Any way to get the old ICS Voice Search / Voice Action back?

striker1211

Reaction score
I cannot stand the new search function. I am talking about the long (or short) press of the search key. In ICS I could hold the search key down and very quickly say "Navigate to City" and it would be up instantly. Now I have to press the search key, say "Google navigate to City.... (phone finally starts listening) Google navigate to city". Then the screen pops up with a "Navigate" button and the city name with a timer that will automatically open navigation after 10 seconds. I don't want to wait ten seconds or touch anything on the screen. I could also just slide open the Droid 4 and start typing as fast as I opened it and hit enter and boom a new dolphin instance would open. Now when I open the keyboard the new google search opens and is very slow. Plus, to add insult to injury, it uses it's own browser window to display search results. No longer can I open results in new tabs in Dolphin. My phone is rooted on JB so I am willing to install a hack. Thanks for reading.

pnwsr6

Reaction score
I hate it too, the old voice commands worked so much better and recognized what i said way better than it does now. I'm very disappointed and think this is a step backwards.

OP
S

striker1211

Reaction score
I hate it too, the old voice commands worked so much better and recognized what i said way better than it does now. I'm very disappointed and think this is a step backwards.

I am making some progress. Your phone must be rooted but I have read that basically you need to installed Voice Search 2.1.4 from ICS (com.google.android.voicesearch-214.apk) and then attach the long search button hold to the Voice Action activity. I will keep this thread updated once I take the plunge.

OP
S

striker1211

Reaction score
I personally just double tap it. Works like a charm.

Are you on OTA jellybean? If I double tap the search button while at the home screen it just opens the search. If i double tap it inside of search it doesn't do anything. Are you saying on yours it launches voice actions?

gossipninja

Reaction score
Yeah I wish long-press search brought up voice actions.

Google now never picks up the hotword detection, and it has crap accuracy...even worse, it takes 30 seconds to recognize anything "note to self BLAH BLAH" takes forever to resolve, old voiceactions did it in all in 3 seconds, push button,speak,done