailers are required to full activation the device before you leave the store because of potential fraud. For those that are on a device payment the payment is not fully 'attached' to the line until the new device has gone through activation. At least that is how it has been for Verizon.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk