Battery issue questions

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Just want to throw a recent find in here from my personal experience...

I have the official extended battery (which merely smooths out the back cover of the phone so any standard case should work if you go that route). I typically unplug my phone at about 7:30 each morning...I go to work and the phone is on 4G thanks to a tower being right out back of the office, phone signal strength usually shows as full, and I don't do much on the phone throughout the work day...maybe check my email when I'm not at my desk, check G+ on lunch, etc. Truly not much going on. Yet, for the past few weeks, my battery would be down to about 20% when I left work at 5 pm! Didn't know what was going on...a few times the Exchange Service got stuck and was using 50% or more of the battery...but most of the time Android OS was showing at around 50-60% of the battery usage.

I know Android OS should be up there but prior to that, the Screen seemed to be the "big" drain at any given time, pulling around 30% of the juice and Android OS was less than 10%...heck, sometimes even less than 5%.

So over the weekend I rebooted the phone. Today, same routine on my part...unplug at 7:30, generally minimal use...and when I left at 5 the battery was only down to 70%. The stats seemed to go back the way they used to be...screen being the biggest drain.

Don't know what that might've been all about but next time I see unusual battery drain I'll try a reboot.

OP
greycobalt

greycobalt

Reaction score
So stuff has been fairly consistent, even though it hasn't been great. I've been averaging around 10 hours on a charge, depending on how much I use it of course. If it's anything remotely heavy I have about an hour of constant use before it's critically low.

Today though, I was at a relative's house, and the signal was fairly weak (1 to no bars, even though it was still receiving). I was using one of the dating apps where it utilizes your location, and the phone got HOT. I mean not warm, "Oh wow my phone is getting toasty.." but like I touched it and almost singed my finger. I was starting to get worried about the internals being exposed to that much heat without melting or being damaged. Also, when it was this warm I noticed definite slow-down of the system. The keyboard would lag to the point where it wouldn't register every press, sometimes every other when I was typing fast. The home screen would redraw itself every time I was there, and some apps would take half a minute or so to load. Once I stopped using it and it cooled off, everything went back to normal, but is that something that just happens with the phone? Or is this another symptom of having a crappy unit? It sucked!

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
So stuff has been fairly consistent, even though it hasn't been great. I've been averaging around 10 hours on a charge, depending on how much I use it of course. If it's anything remotely heavy I have about an hour of constant use before it's critically low.

Today though, I was at a relative's house, and the signal was fairly weak (1 to no bars, even though it was still receiving). I was using one of the dating apps where it utilizes your location, and the phone got HOT. I mean not warm, "Oh wow my phone is getting toasty.." but like I touched it and almost singed my finger. I was starting to get worried about the internals being exposed to that much heat without melting or being damaged. Also, when it was this warm I noticed definite slow-down of the system. The keyboard would lag to the point where it wouldn't register every press, sometimes every other when I was typing fast. The home screen would redraw itself every time I was there, and some apps would take half a minute or so to load. Once I stopped using it and it cooled off, everything went back to normal, but is that something that just happens with the phone? Or is this another symptom of having a crappy unit? It sucked!

I can say with 100% certainty that your unit is defective. I can push my phone to the max in 100 degree temperatures outside and the internals never get more than slightly warm.

OP
greycobalt

greycobalt

Reaction score
I can say with 100% certainty that your unit is defective. I can push my phone to the max in 100 degree temperatures outside and the internals never get more than slightly warm.

That's...really unfortunate. Yeah it was definitely getting extremely hot. Do you think that whatever is causing this particular defect could be in cahoots with whatever is causing my 4G issues? I hope the whole phone has gone to hell for the same reason and I didn't just get unlucky in 5 different ways. :(

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's...really unfortunate. Yeah it was definitely getting extremely hot. Do you think that whatever is causing this particular defect could be in cahoots with whatever is causing my 4G issues? I hope the whole phone has gone to hell for the same reason and I didn't just get unlucky in 5 different ways. :(

It's quite possible. The radio could have an underlying defect that's causing it to overhead. Just take it into a Verizon retailer and have them exchange it. Unfortunately you'll get a refurb, but at least it will be "like-new" and should be much better than the one you have now. Good luck :)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Considering your phone got that hot, it could be that it kept losing signal and kept trying to connect, this will definitely get the phone quite warm, however, I've never heard of it getting it quite that hot. If I were you I would go exchange it, like benson said, it could very well be a hardware issue.