Bionic just bricked itself? com.android.phone has stopped

OP
H

hAHAha_Halo

Reaction score
Well that wasn't worth it. 3 days of waiting for a cable, and 30 minutes of holding the phone a certain way, it finally did it.. and nearly bricked it. Got it to boot it up again, and android.process.phone has stopped. I'm going with the rooting option.

OP
H

hAHAha_Halo

Reaction score
Can't root it.

So here's what I've noticed:
Can't do factory resets or anything with it. It is stuck exactly the way it is. Every time I mess with the settings, when I reboot it the settings go right back to the way they were.

I am SEVERELY pissed at Verizon. I have friends who have told me that they just go in and complain and they get a brand new phone. I go in, asking for a CLN phone, A CERTIFIED LIKE-NEW REPLACEMENT PHONE, and that was AFTER he told me he couldn't do anything to fix it, and they won't even do that for me. They tell me either to upgrade when I don't have the money because I'm a freshman in college, and that my other option is to root it and fix it myself. My girlfriend had a phone that was out of warranty, had water damage, dropped on cement, and was 2 months away from her upgrade date, and she was given a brand new RAZR M. That was 2 months ago. She's available for an upgrade right now. We've been loyal to Verizon for 8 years, and I've been nice and haven't stormed into Verizon, haven't been frustrated with any of the employees, in fact I've been understanding with them until now. This is the biggest load of bull that I've ever been through. Maybe I'll walk into the Verizon store that's near campus and if/when they tell me that they won't do anything for me, I'll just tell them that I guess I have to wait for my contract to end to switch to AT&T or something for better customer service, which is actually HILARIOUS since it's right next door to the Verizon store, and I'll just tell them "Yeah, I gotta go next door now" and literally walk into the AT&T store. I'm not playing nice with Verizon anymore.

tommyg562000

Reaction score
Can't root it.

So here's what I've noticed:
Can't do factory resets or anything with it. It is stuck exactly the way it is. Every time I mess with the settings, when I reboot it the settings go right back to the way they were.

I am SEVERELY pissed at Verizon. I have friends who have told me that they just go in and complain and they get a brand new phone. I go in, asking for a CLN phone, A CERTIFIED LIKE-NEW REPLACEMENT PHONE, and that was AFTER he told me he couldn't do anything to fix it, and they won't even do that for me. They tell me either to upgrade when I don't have the money because I'm a freshman in college, and that my other option is to root it and fix it myself. My girlfriend had a phone that was out of warranty, had water damage, dropped on cement, and was 2 months away from her upgrade date, and she was given a brand new RAZR M. That was 2 months ago. She's available for an upgrade right now. We've been loyal to Verizon for 8 years, and I've been nice and haven't stormed into Verizon, haven't been frustrated with any of the employees, in fact I've been understanding with them until now. This is the biggest load of bull that I've ever been through. Maybe I'll walk into the Verizon store that's near campus and if/when they tell me that they won't do anything for me, I'll just tell them that I guess I have to wait for my contract to end to switch to AT&T or something for better customer service, which is actually HILARIOUS since it's right next door to the Verizon store, and I'll just tell them "Yeah, I gotta go next door now" and literally walk into the AT&T store. I'm not playing nice with Verizon anymore.

Why do you keep trying to root? Root will not help you in your current circumstances! Follow the directions posted above and you will have a working phone again.

OP
H

hAHAha_Halo

Reaction score
Why do you keep trying to root? Root will not help you in your current circumstances! Follow the directions posted above and you will have a working phone again.

I just did. Let me try to put this in simpler terms, there is nothing that will fix this phone. HoB did not work. When it got to the wiping 'data' and wiping 'cache' portions, it took 0.216 seconds each. I still have all of my apps and everything on there. Factory reset DOES NOT WORK, which people seem don't seem to understand. HoB almost bricked it at first, then trying it a second time was successful in reflashing, but the error was still there.

Secondly, every time it reboots, settings go back to the way they were before.
o) Enable USB debugging
o) [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]Set[/FONT] USB to Charge Only (Gingerbread) or MTP (ICS)

[/FONT]
And not mentioned in HoB's online guide, "Boot into AP Fastoot.", which requires rebooting the device. Do you see the issue there. Unless there is a way to root/flash/repair the device without turning the device off, there is no way to repair it.

Bratster2

Reaction score
Have you tried using rsdlite and the fxz file? That completely wipes everything but ext SD card. Formats all the partitions to stock.

OP
H

hAHAha_Halo

Reaction score
Have you tried using rsdlite and the fxz file? That completely wipes everything but ext SD card. Formats all the partitions to stock.

Every single thing has been tried. Every option on HoB, including RSD, Keep Data and Factory Reset. So far I have tried 3 different rooting methods, including Oneclickroot (but does not guarantee support on Bionic), as well as 2 other rooting methods I can't think of their names right now. I'm considering mailing it to anyone who wants to take a crack at it, but still, I'm a broke college freshman,​ so my options are limited right now.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I just did. Let me try to put this in simpler terms, there is nothing that will fix this phone. HoB did not work. When it got to the wiping 'data' and wiping 'cache' portions, it took 0.216 seconds each. I still have all of my apps and everything on there. Factory reset DOES NOT WORK, which people seem don't seem to understand. HoB almost bricked it at first, then trying it a second time was successful in reflashing, but the error was still there.

Secondly, every time it reboots, settings go back to the way they were before.
o) Enable USB debugging
o) [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]Set[/FONT] USB to Charge Only (Gingerbread) or MTP (ICS)

[/FONT]
And not mentioned in HoB's online guide, "Boot into AP Fastoot.", which requires rebooting the device. Do you see the issue there. Unless there is a way to root/flash/repair the device without turning the device off, there is no way to repair it.

since you seem content to bark at us and also seem to have all the answers then, why did you ask for our help?

HOB does work, and i CAN boot YOUR phone into ap fastboot, I GUARANTEE IT.

OP
H

hAHAha_Halo

Reaction score
since you seem content to bark at us and also seem to have all the answers then, why did you ask for our help?

HOB does work, and i CAN boot YOUR phone into ap fastboot, I GUARANTEE IT.

I'm not barking at you guys, it's just when someone has an issue with a phone, people ask the most elementary questions. Did you restart it? Did you pull the battery? Did you do a factory reset? Did you wipe the cache partition? Did you try going into recovery mode to do all that? Did you try doing the factory reset from the settings menu in the phone?

I'm not a phone noob, this is just an advanced problem. I have done everything I can that wouldn't void a warranty, and I've attempted to use rooting softwares and the House of Bionic.

House of Bionic almost worked, until it got to the Factory Reset and Wipe Cache phase. Then, just like every single time, it says it finished the factory reset and wipe cache or whatever, but it didn't. It took less than a second. If you would like, I will mail it to you when I get the money. I'm not being sarcastic about that, I'll mail it to you if you'd like to take a crack at it. I'll give you a reward (college freshman, keep that in mind, so it won't be much), if you are able to get it working again, and I'll include the cost of shipping it back to me. I'm stuck with the Casio Gz'one Commando right now, I'd love to have my good old working Bionic back, get off of this slow, 2.3.4 phone, that has less than 150MB of internal storage available. If you're seriously interested in this, here's a list of everything that I've been able to observe about it:

• On bootup, when it's transitioning from the Motorola 'M' to the Droid Bionic animation, the screen turns off for a split second.
  • Errors:
    • "Unfortunately, the process com.android.phone has stopped." (OK)
      • Pops up within a half of second of closing it, you have to be very quick.
    • "Unfortunately, the process com.motorola.process.system has stopped." (OK)
    • "Unfortunately, com.google.android.music has stopped." (Report)/(OK)
    • "Unfortunately, application Gallery has stopped."
  • There is no cell phone signal.
    • I just found this out, but I believe wifi can connect.
  • The Google Play Store and Play Music apps are missing, as well as the shortcut to the market in the app tray.
  • On reboot, any settings that have been changed are changed back to the way they were, including USB debugging back to 'off', INCLUDING my screen lock.
    • If you would like me to mail it to you, I will include the pattern unlock sequence.
  • After 5-10 minutes, the errors eventually stop, or the phone freezes up and after a few more seconds the screen turns off and does not turn on again.
    • Whether or not the errors stop, the phone will freeze at one point, the screen will turn off, and will not come back on.
      • If you do not pull down the notification bar after reboot and it freezes and the screen turns off, the green notification light will blink, just like on all Motorola Android phones.
  • Factory Resets via the Settings menu and the Recovery menu do not work.
    • From the settings menu, it doesn't seem to ever complete the process, or takes several minutes to do so.
    • From the recovery menu, it takes about 0.2 seconds to complete.

• Uninstalling apps does nothing - Uninstalled several apps, and upon reboot they were all still there.
  • There are two apps in the app tray that shouldn't be there, and I'm assuming that they're supposed to be the Play Store and Play Music.
    • com.android.vending.AssetBrowserActivity
    • com.android.music.activitymanagement.TopLevelActivity
  • Going into Settings>About Phone>Status does not work. You also cannot access the IMEID# if that's what it's called. Not even by pressing *#06#.

And numerous other issues I cannot think of right now. If I do mail it to you, I highly recommend using one of your own SD cards because I'm using mine right now in my temporary phone. I tried using a 1GB card for HoB, but that was stopped short because the FXZ files require more space than that.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
if your phone boots 99.99% of the time it can be fixed, if there is something you did or was trying to do that led to all this mess, i would also like to know.

i would like you to try something,
take out the battery,
hold both volume buttons at the same time,
put the battery back in,
if nothing happens, continue holding vol buttons and push power until the screen comes on then release all the buttons,

report back with what exactly happens if its not a text screen.

it should be a text screen and one option is "fastboot",
push volume down and highlight it then push volume up and tell me what the screen says now.

OP
H

hAHAha_Halo

Reaction score
AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)
0A.78

Battery Low
Cannot Program
Connect USB
Data Cable

- - -
Literally, I did nothing to this phone. I had no intentions of modifying the phone in any way shape or form, this phone was supposed to last a few more months. I didn't try to 'extend' it's life by rooting it, or mess with the software, I've been out of that game for 3 years. I think the last thing it tried doing was trying to open up the Google Play Store, nothing hacked or anything, I was going to go browse the market to see if there was anything new because I do that a lot.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)
0A.78

Battery Low
Cannot Program
Connect USB
Data Cable

- - -
Literally, I did nothing to this phone. I had no intentions of modifying the phone in any way shape or form, this phone was supposed to last a few more months. I didn't try to 'extend' it's life by rooting it, or mess with the software, I've been out of that game for 3 years. I think the last thing it tried doing was trying to open up the Google Play Store, nothing hacked or anything, I was going to go browse the market to see if there was anything new because I do that a lot.

ok just an fyi,
somewhere down there you said this ""Boot into AP Fastoot.", which requires rebooting the device. Do you see the issue there"
your phone is in ap fastboot now. issue resolved

now you need to charge the battery, that's why it "cannot program".
is it possible to plug the phone in and it will charge? (btw, just pull the battery and replace to get out of fastboot for now)
or boot it up and don't touch anything, will it stay on long enough to charge?

we need juice or you cant proceed lol
see what you can do about that and we can continue later accordingly.

OP
H

hAHAha_Halo

Reaction score
Getting into fastboot is not the problem, USB debugging is not enabled now, unless I don't need USB debugging

OP
H

hAHAha_Halo

Reaction score
That still doesn't explain how HoB will help me when I've already attempted it before, and it said it was successful