Any way to support emoji outside of third party apps?

kookk

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I use emoji constantly. She has an iPhone I obviously have a gnexus.

Is there anyway I can use emoji with the stock messaging app? All the third party messaging apps feel so clunky. I'm using go SMS and I hate it.

For some reason I think I remember cm9 being able to receive emoji but not send. Are there any ROMs out there perhaps with emoji support for the native text app and keyboard?

My girlfriend and I use emoji constantly. She has an iPhone I obviously have a gnexus.

Is there anyway I can use emoji with the stock messaging app? All the third party messaging apps feel so clunky. I'm using go SMS and I hate it.

For some reason I think I remember cm9 being able to receive emoji but not send. Are there any ROMs out there perhaps with emoji support for the native text app and keyboard?

I don't use emoji's in my texting life, but a quick search netted Gerrit Code Review <-- that is merged, and looks to have send support. That is CM10 btw.

AOKP has the same patch Gerrit Code Review <-- there which is also merged (same patch).

Since custom ROMs tend to use CM and/or AOKP for pieces of their ROM, quite a few ROMs should have emoji support. Something else to consider is that you may be able to pull the Mms.apk from a ROM with emoji support and push it in another. This doesn't work all the time, but sometimes it does.

I just got the latest CM10 nightly and discovered it already supports emoji read and write and can be enabled in the stock SMS options.

Thanks for the help though, I appreciate it

edit: Actually I ran into a roadblock. I got the set of emoji's I wanted but I cant seem to get rid of the android ones. Is there a way to disable them?
View attachment 56080

Last edited:
Back