Another New Guy: Droid 3 Inside

svickstc

Reaction score
I just wanted to say hello to everyone...

New to the android family coming from the other side of the spectrum (iPhone). I am familiar with jail broken iPhones, but just getting into the "rooting" of the android.

I have a Droid 3 which is rooted and currently running:

Steel Droid v 2.0
Android version: 2.3.4

Droid Bionic Start Up

It is a little buggy on my phone, "ghosting artifacts" in notification bar, sometimes have to reboot my phone for some features to work, but overall runs better than the stock rom the Droid 3 came loaded with.

Does anyone have any other good suggestions for addressing these problems?

I am looking forward to more updates from the developer :)

Also, when you update *228 on verizon, does the radiocom for the free tether go away?

Also when you place applications from your computer to the root of your SD car, once these applications are installed, can you clean up the root of your SD card and delete the .apk file?

Last edited:
OP
svickstc

svickstc

Reaction score
^^Awesome, I have slight OCD when it comes to file storage and management and just having those cluttered .apk files sitting on the root of my SD card would drive me nuts..

Also, just got the stock email app working. I was having trouble getting this to work on SteelDroid v. 2.0 but thanks to this the knowledge and resource of the forum i was directed to the actual email.apk file needed to reinstall

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
ALOHA welcome to the forum. *228 shouldnt do anything with the tether. glad the forum was able to give u the information u need

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to the forum!!

Glad you already found us a little useful lol. Make sure to stick around for a while!

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome, enjoy your stay :)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
svickstc

svickstc

Reaction score
Thanks, for the welcomes...

Any must have tweaks for Steel Droid 2.0?

I would like to know how to install the zip files Chevy provided for the Universal Inbox, and would like to have backup assitant back (does have anyone have the link for the stock app?)

How many nandroid backups is to many to keep stored? (Newb mistake i never made a nandroid of the stock rom and cant seem to get RSDlite to install on my windows 7 (if i ever decided to unroot)

My only real bug is the occasional artifact ghosting in the notification bar

Last edited:

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I suggest looking into putting the Ice Cream Sandwich (ISC) theme on top of Steal Droid. The beauty of that, plus the extra speed of your ROM is awesome. I have it over Monster Rom v1.1i. That'll change your notification bar too.

As for those apps, I believe people over at xda have those you could get. I'd ask around, I'm not 100% sure, but if I remember right I read it somewhere.

As for nandroids.. I believe however many you want? As long as you have room for them, anyway. I have 7 so far cause I kept messing up and trying new things with metamorph.

This has a lot of useful info.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...-dummies-guide-android-terminoligy-lingo.html

OP
svickstc

svickstc

Reaction score
I suggest looking into putting the Ice Cream Sandwich (ISC) theme on top of Steal Droid. The beauty of that, plus the extra speed of your ROM is awesome. I have it over Monster Rom v1.1i. That'll change your notification bar too.

As for those apps, I believe people over at xda have those you could get. I'd ask around, I'm not 100% sure, but if I remember right I read it somewhere.

As for nandroids.. I believe however many you want? As long as you have room for them, anyway. I have 7 so far cause I kept messing up and trying new things with metamorph.

This has a lot of useful info.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...-dummies-guide-android-terminoligy-lingo.html

Thanks for the input...I was actually looking at the ics theme earlier and want to give it a shot...I hope they're working on the actual os for the d3

What is monsterrom? I want my notification bar black because it is when its not dragged down but when you pull it down its blue that annoys me

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ICS has a black notification bar, and even the pull down has some texture to it. Or you can always use metamorph and get it black. But that can be tricky at times(reasons for all my nandroids).

Here's the ICS notification bar.
20111010120644.png

And Monster Rom is this - [themed rom] Monster rom 1.1i UPDATE 10/10/11 - Page 9 - xda-developersI'm loving it! I PMed the developer not to long ago to post it in the Droid 3 section here, or give me permissions to, cause not to many people seem to know about it over here.

OP
svickstc

svickstc

Reaction score
Wow def like that...going to work on that tomorrow thanks

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sounds good man, and no problem. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

OP
svickstc

svickstc

Reaction score
Thanks, another questions ha! Can you run multiple themes on top of eachother. I like the battery indicator for steel droid 2.0 but really like the look of ICS theme. Say i flashed ICS theme and then the circular teem would that work?

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can! However, the whole notification bar will change. The rest still remains though. You're also in luck because if you use a theme like this/the ones in the thread, http://www.droidforums.net/forum/st...teel-droid-compatible-themes.html#post1780489, the notification bar is black. However, the texture version that you see in ICS will be gone and it will be the same gradient you in the stock version, except black instead of blue. So ya, the same should apply to any notification theme you use too.