Amazon Officially Unveils the Fire Phone

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
amazon-fire-phone-amazon.png

Amazon kicked off today's press event by coming out of the gates strong. After a few minutes of some much deserved boasting, they announced the Amazon Fire Phone, just as predicted, yet the phone was far more than predicted. With a plethora of "actually useful" features, Amazon may have just hit a home-run with the new Fire Phone!

Here's where you can grab one for those interested: Amazon Fire Phone - 13MP Camera, 32GB - Shop Now

Don't forget to check out our forum section on the brand new Amazon Fire Phone: Amazon Fire Phone

Update: There is one feature (or really the lack thereof) which could turn a great many users off of the new Fire Phone: it doesn't have any Google apps on the device. This means no Gmail, no Google Play, no Google Maps, no Google Calendar, no Chrome, no Drive, and no YouTube. Obviously, it will probably be possible to side-load all of these, but it's obviously a major slap in the face to Google and very inconvenient for many users. Could this break the Fire Phone? What do you guys think?

Primary Specifications:
  • 4.7-Inch IPS LCD Display
  • Quad-Core 2.2GHz CPU with Adreno 330 Graphics
  • 2GB Ram
  • 13MP Rear Camera with OIS & f/2.0 lens - (impressive pics so far) - camera hardware key - free unlimited photo storage in Amazon Cloud
  • Dual stereo speakers are in there, with Dolby Digital Plus surround sound.
  • Flat cables on the earbuds - magnetic earbuds that clasp them together - included with phone
Primary Features:
  • 12 months of Prime are included free with the phone!
  • More than 200,000 videos, including exclusives - all accessible through Instant Video - pre-buffered so the streaming starts right away - "We're bringing second screen and X-Ray to the Fire Phone." You can fling your video to any Miracast device (such as the Fire TV)
  • Prime Music - includes a million songs right now
  • The Kindle Store is included - as is Audible with Kindle Newsstand and Comixology
  • Immersion Reading and Whispersync for Voice are also featured
  • Mayday - free customer support - 24/7, and takes 15 seconds or less
  • FireFly - uses the camera to recognize books, DVDs, phone numbers, QR codes, CDs, URLs, games, bar codes, etc, and then finds them in its database - listens as well (basically works like Shazam) - dedicated Firefly button - can pull up in one second
  • FireFly description part 2 - can also recognize TV shows - Once recognized, you can view details and purchase the title, etc. - can also recognize art - brought up a Wikipedia entry for Cornflowers by Sergei Osipov, as well as Man with Red Hat by Vittore Carpaccio. - can recognize over a hundred million items
  • Firefly description part 3 - "Semantic boosting helps improve the probability that the character recognition gets the phone number right. He's showing an instance of the number 708, which features glare that makes it look like a 703. But since the computer can recognize that "703" isn't a valid exchange for that area code (206), it knew that it had to be 708. Also, it can compress the size of the picture by sending only the parts of the picture that matters (making it black and white, for instance, and only targeting the area of the image that contains the phone number)." ~ Engadget
  • Firefly description part 4 - an SDK, so third-party devs can use the same text, audio and image recognizers - firefly SDK is available immediately - works with Myfitnesspal
  • Dynamic Perspective - dynamically adjusting 3D - (uses 6 cameras with 120-degree FOV & infrared lights to supplement in low-light conditions - use a global shutter instead of rolling shutter) example: aerial view of the Empire State building - looks like it's sticking out of phone and it changes perspective as you move it around - will even work with maps and allows you to peek at different layers - actually functional and works almost as a 3D UI overlay - also useable in browser - tilt phone to scroll, etc. - small tilts scroll slow, bigger tilts scroll faster - Dynamic Perspective tech works in games too!
  • Android-like app grid - pin apps and content to the app grid
  • Carousel has been enhanced from the tablet version - "you don't have to launch the email app to see messages, because you can see the first few emails on the bottom of the screen. With calendar, you can see your next appointments; with camera, you can see the latest pictures you've taken or saved. Third-party stuff works as well." ~ Engadget
  • Music has a Three Panel design - left panel is for navigation (playlists, artists, etc.), while the central part lets you see album art. You can pause or go forward or backward with the lyrics showing up on the right panel.
Additional Small Tweaks/Features:
  • Can text quick messages straight from the calendar
  • Volume button can pull down the ringer volume - option to keep ringer silent for three hours -it later goes back on automatically
  • While messaging, you can pull up pictures by swiping from the right
  • In the lock screen - swipe from the right brings up a photo album of your choice
Current intel indicates the following pricing details: The Amazon Fire Phone will start at $199.99 on contract with 32GB of storage, and a 64GB version will be available for $299.99, exclusively on AT&T.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
4.7 inch screen. Ideal size for one handed use.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Now I see why Apple and Samsung buried the hatchet. They're going to tag team against Amazon in the courts.
If you can't beat them, sue them.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I think DForums seems WAY to excited about this. I'll take a MotoX+1 please.

I'm waiting for a diff phone myself, Z2 to be exact. Hoping it does come to big red.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Main issue for me is I don't want to be locked into the Amazon ecosystem.

THIS

My biggest issue with the Fire was the highly customized Android experience, and no access to the Play Store. I want to control my technology.

But this will be big hit and further make a dent in Apple's market share, so I am for it of course!

equake

Reaction score
Single carrier, no Google apps, yesteryear specs and "perceptive" sensors sounds like the Moto X with an Amazon decal. And I thought Samsung was gimmicky. LG G3 it is...

my 2 cents

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Single carrier, no Google apps, yesteryear specs and "perceptive" sensors sounds like the Moto X with an Amazon decal. And I thought Samsung was gimmicky. LG G3 it is...

my 2 cents

Moto X? My X is as close to pure Android as any phone on the market without Nexus in the name.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I really don't ge the single carrier thing. Why? Does ATT pay them for the privilege?

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Look at the Bezos on that thing. Thick. :D

@equake: Stop hating on the Moto X. You either want specs or a great phone experience, sometimes, you can't get both. Me, I chose a great phone experience after my lackluster experience with the Galaxy Nexus, going for specs (when it first came out). Great battery life, and fast fast fast. What more do you need?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I really don't ge the single carrier thing. Why? Does ATT pay them for the privilege?
AT&T pays for exclusivity and does nothing to help push handsets. They got called out at a conference last year during Nokias announcement of their Lumia 1520 (I believe it was that model number) A member of the press asked Stephen Elop and I will paraphrase "Why do you continue to give AT&T exclusivity for your best WP handsets when they do absolutely nothing to help promote the Lumia line?" That got everyone's attention :big smile: