Anyone here on T-Mobile?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Does anyone else here use TMo?

How is their customer service?

Do I have to watch my bill all the time? I've read horror stories about billing errors on other carriers. I haven't had this issue, but would like to know if I should look out for it.

Will they unlock a phone immediately if I pay cash for it?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been with them since May of this year and the only snafu was when I signed up the rep signed me up for electronic bill via email and it didn't take. Called customer service after a month, the person found the problem right away and fixed it. I've had a few conversations with them when I first joined to ask about this or that, like text for data usage, how to use my voicemail (it's so simple vs Verizon it just didn't seem right) and the reps were great to deal with and had no heavily accented English .
All my bills have been spot on, even after I dropped from 3gb data to 1gb mid month because I just didn't need it after signing up with Comcast home internet. A bit off topic but with Comcast you get free hotspot on any of their WiFi hubs and anyone using Comcast commercial is required to offer a hub . Once you find 1 hub it automatically signs you in to any that you come in range of so basically I rarely am away from WiFi now so I didn't need the extra data.
As far as unlock, I'm not sure as they initially setup my Verizon Note2 on their network and I ended up buying a G2 that I don't know if it's locked or unlocked but if I understand correctly everything on any carrier sold since the Note2 was new is easily switched to other carriers via SIM card that all have global radios. I might be wrong there, never have checked to see if my G2 will work on Verizon.
Hope that helps.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

OP
Ollie

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Do they have visual voice mail?

I need the unlock for overseas usage. I will have to speak to them about it. My current carrier keeps hassling me about unlocking phones since I have switched phone models so much over the last few years.

My wife is test driving TMo right now on their 7 day test drive program and so far she says that they are working as good as our current carrier. Switching to TMo is going to save me $100 a month. When I get back Stateside it looks like it's a done deal.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes I've got visual voicemail but I've got the app frozen since I don't use it and I don't remember what the monthly fee to use it is but I'm thinking $2-$2.50, give or take .

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I'll be switching my family plan over to T-mobile sometime next week. Can't wait to get the Xperia Z3 :cool:

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
FFarl just switched to them. The coverage definitely isn't as good but as a company they certainly care about you as a customer more than Verizon. Verizon customer support is atrocious... they take every customer for granted.

OP
Ollie

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yes I've got visual voicemail but I've got the app frozen since I don't use it and I don't remember what the monthly fee to use it is but I'm thinking $2-$2.50, give or take .

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

Ok gotcha. I just need it on one phone line so that is doable.

I'll be switching my family plan over to T-mobile sometime next week. Can't wait to get the Xperia Z3 :cool:

I'm looking at the Z3 myself. I just read a post about the AT&T Note 4 not having wifi calling when using it on the TMo network which has me wondering if the Z3 is purchased from Sony will wifi calling work on it? Swappa has some Z3's for a cheaper price, but I would have to buy straight from TMo if wifi calling didn't work.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok gotcha. I just need it on one phone line so that is doable.

I'm looking at the Z3 myself. I just read a post about the AT&T Note 4 not having wifi calling when using it on the TMo network which has me wondering if the Z3 is purchased from Sony will wifi calling work on it? Swappa has some Z3's for a cheaper price, but I would have to buy straight from TMo if wifi calling didn't work.
WiFi calling is a very nice feature but be alert that it's kinda wonky if you're at the fringe area of a network you're connected to.
I tried it at my daughter's school, just to see how it works, when outside and at the extreme range of the network and a call to my voicemail took seemingly forever to connect to and sounded pretty rough once it did. Any calls within decent signal were just like being on their gsm as far as connect times and sound quality.
Since I've switched to T-Mobile I've only not had gsm in 2 places,1a small area of my local grocer, the other deep inside an older school building. Even in the boonies while out kayaking I've been unpleasantly surprised by phone calls and texts, thinking surely being so far away from civilization I'd have no signal so didn't put the phone on silent. I guess that's a good thing if I flip and lose the boat but......

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

OP
Ollie

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
With two to three bars at the house the clarity was awesome. I spoke to my wife a few times yesterday on the loaner phone that TMo gave us and she sounded great.

If you buy phones at full price do they allow you to insure them or is that only for phones that are purchased on contract subsidies?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I bought my G2 at full price and they offered insurance. I got it for 1 month so the rep would get credit for the ad on then cancelled it. It was $10 a month and a $150 deductible. I only paid $300 for the phone so the math didn't add up to being a good value for me.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

Caesars

Reaction score
You can add the normal "php" insurance if you buy it full price.

OP
Ollie

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I need slips, trips, and falls coverage for two out of four phones.

Is there a time period between the full price purchase of the phones and when I can no longer activate insurance on them?

The Note 4 Edge comes out in a few days, but I don't get home until a few weeks from now. That is when the plans will be purchased, but I'm afraid the Edge will be sold out before I get back to the U.S. so I'm getting it on launch day.

Caesars

Reaction score
You can try to order it online and have them shipped (so you have then when you get back), you can finance them-add jump - and pay them off when you get home.

Not sure if that helps, hopefully !

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I need slips, trips, and falls coverage for two out of four phones.

Is there a time period between the full price purchase of the phones and when I can no longer activate insurance on them?

The Note 4 Edge comes out in a few days, but I don't get home until a few weeks from now. That is when the plans will be purchased, but I'm afraid the Edge will be sold out before I get back to the U.S. so I'm getting it on launch day.
30 days from activation is the cutoff for adding insurance.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I went into an AT&T store today looking around and ended up switching to them. When traveling last week in the boondocks my phone roamed on them most of the trip, I got zapped for data roaming even though it was unchecked on the phone . I wasn't mad or anything because they made it right as a courtesy credit but still.
I got the same plan for the same price. Unlimited text and calls,1gb of data, $50 a month, no contract. My reception around town is just as good as T-Mobile but I now feel better knowing I can go off the beaten path and still have signal.