Awful battery life. Is something wrong?

wahrenjie

Reaction score
I got the g-nex on Thurs. the battery was roughly @ 50% out of the box. I used it until around 20%, then charged it. It took over three hours to fully charge the battery. That night at about 12a I put the phone down for the night @ 70%. Eight hours later the battery was at 3%. Saturday I turned the data off and put the phone down and with no data running, the screen off, just stand by, the battery discharged at approximately 10% an hour. I picked up a new battery this morning and it seems to be discharging at the same high rate even though the data is turned off and it's just on stand by. Should I be concerned?

honors21

Reaction score
you should charge a new phone to 100% before using it for the first time.If you let it drain completely and charge to 100% you should see an improvement. Shutting off location saves battery just turn it on when you need it.Well at least it does charge pretty quick.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Have you calibrated the battery?

Use the phone till it completely turns off. Then Plug it in and just let it charge to 100% don't touch it or anything. If you have a custom recovery once it reaches 100% you can go there and wipe the bat. stats.

dominionman

Reaction score
An issue i have had is that the nexus dods not chargs from my old chargers from my droid or computer. The chargsr meeds to output 5V at 1amp. The chargss and usb. 2.0 xont do that. I had to buy 5 new charvers from amazon as well as a new car chargers. If you have usb 3.0 that is powerful enough. Part of this pfoblem would also be that i would leave the charger on all day at work and nothing would happen or i would even lose power.

Newps

Reaction score
I got the g-nex on Thurs. the battery was roughly @ 50% out of the box. I used it until around 20%, then charged it. It took over three hours to fully charge the battery. That night at about 12a I put the phone down for the night @ 70%. Eight hours later the battery was at 3%. Saturday I turned the data off and put the phone down and with no data running, the screen off, just stand by, the battery discharged at approximately 10% an hour. I picked up a new battery this morning and it seems to be discharging at the same high rate even though the data is turned off and it's just on stand by. Should I be concerned?

This is exactly why I returned my Razr. Here's another test for you. Fully charge the battery and then shut the phone down, as in power off. Let it sit overnight then power it back up. It should be at 100%. When I did this with the RAZR it would have lost 20-30%. No phone should lose anything overnight when powered off. If it does send it back. There's nothing you can do to fix it.

OP
W

wahrenjie

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the replies. I read the other threads and I can't believe after all the delays, Samsung/Verizon would release the phone with such a glaring problem. I really wanted this phone, but now I'm not so sure. I can't even enjoy the features for fear I'll be left with a dead phone when I really need it!

proangler

Reaction score
Its not awe full check this out today so far.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1324342024985.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1324342024985.png
    109.3 KB · Views: 369

proangler

Reaction score
And this too.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1324342107891.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1324342107891.png
    74.6 KB · Views: 347
  • uploadfromtaptalk1324342122290.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1324342122290.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 322

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thanks so much for the replies. I read the other threads and I can't believe after all the delays, Samsung/Verizon would release the phone with such a glaring problem. I really wanted this phone, but now I'm not so sure. I can't even enjoy the features for fear I'll be left with a dead phone when I really need it!
Comes with the territory. Anyone who got a Nexus should know it's a device that will have bugs due to having a new OS, this battery issue being one of them. On the bright side, this phone is heavily supported by developers and by Google themselves. It won't be a smooth ride, but it'll definitely be enjoyable.

ryguy5254

Reaction score

Well, if people stopped pestering them about it and pressuring them to sell the phones ASAP, maybe if it stayed in development a week or two, we might have less problems now.

Day 1 was certainly crappy. Day 2 was better. And now (is it Day 3? or 4?) it was better even. I got an extended battery as well and will keep the standard one in my vehicle.

haproot

Reaction score
I'm sure google + all the extremely talented developers out there will get this and many other unforeseen issues fixed. Developer support for this device is amazing from day 1. :hail:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well, if people stopped pestering them about it and pressuring them to sell the phones ASAP, maybe if it stayed in development a week or two, we might have less problems now.

Day 1 was certainly crappy. Day 2 was better. And now (is it Day 3? or 4?) it was better even. I got an extended battery as well and will keep the standard one in my vehicle.
Phones were sitting in the backrooms for a good week. Besides LTE Nexuses (Nexii) got the 4.0.2 update before the GSM version. It's simple, it comes with the territory. This is a brand new OS and like the first version of Android and the first major version of Android, there are bugs.

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
i got 22+ hrs.. but i unplugged off charger before bed (wifi), so its been idle.. call me crazy, but i think this battery/phone is better than my Thunderbolt

natezire71

Reaction score
It's the "Android OS" that's killing the battery. If you look at your battery usage, Android OS is one of the highest--it shouldn't be. Nothing you can do at the moment other than kicking back, and waiting for Google to release a fix. :)