App updates

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'm really glad that I have unlimited data..because I swear some apps update way too often and chew through data that they shouldn't. As much as the carriers are wanting to stop unlimited, I just find it like a bad mechanic...bring in your ride and always hear that you need to clean your fuel injectors ..or chose any of several other ripoff services.

What if you only had a few gigs of data on your line..I'm thinking seniors that have smartphones only because their kids say..you can see pics of lil Jimmy with this...ugh..it wouldn't be so bad if all the updates were pretty small..but the Facebook app updates are always fairly good sized.....anyhow just a thought..

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I was going to start a thread on this today also... I have noticed the last few months I get the same update for the same apps on the same device a few days in a row... IE Tapatalk and Textra. Update Weds night no issue. Get up Thursday morning Play Store shows another update for those apps. Check update version and the version on my phone and they match. I took screenshots of it... Not sure what is going on but it does drive me nuts.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I have never had auto update turned on in the Play Store App, but I used to always have Notify Me When Updates Are Available turned on, until recently. I am tired of constant app update notifications for apps that work good the way they are now. Now I manually check My Apps about once a week and selectively update based on the Whats New section.

OP
94lt1

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Mine is set to auto update, but only over WiFi.

Sent from my Nexus 6P
But even then ..not all WiFi is unlimited.. So you're burning extra data to update the same dang app..2 times..or a week a part...that's just ridiculous...especially Facebook.. They get the app to work..then there's an update and they break it..??????

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I have not updated Tapatalk in about a year. I like the version I am using now and do not want any of their new updates.

OP
94lt1

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I have not updated Tapatalk in about a year. I like the version I am using now and do not want any of their new updates.
They screwed up tt pretty good about 6 months ago..but have gotten it better since.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I have UD and never auto update apps. I've been burnt too many times by an update that completely ruined the user experience for me. Maybe once every month or two I'll go through my apps one at a time. First I'll look at the change log to see if the update even interests me. Then I'll look through the latest reviews to said update to see what others think. If everything is on the up & up only then will I take an update. Like @sajokaz, I have a few apps I haven't updated in over a year.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I like updates. Most of the time, I check for them before they show up. Sometimes you get a bad one. Last one I got that turned me away from the app completely was Plume for Twitter, but that was mostly because I left the beta because of the bugs & then they released the update with bugs intact.

I may have already said that in this thread, but that's really the only one I can remember. Do I always agree with changes that a Dev makes? No, but I respect their vision for their creation as long as it doesn't totally break the app.

Biggest issue I've ever had with a bad Tapatalk update is notification issues. The most recent ones have either grouped notifications on their own by default, or that's a setting that I always change & I forgot.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

JRParsons

Reaction score
IMO if a paid app makes changes that materially affects the user experience, the purchaser should be entitled to a refund or a return to a former version. Otherwise your being given 1 product while having paid for a different product.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
IMO if a paid app makes changes that materially affects the user experience, the purchaser should be entitled to a refund or a return to a former version. Otherwise your being given 1 product while having paid for a different product.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
You always have the option to do like Sajokaz & not take an update. I've been more upset by a developer of a paid app abandoning it than changing it & working to constantly improve it, even if I don't always agree with their choices.

I paid for Plume premium when it was still owned by LevelUp Studios. They took way more pride in it than UberSocial or whoever bought it, so I kinda see your point, but to me, I pay for an app or IAP because I want to support the developer & encourage them to keep evolving the app.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Biggest issue I've ever had with a bad Tapatalk update is notification issues. The most recent ones have either grouped notifications on their own by default, or that's a setting that I always change & I forgot.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Nope. It was the update. While I've changed phones recently, I haven't changed tablets. Just fired up my Shield K1 & it has a few individual tapa notifications & then one that's grouped. It used to have the shade filled with them every time I turned it on. On the tablet, I don't mind the grouping, because I don't have it on me all the time, but on the phone, I like to be able to swipe away the less important ones & keep or respond to the ones that merit it.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

JRParsons

Reaction score
You always have the option to do like Sajokaz & not take an update. I've been more upset by a developer of a paid app abandoning it than changing it & working to constantly improve it, even if I don't always agree with their choices.

I paid for Plume premium when it was still owned by LevelUp Studios. They took way more pride in it than UberSocial or whoever bought it, so I kinda see your point, but to me, I pay for an app or IAP because I want to support the developer & encourage them to keep evolving the app.

Sent from my Nexus 6P
Most of the time the updates are welcome, but occasionally a developer kills an app. A couple dollars lost on an app I no longer like or use isn't horrible, but I'd like the ability to switch back to the app I liked and paid for. My problem is more with the loss of a good app then the loss of a couple dollars.
I also like to support the developers, I'll almost always buy the premium version of an app if the free version is good.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Agreed. There have been many an app where I've been more than happy with the free version, but if it's an app that I use frequently, I'm more than happy to update to the pro version (whether I need it or not) just support the developer. More often than not it's the big guys who screw up....ummmm...I mean "drastically change" their apps. For example: Google Maps last spring, YouTube last summer, Pandora in 2014, TapaTalk, Crackle, just to name a few. The smaller developers aren't quite as bad as the big dogs, but I make a habit of waiting on all updates, just to be on the safe side.

S5 tap'n