BlackBerry style holster for Droid 2?

metroplex

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for a BB-style holster that will accept a Droid 2?

I noticed the dimensions of the iPhone 3GS / 4 are close enough to the Droid 2 that many of their holsters should fit.

I don't intend to use any type of case on the Droid 2, I just need a BB-style magnetic flap holster that clips onto my belt. I have to crawl around machinery sometimes and the Seidio cases look like a glutton for punishment.

dcantrel

Reaction score
you dont want to use a case with a magnet in it, it will activate either the car or home dock profiles. i have a great case made for the htc 8125 with velcro closure that fits just perfect but most days just use the D1 plastic snap-in holster

OP
metroplex

metroplex

Reaction score
What happens if I lock the Droid 2 and use the magnetic case? Would it still activate the dock / car mode?

So any case that was designed for Droid 1 will work on a Droid 2?

dcantrel

Reaction score
even if you lock it the magnet would activate the dock modes from what i have seen happen with mine, not all D1 cases fit but a vast majority will

OP
metroplex

metroplex

Reaction score
Did you try DockBlocker or Dock Nothingness? They appear to disable the docking feature. I don't use a dock, and I intend to use a universal car mount. The local Verizon store didn't have any docks for the Droid 2 either.

OP
metroplex

metroplex

Reaction score
You're right about the magnets. I tried a BB case and the magnet kept activating dock mode.

I ended up getting the Superior holster / case combo for the D2 (sold at the Verizon store). It ended up being $23 and change after tax with my GOV discount. I see that it is $20 shipped online.

I noticed that there were special "side" holsters with dual magnets that did not trip the Droid 2, and there was a Verizon "leather" velcro holster as well.

SID KELLY

Reaction score
Verizon now has a hard shell case back that the D2 just snaps into--face forward so there is no extended battery clearance issue--saw an APD chopper pilot had on on his 'rig' so I got one and works great

OP
metroplex

metroplex

Reaction score
They showed it to me at the store. It is like a Seidio style case, but it leaves the back of the Droid 2 exposed. The top clip also looks pretty weak though. The one I ended up buying was a 3 piece setup: 2 of them are covers that clip onto the Droid 2 that gives it a shell, and the holster that clips onto the belt and retains the Droid 2 + shell (sort of like a retention holster for a pistol).

My #1 choice for a case would be a BlackBerry style - easy to clip onto my belt and protects the phone, but the magnet issue prevents that.

LoneWolf15

Reaction score
They showed it to me at the store. It is like a Seidio style case, but it leaves the back of the Droid 2 exposed. The top clip also looks pretty weak though. The one I ended up buying was a 3 piece setup: 2 of them are covers that clip onto the Droid 2 that gives it a shell, and the holster that clips onto the belt and retains the Droid 2 + shell (sort of like a retention holster for a pistol).

My #1 choice for a case would be a BlackBerry style - easy to clip onto my belt and protects the phone, but the magnet issue prevents that.
I looked at the one you ended up buying. It's definitely the most protective, but I didn't think I'd be able to get my phone out as fast as I want regularly (constantly getting text, e-mail, and the odd call here and there for work). I ended up getting the Body Glove case that detaches from the clip.

OP
metroplex

metroplex

Reaction score
I agree, it isn't really a quick draw case. The body glove system does look a lot better, they didn't have that at the store for some reason.

dso227

Reaction score
FWIW I have used my Blackberry Storm holster. It fits the Droid 2 fine. The Droid is a tad longer than the Storm but it is a bit more narrow so it fits well. I can still see the little message light when a text comes in. I am probably going to spring for a new holster someday though.

dso227

Reaction score
A point of clarification: the Storm case uses a magnet and so this will only work for your phone if it's shut off, not on standby.

m42technic

Reaction score
Just an FYI, the Sena UltraSlim case for the D1 doesn't fit the D2 correctly. :-(

jreilly37

Reaction score
I carefully cut the magnets out of my BB holster. Now i just have to get some Velcro tape and i should be good to go. :)

Kamokazi

Reaction score
I have used two magnetic cases with zero issues on activating dock mode. It depends on the case and magnet placement.

I am a big fan of Easecase on eBay...very nice cases, a little pricey ($40) and take a while to arrive (2 weeks), but you can fully customize them. They have magnetic and non-magnetic latching options, you can pick belt loop style, internal and external colors, etc. You can also add notes to modify the cases slightly like putting a hole in the bottom to push the phone out.

EASECASE items - Get great deals on Pay by USD, Desire HD items on eBay Stores!