Battery life

Arsonman

Reaction score
Those of you with the Razr I was wondering what the battery life is like on 4g LTE. How long does it last with what type of use. Also is there any droppage of the 4g LTE to 3g and 1x like my Thunderbolt.

mister_d

Reaction score
I had mine charged 100% overnight last night. I spent quite a bit of time on it playing around this morning. I ran pandora for 15min, checked FB and email, browsed these forums, and then tried to get to know the phone itself. This is my first smartphone and I've severely overwhelmed with the amount of stuff. My battery read 20% around noon:frown: I'm hoping that when I get over the newness of the phone the battery will last longer.

I don't know what the "droppage" thing you're asking about is. There were several times that I saw it say 4g or 3g today but I never had a drop call of sorts when I was using the browser.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Let's get it straight. Battery reviews on the first charge are basically meaningless. Here's what is recommended when you get the phone:

1) Charge that phone all the way up.
2) Run the phone until the battery runs out of charge and the phone shuts down.
3) Charge the phone all the way, nonstop. Nonstop!

Do this with a new phone so the phone gets an understanding of the battery's range. After charging to 100%, unplug and use as normal.

I do this with new phones, after an OTA update, after a factory reset, after a battery change, and at least once every 2 months. Keep in mind that Lithium-based batteries don't really like to be run down all the way so try not to do it too often.

If you write a battery review, please mention:
1) if you've run it down until it shuts off and then charged it nonstop to calibrate
2) on time of display (on my D3 I go phone settings > Battery & data manager > Touch battery for stats > Display > Time on is there)
3) total time running on battery

Congratulations on your first smart phone, mister d. I've had one for a couple years and I still can't put the thing down! These forums are a good place for answers!

Smeech

Reaction score
Give people a few days before you assess battery life though. Even after calibration, I have found it takes a few cycles and battery life usually improves from there.

Benjamin

Reaction score
Two things about new phones and battery life:

1) You use a new phone very differently for the first few (or more) days (i.e. your usage will normalize)

2) There's something to the concept of the OS calibrating to the battery (i.e. the first few charges always suck)

Don't make any judgments about battery life until you've had it for a week at least, that's all.

mister_d

Reaction score
Two things about new phones and battery life:

1) You use a new phone very differently for the first few (or more) days (i.e. your usage will normalize)

2) There's something to the concept of the OS calibrating to the battery (i.e. the first few charges always suck)

Don't make any judgments about battery life until you've had it for a week at least, that's all.

That makes sense. I think I have a 14 day trial period with Verizon which should be plenty of time.

Last night I went to bed at 11 after pulling the phone off the charger (100%). I got up this morning at 8 and checked the battery and it read 50%.

The following Apps were "running" according to my app manager: (Facebook, Google Services, Sync Service, Date and Time, Weather, ZumoService, Gallery, and Multi-Touch Keyboard)

mister_d

Reaction score
Congratulations on your first smart phone, mister d. I've had one for a couple years and I still can't put the thing down! These forums are a good place for answers!

Thanks:) So far these forums have been a great resource and everyone always seems positive and ready to help!

NoStopN

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7
Twitter
@NoStopN
One of the best tricks I've used with my Thunderbolt is to turn off the data radios when you aren't using the phone. Where I work, we can only use our phones during break times. When I'm on break, I switch the data on. Break time is over, off it goes. My phone used to be showing yellow for battery remaining when I first got it, now, it loses maybe 30% during the course of a work day. HTC has a widget to make switching the data radios off/on quick & easy. Some of you guys might want to check to see if Moto offers a widget for that.

mister_d

Reaction score
One of the best tricks I've used with my Thunderbolt is to turn off the data radios when you aren't using the phone. Where I work, we can only use our phones during break times. When I'm on break, I switch the data on. Break time is over, off it goes. My phone used to be showing yellow for battery remaining when I first got it, now, it loses maybe 30% during the course of a work day. HTC has a widget to make switching the data radios off/on quick & easy. Some of you guys might want to check to see if Moto offers a widget for that.

I used a widget (edit to add: Toggle Power Control) that has wifi, bluetooth, screen brightness, something that looks like a satellite (edit to add: figured out this is GPS), and what looks like a refresh symbol. Is the data radio one of those last 2?

wolstonc

Reaction score
What widget is that??

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Cinoib

Reaction score
I had mine charged 100% overnight last night. I spent quite a bit of time on it playing around this morning. I ran pandora for 15min, checked FB and email, browsed these forums, and then tried to get to know the phone itself. This is my first smartphone and I've severely overwhelmed with the amount of stuff. My battery read 20% around noon:frown: I'm hoping that when I get over the newness of the phone the battery will last longer.

I don't know what the "droppage" thing you're asking about is. There were several times that I saw it say 4g or 3g today but I never had a drop call of sorts when I was using the browser.

Omg. You are a smart phone virgin! Wow. I'm a sp whore. The wonderful thing is these sp's just get better and better.

I have a moto bionic. I bought the ext battery (like 2750 mhA or so) and I'm using various battery saving features. I'm rooted and SqLite hacked.

I am not in the office at all during the day. I tether constantly (unlimited grandfather).

My life - account numbers, bill pay, work phone book, connection to my life - is all in here.

I have to hit the changer every day about 2 pm. It takes nearly 2 hours and it's back.

The 4g radios are crude right now. They will vastly improve as they evolve - kind of like the caveman just discovered pencil and paper.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Cinoib

Reaction score
That makes sense. I think I have a 14 day trial period with Verizon which should be plenty of time.

Last night I went to bed at 11 after pulling the phone off the charger (100%). I got up this morning at 8 and checked the battery and it read 50%.

The following Apps were "running" according to my app manager: (Facebook, Google Services, Sync Service, Date and Time, Weather, ZumoService, Gallery, and Multi-Touch Keyboard)

Have you figured out how to use "Task Manager " yet? You can check off programs that auto start to kill them 5 min or So after your screen goes dark. It's a native feature on Motorola's.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

NoStopN

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7
Twitter
@NoStopN
I used a widget that has wifi, bluetooth, screen brightness, something that looks like a satellite, and what looks like a refresh symbol. Is the data radio one of those last 2?

On my Thunderbolt, in the customization menu, I have the option to add widgets. I tap that, then I go into a menu labeled "Browse all HTC widgets". I'm not sure if Moto set up a similar set of options, so you may have to investigate on your own.

What widget is that??

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Follow the 2 steps from above. Then scroll over until you see a widget that says "settings-Mobile Network". It's #47 on my phone. Right before that, they have an option for "Settings-Data Dashboard" that shows this & other widgets lumped together.

Sorry for the hijack, RAZR owners. :biggrin:

Deron

Reaction score
How long does it last with what type of use.

In about a week I will be posting a detailed review of battery life of the Droid Razr verses Droid X, with a breakdown for different activities. This process takes a while since I run the experiments multiple times to replicate and validate the results. Right now I'm testing the Razr with Netflix on 3g. Will also do the same using 4g. Already completed the tests on the Droid X.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums