Battery issue questions

greycobalt

Reaction score
Love this phone except for that freaking battery. I want to get an extended one but I enjoy my case too much. Think the Verizon one would be worth it?

Anyway, I've been using GSAM to monitor my battery usage and get rid of or replace a lot of the offending apps. However, sometimes the phone itself shows way up on the list of consumption. This is what I've been seeing using large amounts of battery:

View attachment 54049

Is this because of certain apps/settings? Any ideas? Thanks!

Reaction score
what kind of case are you rocking? I love my extended battery and I have the otterbox defender with the screen protector cut out

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Is the official extended battery worth it? Maybe, maybe not. It is only ~10% bigger, so if you last 10hrs with the normal battery theoretically you would last 11 with the extended (just as an theoretical example). But it doesn't add much in size or weight, so most accessories will still function properly with it. I purchased it as it was inexpensive, and it is nice to have a spare battery for whatever reason.

Is this because of certain apps/settings? Any ideas? Thanks!

Yes, most definitely those rely on certain apps/settings.

Mediaserver is anything that plays sound out of your phone. Music, touch tones, sound when unlocking, sound when typing, camera....anything.

Magnetic field sensor helps to determine screen orientation along with the accelerometer. More importantly in this case it is also is used in obtaining GPS location and location tracking when you have location services enabled.

OP
greycobalt

greycobalt

Reaction score
Hmm. I'll have to try adjusting some apps. I've been using some music apps in my car, plugging into the AUX port. That shouldn't use too much battery I thought, if it's not coming out of the speakers.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I have the extended and for me it kills the stock battery. It seems to drain at a much slower rate so I would reccomend it. Plus as mentioned before, you now have a second battery to carry. Win win!

OP
greycobalt

greycobalt

Reaction score
Nice! I'll have to try it then. Any recommendations for a dock? There's mixed reviews on every one of them.

OP
greycobalt

greycobalt

Reaction score
No. I learned about how you have to root ICS way too late and I didn't feel like wiping my entire system to do it. I haven't actually run into any major issues that have made me want to anyway. Is there something particular you recommend?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well your keep awake time seems normal, so I'm assuming you're on 4.0.4. What exactly was your percentage after almost 4hrs? Everything seems to be normal.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Don't see a battery percentage on your screenshot. Judging by that battery bar (which is extremely hard to gauge) I'd say it's above 75%? If so, close to 4hrs with moderate use that's great battery life. Now if it's idle and draining that much, could be a problem.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Was it all wifi? Were you streaming videos or visiting websites with flash and all that?

Really too many factors that can add to draining your battery. The stock Nexus battery life is mediocre(as you can tell) and the usage you got out of it seems about right. Before 4.0.4, some phones would be like 35-45% with that amount of time. So consider it a significant improvement over 4.0.2

OP
greycobalt

greycobalt

Reaction score
Yeesh. I think I will. I'm almost always on Wifi, but I don't do videos or websites a whole lot. Mostly texting and apps.