Best Droid X case

zero7404

Reaction score
i tried the otterbox defender. just dont like it.

the port covers are a nice feature to have, keeps moisture from infiltrating the device internals.

sent via android

zero7404

Reaction score
Why are you selling the commuter.

I didn't like the slippery feel of the plastic outer case, I didn't like the idea of a stick-on screen protector, and the rubber flap wouldn't go in the plug holes and was just hanging out there.

I like the feel of the bigger cases, makes the phone more secure in my hands. So with that said, I using the Defender now and I'd like to try out a Kraken.

Steve

about the slippery feel ... i don't like it either. it's nice for getting the phone in/out of pockets, but when you try to rest it somewhere in your car upright, it'll slip. it also doesn't stay in one place if you put in on the seat in a car.

i've handled the defender, the commuter, i decided to buy the silicrylic. the one thing i noted with the commuter is that it went on even with the extended battery door. but otterbox never addressed the flaps problem this case has, they are not designed the same way as in the droid/droid 2 case (nicely done with those cases), the flaps of silicon are trying to join up with the hard plastic shell, doesn't work.

i wanted sealed ports, but i'll live without them ... between seidio and incipio, i'd go with incipio ... better design and quality.

only concern i have about the incipio is the really flimsy corner where a lanyard is meant to go, there's no reinforcement in that part of the case.

repo_man

Reaction score
(little lurker, now poster :))

Could any of you post pics of your cases? I've been looking around at the Incipio and kraken online but can't find anything more than stock images of the cases. I'd like to see what all these cases look like on the DX.

Also, any suggestions for thin(er) cases? I don't like bulky Kraken. I'd like to keep the sleek, thin feel of my DX.

Reaction score
Hi, Im using the body glove but its a lil beat up but it works great, do you still want a picture ?

repo_man

Reaction score
Hi, Im using the body glove but its a lil beat up but it works great, do you still want a picture ?
Yea, I don't care what the cosmetic shape is, lol. I'm just trying to see which ones look like on the phone itself. I'm about to head to BestBuy up the street and look at what they have to get a hands-on look.

xCore

Reaction score
Yea, I don't care what the cosmetic shape is, lol. I'm just trying to see which ones look like on the phone itself. I'm about to head to BestBuy up the street and look at what they have to get a hands-on look.

not a whole lot of choices in bb around here, a rocketfish case, a seidio case, and if you're extremely lucky maybe an otterbox.

and my 2 bits.. i'm really diggin' my rugged case, especially since i'm docking it on a slipgrip vehicle mount now, the one downside i have is the weight of the case on the holster, it starts to get pretty noticeable on your hip after a while

bsbabcock

Reaction score
I'm using the verizon snap on case with holster and have absolutely no complaints. Excellent product. Thin, good texture for a solid group, sturdy holster. Its held up very well since november.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

repo_man

Reaction score

not a whole lot of choices in bb around here, a rocketfish case, a seidio case, and if you're extremely lucky maybe an otterbox.

and my 2 bits.. i'm really diggin' my rugged case, especially since i'm docking it on a slipgrip vehicle mount now, the one downside i have is the weight of the case on the holster, it starts to get pretty noticeable on your hip after a while
Never did make it to BB, lol. Didn't want to spend the gas just to window shop. :p Will do it later. The problem for me is the rugged cases are so huge. :redface:
I'm using the verizon snap on case with holster and have absolutely no complaints. Excellent product. Thin, good texture for a solid group, sturdy holster. Its held up very well since november.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Is that the hard plastic one? I saw one when I bought my DX but figured I could get it a lot cheaper from online than in verizon, lol.

jeff0r3

Reaction score
I just bought a otterbox defender. Put it on my belt, and got asked by a woman yesterday was it a laptop... I gotta say, the nerd factor was really high when I told her it was my Droid X... Deal Breaker for me.. Hope Verizon will take it back.

jkinsey435

Reaction score
I'm looking for a belt clip/holster type case. Do you have to buy a case in order to use a holster? If so, what is the best combo? I would assume the case would be mated to the holster. I love my X but it's too big for my pockets and my purse pocket, especially when travelling, so I'd like to get something I can clip to my belt.

c_m_chance

Reaction score
I've been using the Otterbox Commuter. It's been pretty good. The phone has taken some pretty hard drops and the case took all the impact and nothing ever happened to the phone. HOWEVER! I DO NOT like the separated screen protector from the case. I found out the hard way that isn't a great design. I was at a relatives house and had my phone sitting on a table and a drink got knocked over. When it spilt, some of it landed on the screen of my phone. The liquid (Jack Daniels and Coke) seeped inside the case and down in the internals. The phone still works, but the back button is like in permanent press mode (everything I try and open automatically gets back out of). I wound up having to get a new phone (another DX). So the next case I'm getting is the Kraken. That case looks legit!! Seems to be very well built AND it has the screen cover attached to the case. Sounds promising to me.

I'll let the masses know about my thoughts when I get it in this week.

zero7404

Reaction score
i disliked what otterbox's commuter case did to my d2g, scratched the screen bezel up ... since i sold the phone, complained to otterbox and had them send me a commuter for the X since i got one. this case hasnt been too bad, its better design due to no slide out kb, and no hard plastic touches the phone, only the silicon.

so far no other case i found for the X provides covers for ports other than the defender, but that case is bulky & doesnt exactly protect the phone the same way ...

i also bought a silicrylic and keep that around if the commuter ever breaks.

sent via android

c_m_chance

Reaction score
Got the Kraken in today! I've been using it all day and it feels GREAT in the hand! It definitely is hard to swipe close to the edge of the screen (such as trying to move a widget from one home screen to another). But after playing with if for a while you find tricks of how to make it work for you. The menu, home, back, and search buttons are nice and firm! They don't have a lot of play when you go to push them, which I like. (On the commuter the buttons were kinda squishy it seemed like.)

It is a bit bulky, but I think that is expected when you buy any of the ultimate protection cases (Seidio Rugged, Otterbox Defender, or the Trident Kraken). And ultimate protection is what it is! This thing is hardcore! But it should be noted, it still fits in my pocket.

The built in screen protector is really nice too. I have a regular stick on screen protector on the phone and even with it and the Kraken case protector, it still detects my finger just fine.

Overall, this is a really nice case! I like it a whole lot! I should also add, I got it on eBay, BRAND NEW, for $21.95 SHIPPED! I highly recommend this case! It's great!

jkinsey435

Reaction score
Guys are lucky...they put deep pockets in men's pants. Not so much in women's pants. My X barely fits in the front pocket of my purse where I like to keep my phone and it definitely doesn't fit in my pants pockets. :shrug:

zero7404

Reaction score
Guys are lucky...they put deep pockets in men's pants. Not so much in women's pants. My X barely fits in the front pocket of my purse where I like to keep my phone and it definitely doesn't fit in my pants pockets. :shrug:

picturing that is kind of funny .... but seriously, the X is a big fone, not much you can do for your situation than to get a pouch for it or something with a belt clip if you're into that.

with a beltclip/holster you can also clip it to your pocket, so it's ok if it's sticking out part of the way. if you carry a purse, belt clip it to the purse.

but if u prefer it on you at all times, maybe u'd be best off with a smaller form-factor fone like the incredible