[Breaking] Android Market for the Web Just Released

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
The market does not seem to know my device

You know, I just checked my settings and mine looks just like yours. I am on FRG83D, though - only thing not stock is I have rooted it, and am using a Slayher kernel. I don't think a non-stock kernel would have any effect on this, though. It should be using the build.prop fingerprints to identify the device.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
My market version is 2.2.11,

Anyone else have a different version?

Sent from the F-Zero cockpit on my D2G

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Joey what model phone do you have? I suspect there are different versions of stock apps for different phones/versions of the OS

rebaf

Reaction score
didnt read all this....just wanted to point out that appbrain was already doing this a long time ago and google made them stop with the new market add on....then did it themselves....so much for open....lame.

joeybarclay

Reaction score
Joey what model phone do you have? I suspect there are different versions of stock apps for different phones/versions of the OS

I don't have a stock version of the market so my phone type or os version doesn't really matter. ill try to find the thread where i got my version

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is awesome. I'm sure I will run out of space quickly!

69copo

Reaction score
I love this idea, they should have dropped this with 2.2 but it's here and it's going to be awesome. Android is breathing down the neck of Apple in a very big way. Honeycomb encryption, Web App purchases and open Development! I'm so glad that I got rid of my BlackBerry as soon as I had the chance. Best move I ever made.

piquat

Reaction score
didnt read all this....just wanted to point out that appbrain was already doing this a long time ago and google made them stop with the new market add on....then did it themselves....so much for open....lame.

Doing what? Pushing apps?

I fail to see the point of this. There has to be more than just the pushing of apps, right?

If that's the only difference here... meh.

piquat

Reaction score
It's actually worse than appbrain. They don't list the number of people who have dl'd/installed a program.

That's the FIRST thing I look at. How popular is it? On appbrain I can see that without opening up each apps page. Not here though. Here I have to open up the description of each program to see what's popular. Sure, I can look at the number of reviews, but that's not always a good indicator of the popularity. It could have a lot of reviews because people were upset and wanted to warn others. A sort by popularity is useless because occasionally you'll find a gem that hasn't had many downloads, so I want them listed along with the others.

Maybe I'm missing it, or not and they'll fix it. Either way, it's not of much use to me as is.

rebaf

Reaction score
basically google stopped app brain from doing something google wanted to do themselves.
then they came out with what app brain was already doing.
then apparently they suck at it compared to app brain.

thats the point. this is supposed to be open; unless you come up with something google wants to do for themselves.

tweebee

Incredible RS
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have a Google Apps account rather than the regular Gmail account, and this doesn't seem to work if you are a Google Apps user. It detected my login, but it does not see my phone.