Battery goes dead when flying my little plane. - Don't think it's a roaming issue.

Ophus

Reaction score
Freezing? That's not really true, or at least, not an accurate description.

The altitude is low, about 1,500 feet. I think it is unlikely it makes any difference to the physical uncharacteristic of the battery, more likely it has something to to with the cell towers.

Cell towers broadcast line-of-sight. If you are up in the air, you are exposed to a lot more cell towers, since the line of sight is so much further. I am speculating that this increase in a wider coverage may be confusing the phones' operating system and shutting it down. Just a guess.

It is not a cell tower problem from being up in the air. I have flown in private jets, with my phone on for 3-4 hours at a time. The impact on the battery is minimal, no different really, than being in an area without service.

I agree, that freezing is not a good term, it's more of being very cold and as you know, a cold battery either works poorly or not at all.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It is not a cell tower problem from being up in the air. I have flown in private jets, with my phone on for 3-4 hours at a time. The impact on the battery is minimal, no different really, than being in an area without service.

I agree, that freezing is not a good term, it's more of being very cold and as you know, a cold battery either works poorly or not at all.

Is the plane environmentally controlled where your phone is at?

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

OP
S

SammyQ2

Reaction score
Cockpit temperature was probably about 75 deg. F.

Warm sunny day in southern Illinois.