5.1 update review, added info 7/7

I love it. I'm still having drop off with my BT in my '12 crv but it's better

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I love it too. If I had to find something negative I would say I have noticed a tiny tiny tiny bit of occasional lag when unlocking the screen, but meh, it's not even annoying.

I'm waiting it out to hear more reviews from users. I'm scared to jump on Lollipop like I did with Ice Cream Sandwich from Gingerbread on the RAZR Max. I was running great battery numbers before that update. Now, I'm skiddish on the new updates
I've really enjoyed Kit Kat as it is on the Turbo. I wish the camera was better though.

Battery seems to be a little worse but.... I use the **** out of my phone sometimes and don't pay much attention to the battery.

I think that my battery has improved, and I'm loving Lollipop. (Honestly, I always love an update. It's like getting a new phone! And I've always been fortunate to love the updates, as well.)

✋ Sent from my Droid Turbo with Tapatalk

I think my battery has also improved very slightly. I thought it was worse at first actually but after a day or two adjusting it seems to be better than ever.

FoxKat (or anyone), I have a question for you: My phone will shut off when the battery is still at like 7 or 8%, does this happen to others or is something off? I don't remember this happening before but it happened last night literally minutes before I was about to plug it back in...

I think my battery has also improved very slightly. I thought it was worse at first actually but after a day or two adjusting it seems to be better than ever.

FoxKat (or anyone), I have a question for you: My phone will shut off when the battery is still at like 7 or 8%, does this happen to others or is something off? I don't remember this happening before but it happened last night literally minutes before I was about to plug it back in...
My turbo has always done this if in use.

Mine too.
The Battery Saver is pretty good. I've never used one before, didn't like them, but I am trying it here. I like how the Notification area turns RED letting you know you are in that mode. Very handy.

To solve the issue with it not remembering your keyboard dictionary, I believe an update was sent out a couple weeks ago to include the ability to sync your personal dictionary dictionary to your Google account so you always have access to sync it back. It may not be enabled by default though to be honest so you may need to do that on your own in settings. Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I simply read the OP and didn't have the desire to read through 3 pages of comments.

Yeah I used to use a battery saver with my N3, made ALL the difference, but I didn't need it with this one so didn't bother re-installing it. :cool: I wish it would at least go to 5% before shut down, but hey, the world's still spinning and I'm still typing so...

I'm waiting it out to hear more reviews from users. I'm scared to jump on Lollipop like I did with Ice Cream Sandwich from Gingerbread on the RAZR Max. I was running great battery numbers before that update. Now, I'm skiddish on the new updates
I've really enjoyed Kit Kat as it is on the Turbo. I wish the camera was better though.
Same here. I'm holding out for a bit longer due to the same reason. Terrible experience with my old Razr Maxx after updating. Holding out hope the Turbo update will go much better based on the fairly positive reviews I've seen so far.

Shutting down with 8% in power is somewhat strange. Although percentage is a relative term and it's an indication of the approximate voltage expected from the battery when there is perhaps about 8 percent worth of remaining charge or current in the battery. The thing about voltage is that when you place heavier demand on a battery the voltage drops pretty significantly and pretty quickly so if for instince your screen is on and its doing some updates or downloading information or playing a video or something of that nature and it read 8% before that, it's quite possible that just due to the extra heavy demand of the screen and radios that the voltage would drop low enough at that moment for the meter to think the battery was dead and that would trigger a shutdown. On the other hand if the phone were in a complete rest state with screen off, it might stay powered up 4 hours starting at 8%.

Shutting down with 8% in power is somewhat strange. Although percentage is a relative term and it's an indication of the approximate voltage expected from the battery when there is perhaps about 8 percent worth of remaining charge or current in the battery. The thing about voltage is that when you place heavier demand on a battery the voltage drops pretty significantly and pretty quickly so if for instince your screen is on and its doing some updates or downloading information or playing a video or something of that nature and it read 8% before that, it's quite possible that just due to the extra heavy demand of the screen and radios that the voltage would drop low enough at that moment for the meter to think the battery was dead and that would trigger a shutdown. On the other hand if the phone were in a complete rest state with screen off, it might stay powered up 4 hours starting at 8%.

Very interesting! I do generally have several notification apps at once (GMusic, My Data Manager,, GSAM, and Power Switches), but I wasn't doing anything particularly power intensive, at least not more than usual. Is there any way to re-calibrate it or something?

Sounds like good news for the battery life. Everything else running smooth? Any gripes about anything, alarm clock, user interface, or widgets? Did signal strength improve any?
Did most folks do a factory reset after the update or is it really necessary anymore?

Back