Best rooting how to......

Aiesline

Reaction score
What would you consider the best rooting howto for the complete rooting noob?

I've never rooted or jailbroke a phone before and there are several howto's out there. I don't know which is the best for a noob and the most relevant for now. Some of them are several months old. I'm terrified I'll brick my phone so is there a way to "back up" the original from the factory to "fix" the phone with if it all goes terribly wrong?

Thanks in advance

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
There are many sources for this man, and they are all very good. No need to post a thread really. Search.

depdaDROID

Reaction score
If you are that worried you might brick your Droid why don't you try and see if there is a member in your area who has some expertise and is willing to take the job on?

OP
Aiesline

Aiesline

Reaction score
There are many sources for this man, and they are all very good. No need to post a thread really. Search.

Why yes there are a LOT of sources. Some of them conflicting, hence the asking for clarification of the best one and most relevant one. Call me crazy I want to make sure I don't use a poorly written how to. If you read my OP You will see I didn't ask for snide snarky comments, I asked for a answer to a question. Which is the best howto and most relevant since there are so many available when one searches for it?

But thanks for playing anyhow. Moving on.

If you are that worried you might brick your Droid why don't you try and see if there is a member in your area who has some expertise and is willing to take the job on?

While this is certainly an option... I won't learn how doing it this way, and if it does get messed up I don't want anyone to blame but myself. Thank you for the suggestion though.

Having someone walk me through it could be a very good option though. Anyone in the Mizzou area willing?

OP
Aiesline

Aiesline

Reaction score
Thanks bunches!

Edit:

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

Drat. Second option?

DroidxRage

Reaction score
np, I've rooted about 6 or 7 droids using just the methods on that site... works like a charm, and you actually know what you did so when it's time to change something, you're more apt to know how to fix it. :)

virtualhuman

Reaction score
Read Matth3w's how-to. I followed it having never rooted the phone before and everything worked perfectly: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...-phone-2-1-rom-o-c-mm-boot-animation-etc.html
He's going to have the same problem. I rooted on Saturday for the first time. I started trying to follow Matth3w's guide, had it printed out and everything. But that same site had bandwidth exceeded, so I had to go searching for another link. Found one on alldroid but I read a poster yesterday or today that said that one's down now too.

Also - as awesomesauce as Matth3w's guide is (very much so!) - the links and some of the info are a bit outdated. It still references Sholes.info to get something needed to flash SPRecovery.

After all that careful, OCD planning, I ended up manually applying an update.zip to gain root and then using DMUpdater to finally get SPRecovery after ROM Manager was only booting into stock recovery when trying to flash either SPR or CW.

To the OP - as much as I wanted to do it all manually, I can tell you it is a heck of a lot easier to just read up on DMUpdater and rooting/flashing in general so you have some idea what's going on, then just taking the easy way to root & get SPR. Then flash whatever ROM you want.

DroidxRage

Reaction score
rootyourdroid.info has pictures, makes a big difference IMO

I'm against any auto-root apps as a rule, as it leaves people more clueless when they encounter issue because they have no idea what the app did. YMMV, just my $0.02. :)

virtualhuman

Reaction score
rootyourdroid.info has pictures, makes a big difference IMO

I'm against any auto-root apps as a rule, as it leaves people more clueless when they encounter issue because they have no idea what the app did. YMMV, just my $0.02. :)
That would be great, if the site was working. Click:

http://rootyourdroid.info/

That's part of the problem people are having right now. A lot of the places to grab an update.zip to root manually are down.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
What would you consider the best rooting howto for the complete rooting noob?

I've never rooted or jailbroke a phone before and there are several howto's out there. I don't know which is the best for a noob and the most relevant for now. Some of them are several months old. I'm terrified I'll brick my phone so is there a way to "back up" the original from the factory to "fix" the phone with if it all goes terribly wrong?

Thanks in advance

My thoughts follow:

If you are considering rooting your phone, I suggest that you go to the Droid Hacking section of the forum and read as many threads as possible. There are several videos on YouTube that step you through the rooting process. Some processes such as, DMUpdater (Loading DroidMod Roms with DMupdater, Reflashing to Older Sholes/DroidMod Roms), do a lot of the work for you. Other processes such as Matth3W's tutorial (Complete How-To on How to Mod Your Phone (2.1 ROM, O/C, MM, Boot Animation, etc)) require you to enter the SU (super user) commands yourself. Rom manager is a new application that has just been released. I've not used that particular app so I'm not comfortable providing any suggestions. I prefer the hands on approach so I used Matt's tutorial to root my phone.

The newest rom releases are 2.1. Since you are moving from stock which is a 2.0.1 you will need to wipe your data and cache.

At first, all of this may seem daunting, but if you prepare by reading, making notes, etc you will successfully root your phone. There will be someone here to help you every step of the way.

Hope this helps and gets you started.

Mike

OP
Aiesline

Aiesline

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I get to do a bit of studying :)