Anyone working on rooting Droid Incredible 2?

chinagreenelvis

Reaction score
Alright, I'm trying to follow this thread on how to temporarily root the phone to use Titanium Backup to freeze certain apps, but it's not coming together. There are a couple of references to tutorials on the XDA website but no links and Google isn't returning anything that looks trustworthy.

Also, I can't find this list of which apps are safe to freeze.

devator22

Reaction score
I read somewhere that removing/freezing backup assistant will bootloop the phone, so I left it alone. Removing visual voicemail or mobile IM kills the stock sms app, so if you remove those you will need handcent or something like it. Other than that I have frozen every other piece of bloat on the phone with no ill effects that I am aware of. Oh, I also left my verizon because I wasn't 100% sure if it was safe. As always, this is what has worked for me, but it might be different for others. I assume no responsibility for anything that might happen to your phone. Though I will try to help if anything goes wrong.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using the DroidForums app.

RedKlover

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to the Droid world, I am more familiar with iPhone and iPod Jailbreaking. But, I recently switched to Verizon and wanted to try the Droid and picked up the Incredible 2. Some things I like more about the iPhone and some things I like more about the Droid. As I mentioned I am more familiar with Jailbreaking and how simple and easily I Unjailbroke my iPhone and AT&T never noticed if I sent it in for repairs. However, this rooting and unrooting process does not to seem to be so easy. I want to root my device with the ability to unroot it and make sure Verizon does not know if I send it in for repairs. I know the Incredible 2 is still in the process of everything being worked on, but could somebody link me to a forum or tell me whether or not I can eventually root/unroot my droid easily and send it back to Verizon without any issues? I thank you for all your time.

anguish

Reaction score
Different phones have different methods for rooting/unrooting. My D2G was basically nothing more than installing an application. Once the app was installed, you told it to either root the phone or unroot it.

With the Incredible 2, there's only a temp root option. Once you reboot after rooting, the root is lost. That said, if you root and try to get rid of bloat, freeze it using something like Titanium Backup, don't delete it. That can cause problems with future updates.

Finally, the root process for the DINC2 isn't terribly difficult, but it is a little hands on. When/if perm root becomes available, chances are someone will make it easy to do...but it may take time.

Here's the link for the temp root method, if you haven't seen it: HOW TO: Temp Root for DInc2 - xda-developers

Reaction score
I read somewhere that removing/freezing backup assistant will bootloop the phone, so I left it alone. Removing visual voicemail or mobile IM kills the stock sms app, so if you remove those you will need handcent or something like it. Other than that I have frozen every other piece of bloat on the phone with no ill effects that I am aware of. Oh, I also left my verizon because I wasn't 100% sure if it was safe. As always, this is what has worked for me, but it might be different for others. I assume no responsibility for anything that might happen to your phone. Though I will try to help if anything goes wrong.

Since the Apps on the Inc2 are so close to the TBolt, when I froze apps on my wife's Inc2, I just followed the same list of safe apps that someone posted about the Thunderbolt. Here's the list I used: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/th...thunderbolt-apps-safe-remove-once-rooted.html

RedKlover

Reaction score
Different phones have different methods for rooting/unrooting. My D2G was basically nothing more than installing an application. Once the app was installed, you told it to either root the phone or unroot it.

With the Incredible 2, there's only a temp root option. Once you reboot after rooting, the root is lost. That said, if you root and try to get rid of bloat, freeze it using something like Titanium Backup, don't delete it. That can cause problems with future updates.

Finally, the root process for the DINC2 isn't terribly difficult, but it is a little hands on. When/if perm root becomes available, chances are someone will make it easy to do...but it may take time.

Here's the link for the temp root method, if you haven't seen it: HOW TO: Temp Root for DInc2 - xda-developers

I thank you very much for all the information. However, if you could please elaborate a bit on what you mean by get rid of bloat, freeze it using something like Titanium Backup. Are bloat and freeze it android apps?

anguish

Reaction score
Good list of stuff, WorldOfJohnboy. I may have to go digging in and freeze some more stuff, since I refuse to remove at this point.

anguish

Reaction score

I thank you very much for all the information. However, if you could please elaborate a bit on what you mean by get rid of bloat, freeze it using something like Titanium Backup. Are bloat and freeze it android apps?
Bloat would be the Verizon VCast apps, as an example. Basically, stuff that comes preinstalled that you don't necessarily want.

Freezing it gets it out of the way safely. If you remove some apps, it can prevent updated ROMs from installing.

RedKlover

Reaction score

Bloat would be the Verizon VCast apps, as an example. Basically, stuff that comes preinstalled that you don't necessarily want.

Freezing it gets it out of the way safely. If you remove some apps, it can prevent updated ROMs from installing.

if I use freeze it to delete some of the unwanted apps like peep and nfl they will just come back on after rebooting after rooting because it only being a temp root correct?

Reaction score

To elaborate, "Bloatware" is all the applications that come pre-installed on your phone. Many are Verizon or HTC branded, but there are others (Need for Speed, etc.) that are included with phones. There are a few ways to get rid of these apps, but because they are embedded in the phone's OS, all ways require you to have Root access.

1. Perminant Root - Delete: You have to have a persistant root access... simply root, then using a file explorer go in, locate the APK (application file) and either delete it or rename it.
  2. Perm or Temp Root - Freeze: Gain root (no matter temp or perm) access and use a 3rd party application like Titanium Backup or MyBackup Pro to "freeze" the app. This keeps the APK file on the phone but it makes it so that the phone doesn't use the app.
Note: Option #2 is the ONLY way you can stop bloatware from running on a phone that has Temporary Root access. If you were to try option #1 on a temp rooted phone, the application will appear once you reboot the phone and lose root access.

Reaction score
if I use freeze it to delete some of the unwanted apps like peep and nfl they will just come back on after rebooting after rooting because it only being a temp root correct?

If you freeze the apps with a Temp Root, they will not re-appear on a reboot. If you try to manually delete/rename the files on a Temp Rooted phone, they will then reappear on a reboot.

anguish

Reaction score

Not with Titanium Backup. There is another program (don't remember the name of it) where that was true, but there was a setting you could adjust that would correct it.

RedKlover

Reaction score

Not with Titanium Backup. There is another program (don't remember the name of it) where that was true, but there was a setting you could adjust that would correct it.

Just verifying I should use titanium backup to get rid of preinstalled apps so it does not mess up updates? And I have read on some forums that rooting can potentially increase battery life. If true is there a specific process to that?

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

leo720

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

First time rooter and poster here...

I had a couple questions and concerns...

I completed the temp root steps successfully and going by the app "Root Check" it says i have root access, but when running other programs such as Auto Killer it claims i don't have root access.

Also when i do the temp root on the phone my bluetooth will pair, but will not connect. (after reboot of phone and loosing root it connects fine)

Anyone else come across these issues?

Thanks