Adobe to ship mobile Flash update for Android 4.0

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
Adobe will provide one more version of Flash Player for the new Android 4.0 operating system by year's end before following through on its plan to halt development of the software for mobile browsers.

The Flash Player version for Android 4.0 will be available for download to the new Samsung Galaxy Nexus smartphone. Early reviewers found that the Adobe software is not pre-loaded on the Galaxy Nexus, the first device to run the new Google OS version, also known as Ice Cream Sandwich.

The Galaxy Nexus is already shipping in the UK and due to come to Canada on December 7.

In a statement, Adobe said it "will release one more version of the Flash Player for mobile browsing, which will provide support for Android 4.0, expected to be released before the end of this year."

The statement first appeared on Phonescoop.com yesterday.

The statement seems consistent with Adobe's November 9 comment that it would not continue to develop Flash Player in the browser to work with "new mobile device configurations". Android 4.0 was nearing full release by that time.

Adobe also promised on November 9 it would provide bug fixes and security updates for existing device configurations, which presumably includes Android 4.0.

Adobe said its decision to ditch Flash Player was made to help boost its investment to HTML5, a widely adopted mobile Flash alternative that Apple has preferred in its products, mainly for better battery efficiency.

Source: MacVideo - Distribution - News - Adobe to ship mobile Flash update for Android 4.0

OP
BL4Z3D247

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
Just proves the G-Nex isn't as down and out as some might have thought.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Think Adobe released a statement early last week that said they'd be updating for 4.0 as well, so wasn't that worried.

I am curious though how HTML5 plays out for mobile devices.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well since it hasn't been released in the US yet, no, it's not a big deal that it isn't preloaded. They could easily have the update ready to roll out by December 8th.

OP
BL4Z3D247

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
In a statement, Adobe said it "will release one more version of the Flash Player for mobile browsing, which will provide support for Android 4.0, expected to be released before the end of this year."

I think we can all live without flash for a few weeks. The point is it will be supported on the G-Nex and other Android 4.0 devices.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think the bigger point is, we're going to be losing flash player sometime next year anyways. Websites will start to move to HTML5 I assume.

OP
BL4Z3D247

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
I think the bigger point is, we're going to be losing flash player sometime next year anyways. Websites will start to move to HTML5 I assume.

Touche.

KeepItReal

Reaction score
Personally, I feel Apple negotiated or put pressure on Adobe to put some kinks in the armer of Android. It was one of the key differences. Why going forth with this now? Apple has not wanted Flash in current native support as to not task the o/s. HTML5 is not even close to full implementation, and all the back end sites that will need to build performance in to their networks to push Flash content will be significant. It will not be overnight. Pulling the Flash native is premature to say the least. Call me conspiracy theory, lol!

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
It does seem odd, but flash does have it's share of problems. It often crashes and causes quite a bit of lag on mobile devices. I usually try to steer away from conspiracy theories, as we also have to remember that Android is smoking IOS in overall sales, so I would assume it's more profitable for Adobe to continue support of flash for Android even if IOS doesn't make use of their software. Maybe they've seen a better way to implement similar functions without the problems that have plagued flash on mobile devices. I guess we'll see within the next year.

Dcrobin05

Reaction score
At this rate adobe will have released the ICS patch and then gone ahead with their plan to discontinue flash and everyone will have fully implemented html5 before the GN releases.

mrmark27

Reaction score
Personally, I feel Apple negotiated or put pressure on Adobe to put some kinks in the armer of Android. It was one of the key differences. Why going forth with this now? Apple has not wanted Flash in current native support as to not task the o/s. HTML5 is not even close to full implementation, and all the back end sites that will need to build performance in to their networks to push Flash content will be significant. It will not be overnight. Pulling the Flash native is premature to say the least. Call me conspiracy theory, lol!

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

I dont see this happening. There was a long standing hate between Adobe and Apple, and the 2 companies could never come to terms on putting flash access on iOS. Why would they suddenly come to terms on killing flash now after not being able to come to terms on keeping it alive?

mzjin

Reaction score
Flash is incredibly bad. It takes insane CPU cycles or GPU cycles to do simple things like stream a simple non-HD video. Really horrible on the whole. It'll kill your Laptop battery life and your Phone battery.

However, a lot of video content on the internet is still in Flash (the naughty kind especially), so that's about all that makes it worth sticking around for.

Otherwise, we could lose all Flash tomorrow and it really wouldn't be missed at all. There's always an App for a site that uses Flash.

I still think Adobe's saving grace has and always will be PDF & Photoshop/Premiere. Nothing else they seem to do really works quite as well. Air seems OK, but wow, I remember the useless things back in the days like Macromedia shockwave...

Last edited: