Android has come a long way but still needs to be polished

droidXpert

Reaction score
I played with an iPhone 4 and HD7 today and was so impressed with how much more fluid, responsive, and smooth they were. They made my Droid X running a vanilla ROM with Launcher Pro seem a little sluggish. The transition animations we're just beautiful too. What I likes best were the web browsers on each. They were so much smoother than all the browsers on Android.

Granted I still love my Droid X and open source capabilities. But I really hope Google wil hurry up and polish Android more. Windows Phone 7 just came out and even though it's still limited and in it's infancy, it's just more polished than Android. The thing seemed even more responsive than the Tegra 2 LG Star that isn't even out yet just basing off videos.

But this just means Google has to work harder. Enough of the skins!!! Give us stock Android!! If all the new devices release with skins I'm just gonna put vanilla Android roms on them anyway.

But yeah as you can see I was really impressed with both other OSs and just want to see more improvement on Android.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've been saying that as well but you have to remember two things (actually I made a similar post earlier today). All Googles competitors (M$, Apple and RIM) have been around longer and have MUCH DEEPER pockets (i.e. more time and money and resources in R&D). With all things consider Android has come FURTHER in LESS time and with LESS resources than those competitors so given the same time frame it will likely develop more quickly and catch up to (and hopefully surpass) the competitors soon enough.

Remember that apple has always had COMPLETE control of the hardware for iPOS (just as they do for all their products) therefore it's EXTREMELY easy and quicker to streamline and fine tune the OS and services. M$ has been around so long and undergone so many devices they have learned A LOT about supporting multiple devices (not to mention all these 'first gen' WM7 devices were purpose built with/for WM7 so they have been 'tweaked' similar to iPOS or the way and good ROM chef will tweak a ROM for a particular device). Comparatively Android has been on very few devices and hasn't really been around that long (it was what, well over a year from the G1 before another 'major' Android phone).

With all that said Android is holding it's own and will do just finedancedroid I know I can't wait for the actual '2nd gen' Android devices in the coming months. Not to mention Android 3 or whatever they decide to label the next real overhaul of the OS (anyone remember how bad the 3rd generation of the Windows mobile/CE environment was??).

Last edited:

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Makes you want an iphone huh

Yep, my fiance got a new blender for XMasdancedroiddancedroid Anyone care to make a donation?
[video=youtube;qg1ckCkm8YI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg1ckCkm8YI"]Best use of iPhone EVER!!!!![/video]

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I ran the rough AOSP built gingerbread ROM and I have to say it was much more polished than any previous build. Everything was smoother, the menus were crisp and just beautiful compared to Froyo. So if 2.3 is a light overhaul, Honeycomb(3.0) should be big improvement. Good things are coming don't worry.

Sent from somewhere...

Fredmertz

Reaction score
I just bought a Meredes-Benz, (I'm old, worked hard so deserve one). It has an On-Star like application called MBrace.

The mbrace Mobile Application version 2 now offers Mercedes-Benz Concierge
With the innovative mbrace Mobile Application version 2, mbrace PLUS customers can access Mercedes-Benz Concierge services on-the-go from their Apple iPhone, which means mbrace is always at your fingertips, even when you're not with your vehicle.

My problem is I have a Droid. when will my Droid interface with my Mercedes?

Fredmertz

Reaction score
P.S., If this is not the right forum for this problem, let me know where I can post?

Providing a new and portable way to connect with your Mercedes-Benz, the mbrace Mobile Application enables you to access select services remotely using a compatible Apple iPhone(R) or BlackBerry(R) smartphone(1). In fact, Remote Door Lock and Unlock, Dealer Connect, Vehicle Finder, Mercedes-Benz Concierge*, Roadside Assistance and more are all at your fingertips, even when you aren't near your vehicle.

Apple iPhone(R)
The mbrace Mobile Application versions 1 and 2 are available for Apple iPhone(R) models running OS 2.2.1 or later. Once you have downloaded the application from the iTunes Store, simply launch it on your iPhone and log in using both your mbrace account number and your secure, 4-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN) - which is established during the mbrace activation process. Then you can access specific mbrace functions by selecting their respective icons.

Download the iPhone(R) application at the iTunes Store
RIM BlackBerry
The mbrace Mobile Application version 1 is available for BlackBerry Curve(TM) 8300 Series models with GPS, and BlackBerry 8820 and 8830 models running OS 4.5 or later on AT&T and Verizon wireless networks. (2) Once you have downloaded the application from BlackBerry App World, simply launch it on your phone and log in using both your mbrace account number and your secure, 4-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN) - which is established during the mbrace activation process. Then you can access specific mbrace functions by selecting their respective icons.

Download the BlackBerry application at BlackBerry App World

csimo

Reaction score
I played with an iPhone 4 and HD7 today and was so impressed with how much more fluid, responsive, and smooth they were.

That's a very good description of how I feel about it. I'm not into the iPhone vs Android kids battle so which one is better doesn't interest me.

i wish I could say Gingerbread will be much more polished, but from what I see that's not the case. The colors are hideous and their trend toward smaller buttons seems odd to me.

-Joe

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I played with an iPhone 4 and HD7 today and was so impressed with how much more fluid, responsive, and smooth they were.

That's a very good description of how I feel about it. I'm not into the iPhone vs Android kids battle so which one is better doesn't interest me.

i wish I could say Gingerbread will be much more polished, but from what I see that's not the case. The colors are hideous and their trend toward smaller buttons seems odd to me.

-Joe

You're confusing looks with functionality. The small buttons and colors are easily fixed (themes, skins ect.) the 'fluid[ity], responsive[ness] and smooth[ness]' the OP is referring to is a function of the coding and the inner components (services) of the ROM. And these are being addressed quite successfully in the upcoming release(s). I'd much rather Google spends there limited resources on the code and leave the skins to others. I've not had a phone in 3+ years that I haven't skinned (at the very least) so if the underlying code is solid it doesn't matter.

EgooEspada

Reaction score
I personally like the direction Google is going in terms of UI. The main things that need work though is a Music, Messaging and Browser overhaul. Next would be is for the apps and widgets need to be 'uniformed'. Nothing irritates me more than having some glossy black widget, then some flat white widget - there needs to be consistency so its more pleasant to the eyes.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's really a "this or that" argument in google vs. apple. android is nowhere near as fluid and responsive as ios and I don't see it getting there any time soon. However of course the "open" nature of android is something that ios will never see. Average consumers (see overwhelming majority) prefer fluidity and responsiveness over openness though...

altimax98

Reaction score
I'm a die hard android lover but one thing I keep seeing that I dont agree with is about googles limited resources.... Lol if theres one thing android doesn't have its limited resources... They have quite the powerhouse of funds and with all the acquisitions they make, they flaunt it.

But with that said they have the least amount of years of trial and error behind them and I believe that the current android is an extremely polished piece of software. Ill be a dedicated user for many more years.

I can't wait for the third generation of android products to be released at CES. I believe that this year they will finally move past that vs apple phase and grow even faster then last year

Sent from one of those missing Droids

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I ran the rough AOSP built gingerbread ROM and I have to say it was much more polished than any previous build. Everything was smoother, the menus were crisp and just beautiful compared to Froyo. So if 2.3 is a light overhaul, Honeycomb(3.0) should be big improvement. Good things are coming don't worry.

Sent from somewhere...

These are my thoughts exactly - 3.0 should blow other Android O/S out of the water :)

dbst

Reaction score

Sent from somewhere...

These are my thoughts exactly - 3.0 should blow other Android O/S out of the water :)

Isn't honeycomb only going to be for tablets?

Sent from my Sourcery using DroidForums App