Can I use foreign chip while in USA?

ambitious_guy

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So this might seem strange so I will try to explain it fully in detail.

I have a vacation home in the USA. I have a USA cell phone that I use to text Germany cause it is free. I also have a german cell phone that I bring to the USA so that people in Germany text that phone and its free. So basically they text me on German phone and I reply on USA phone to avoid charges.

Now I got a D2G unlocked (Unlocked with Sigmakey) and when I put my German chip in that phone it does not work. I am in the USA at this time. So my question is do I just need to do the GSM Bank Unlock? or are there settings I have to enter to get it running?

When I say does not work I do not mean its not unlocked as it is unlocked. I get signal and all but when i try to send a txt to the D2G nothing is received. When I put chip back in my regular german phone it works and i get the txt. Also on D2G when I set network to GSM the signal bar goes black with a red cirlcle.

So can you assist me on what I need to do to get the phone working?

Nothing has been done to phone, no rooting or anything so it is on Android version 2.3.4 if that helps you.

Thanks

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to Droid Forums! I am not certain about the D2G's ability to use a foreign sim. If it is capable then you probably have to look up your German provider's apn settings and put the correct apn settings in the phone. This thread may help with information you may need (it applies to the Razr but most would apply to other phones that can use a foreign sim)...

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-maxx/212942-international-travel-razr-maxx-3.html

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

catbeef

Reaction score
i use a uk virgin mobile simcard in my droid 2 global - text, calls, data all work fine without setting up any custom apn~

would be a silly thing to call it a droid 2 'global' if they did not intend it to work globally. it is probably, as said above, that you need to set up apn