ASUS, the Top Tablet of the year

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
TF101-A1_android_L.jpg

For gadget lovers, 2011 will go down as the year of the tablet. But which big brand took out gadget of the year according to TrustedReviews?

Beating the MacBook Pro 15inch in the laptop category and the iPad2 in the tablet category, the Asus Eee Pad Transformer took out the top prize, beating the hugely popular Apple iPad2.

Hear that sound? Apple fanboys everywhere suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

TrustedReviews editor Cliff Jones said: "We felt that the Transformer deserved to win in both categories due to its clever design, build quality,versatility and excellent value. It impressed our judges who had no hesitation in naming it Product Of The Year 2011."

SOURCE: Trusted Reviews Gadget Of The Year

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
And deservedly so! I may actually bite the bullet and purchase it's faster sibling (the Prime) as my first tablet, sometime in 2012.

bluefire7002

Reaction score
Lately all these tablets have been catching my attention, at one point in time I really thought they were pointless.
With that said.. Question.. would you guys say (or from your experience) do you guys own a tablet even though you own a laptop as well?
Im asking because I own a macbook pro and recently found myself trying to talk me into buying a tablet like this one or the prime coming out lol.

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Lately all these tablets have been catching my attention, at one point in time I really thought they were pointless.
With that said.. Question.. would you guys say (or from your experience) do you guys own a tablet even though you own a laptop as well?
Im asking because I own a macbook pro and recently found myself trying to talk me into buying a tablet like this one or the prime coming out lol.
i find myself using my tablet more since its ultra portable

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I sometimes go a week or more without using my tablet. Now, maybe if I had the transformer and its keyboard it would be a different story. That really is something to win tablet AND laptop of the year.

That's MAD props. But outside of tech boards, I hear very little about the Asus. I really expect that market to go that direction, well ultimately 3-in-1 devices with the smartphone. Except Apple. Apple will rely on marketing to bilk customers on purchasing a laptop, tablet and smartphone separately (and so would everyone else, if they could).

nateccnn

Reaction score
I use my laptop every day at work as a desktop. I take it on the road for business trips so I can work anywhere. But I also use my ipad at work a lot. Mainly to remotely control my laptop as I move around the facility. On airplanes I use the ipad exclusively. When I attend board meetings I scan my materials (usually 100 to 300 pages) to PDF and use the ipad as a glorified three ring binder...annotated to boot.

There is a place for both the laptop and the pad. They really do compliment each other. The pad will not replace the computing power of a laptop for another three to five years.

Nate

Sent from my SHIFTAO5P using DroidForums

soulpatch

Reaction score
I was torn on how much I woudl use a tablet since I have a laptop in the living room. Then Best Buy was selling these for $250 on Black Friday and I happened to stumble into one later in the day when I was out and picked it up. I have been unable to put it down since and my laptop is not touched. It is faster I htink and with the ability to have the apps on there much more of a living room tool for me. I do have quickoffice and such on it so I can work on my wrok files as well though I do tend to flip back onto the laptop for that due to the faster speed of typing with the keyboard. (I have not gotten the keyboard for the tablet yet).

My wife is addicted too and it appears that the Prime will be finding its way to my house shortly...

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I was torn on how much I woudl use a tablet since I have a laptop in the living room. Then Best Buy was selling these for $250 on Black Friday and I happened to stumble into one later in the day when I was out and picked it up. I have been unable to put it down since and my laptop is not touched. It is faster I htink and with the ability to have the apps on there much more of a living room tool for me. I do have quickoffice and such on it so I can work on my wrok files as well though I do tend to flip back onto the laptop for that due to the faster speed of typing with the keyboard. (I have not gotten the keyboard for the tablet yet).

My wife is addicted too and it appears that the Prime will be finding its way to my house shortly...

That exactly how I am now that I have the tablet lol

Sent from my Transformer TF101

wricks

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I bit the bullet back in July and bought two 16GB Transformers and a Keyboard dock as anniversary gifts for my wife and myself. Haven't looked back or at another tablet since. A well deserved honor.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
as the owner of a motorola bionic phone, ASUS laptop and Moto Xoom tablet... The Prime and its keyboard will be gracing my jump kit as soon as it's released...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

bcox

Reaction score
Transformer and Mac?

I continuously go into Best Buy to purchase the Transformer, but leave with another reason why I should wait, or why I need to go iPad, or whatever. Dang it I wish I had been there for the $250 BF sale. My hang up now is this, I am going to replace my desktop with a Mac and I am concerned if I would have any sync issues or regret not having the continuity of all Apple or all PC type equipment. That said I am currently using an X for my phone. I am looking for a tablet for work related activities, and many of the websites I have to use in client meetings are heavily laden with Flash. Also, all our office computers are PCs.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

arosch

Reaction score
I continuously go into Best Buy to purchase the Transformer, but leave with another reason why I should wait, or why I need to go iPad, or whatever. Dang it I wish I had been there for the $250 BF sale. My hang up now is this, I am going to replace my desktop with a Mac and I am concerned if I would have any sync issues or regret not having the continuity of all Apple or all PC type equipment. That said I am currently using an X for my phone. I am looking for a tablet for work related activities, and many of the websites I have to use in client meetings are heavily laden with Flash. Also, all our office computers are PCs.

I picked one of these up on BF and I absolutely love it. I am a college student, so I use it to remotely control my desktop and sometimes my laptop from wherever I am at on campus which is really handy(both computers are pcs, I personally can't stand Macs). The flash on it is a great feature that is essential for web browsing, and if your work uses flash websites then the Ipad would be a horrible idea. I like the transformer a lot better than the Ipad 2; I have played with lots of Ipads and I am not impressed with them. The Transformer just seems to run everything better and faster at a way cheaper price; it's still significantly cheaper when not on sale. I like having Android on my tablet just because I am used to having it on my phone, and I find it way more user friendly and customizable. My suggestion is that if your work uses lots of flash websites and only operates with PCs then you should buy something that is not an Ipad because everything else will be more compatible. As far what to pick, it seems like the Transformer is the best option out and the Prime looks absolutely stunning.

nateccnn

Reaction score

Sync is so old school. Yes, Apple still relys heavily on iTunes for syncing your devices. The rest of the world has moved to cloud based computing where any device you have connects to the server and accesses the same file. That way you don't have to worry about /did you get the latest version by syncing?/. If you use Exchange Mail at work then it is ready for Android. If not, use Google's gmail and calendar. Even the iPad can use Gmail. I have an iPad because it was given to me. I will say that I find it useful. But I wish I had an android pad instead. Flash is still a big deal on the internet (although if you go over to iPadForums.net they will say otherwise). And I hate iTunes. It's a hassle to have to connect my iPad to my laptop by usb just to get photos and music on it.

I personally use dropbox to store all my files but there are so many other cloud based solutions out there. The Transformer has the google based cloud drive installed on it. I just picked one up for a friend for Christmas and may open it up to play with tonight so I will have a better opine about the Transformer tomorrow. But I have been using Android on my phones since Cup Cake and I've used the iPad since December 2010. Unless you are in bed with Apple, I can bet good money you would be much happier with the Transformer than the iPad.

Nate

Last edited: