Can it be rooted ? Maxx HD 9.20.1 XT926 JB 4.1.2

NYDaddy

Reaction score
Appoligies in advance if as I suspect this question has been asked and answered. I came out of my rooted original Razr when it died I got upgrade via warranty (with some fancy explaining) to the Maxx HD which I egerly excepted. However I had not researched the phone as I would normally have (I figured if its free its for me! I am sure I can root it). From what I read on this forum and other sites online I cannot obtain root on my device unless this device once had root and only lost it via OTA update. Sadly this phone was never rooted so before I abandon all hope, I will ask you "The Driod Collective" LOL What say you! can I obtain root by ANY means with my current configuration? Maxx HD 9.20.1 XT926 JB 4.1.2

Thanks in advance.:question:

djspy

Reaction score
I'm about to send my phone back to Big Red and was wondering the same thing. I'm pretty there will be a root method soon. If there isn't any at the moment.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Thread moved to support section.

OP
N

NYDaddy

Reaction score
I really think this belongs under hacking but...hey what do I know LOL. I am guessing that the short answer is no this cannot be done as of yet since I have not seen anything. I will keep checking back maybe someone can crack it soon. Thanks.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
We decided to move the thread to support because the development/hacking section is meant as an area for developers or contributors to post their work. Questions should stay in the support section. ;)

And to answer your question, sorry the answer is no. If the bootloader is locked, and you are already on the latest OTA, there is no root unless the link above is updated or works.

KaChow

Reaction score

I am guessing that the short answer is no this cannot be done as of yet since I have not seen anything. I will keep checking back maybe someone can crack it soon. Thanks.

The link the bweN diorD provided you with is the answer. I can help you get your Root back here is where you need to start.

Begin by downloading SamuraiHL's Downgrade.

1) To install this you will need RSD Lite, I have the latest version which is 6.1.5 (there is an MTK Patch, but this is a file that is not needed). If you have RSD Lite version 6.1.4 and up you are fine, otherwise download RSD Lite 6.1.5 here.
2) With RSD Lite downloaded go ahead and install it to your computer, which I should mention the RSD version I have is for Windows only. In addition you will need the latest version of Device Manager on your computer. With both RSD Lite and Device Manager installed. Go ahead and open RSD Lite.
3) Pick up your XT926 Droid Razr/Maxx HD and go into Settings> Developer options> USB Debugging and make sure that the check box is checked.
4) Go ahead and put your XT926 Droid Razr/Maxx HD into AP Fastboot> Reboot device by holding Power + Volume (-) down, once screen is black or blank> hold Power + Volume (+) up, press the Volume (-) down button to AP Fastboot mode, then press Volume (+) up.
5) Connect the device to USB.
6) Go into RSD Lite make sure device appears and click to open the file, find the SamuriHL_Downgrade-RAZR_HD.html click to open it and go ahead start compressing and install.
7) This will Revert you back to 4.1.2 System version 9.16.6.
8) Download Motochopper, from my link here, follow instructions as I have displayed in thread.
9) Optional/But recommended Unlock Bootloader with Motopocalypse (this is the last chance to Unlock Bootloader, as a new Unlock is not being explored.)
10) Next go into Settings> About phone> Update, and download only the OTA.
11) Install RootKeeper OTA on your device, here is the link if you do not have it.
12) Go into RootKeeper OTA, select First> Temp. un-root (keeps backup) [this will disable Root hiding a restorable copy of Root.]
13} Go ahead and accept the Install of the OTA.
14) After OTA has installed, device has rebooted, go into Settings> About phone make sure that the System version is 9.18.79/9.20.1 and the new Baseband ends in 15P.
15) Go into OTA RootKeeper and select Restore root. Enjoy!

MrAmazin151420

Reaction score
Noob here (obv) with a Maxx HD XT926 replacement from Moto with 9.20.1 on 4.1.2. Thanks a million for this, KaChow! :happy:

MrAmazin151420

Reaction score
So I was able to root successfully but not unlock the BL.
1) Downgraded to 9.16.6 using RSD Lite 6.1.5 and SamuriHL_Downgrade.xml
2) Rooted with Motochopper v1.0 (No data lost!)
3) Verified root with Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper v2.0.3
4) Attempted to unlock BL with Motopocalypse v1.0 but got this error: TrustZone write failed: -11 and in other instances got this in fastboot: failed to hab check for recovery: 0x56

After reading up on this over the last several days, it looks like I just missed the opportunity window to unlock BL due to the TZ (trusted zone) patch in this recent 9.20.1 OTA update. Have you seen any confirmed cases of unlocking using your method?

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
After reading up on this over the last several days, it looks like I just missed the opportunity window to unlock BL due to the TZ (trusted zone) patch in this recent 9.20.1 OTA update. Have you seen any confirmed cases of unlocking using your method?

there are no confirmed cases because it cant be done.

joshuak3nt

Reaction score
Thank you for this post. I was able to downgrade to 9.18 but i am still unable to unlock the bootloader. I think I am sol.

The link the bweN diorD provided you with is the answer. I can help you get your Root back here is where you need to start.

Begin by downloading SamuraiHL's Downgrade.

1) To install this you will need RSD Lite, I have the latest version which is 6.1.5 (there is an MTK Patch, but this is a file that is not needed). If you have RSD Lite version 6.1.4 and up you are fine, otherwise download RSD Lite 6.1.5 here.
2) With RSD Lite downloaded go ahead and install it to your computer, which I should mention the RSD version I have is for Windows only. In addition you will need the latest version of Device Manager on your computer. With both RSD Lite and Device Manager installed. Go ahead and open RSD Lite.
3) Pick up your XT926 Droid Razr/Maxx HD and go into Settings> Developer options> USB Debugging and make sure that the check box is checked.
4) Go ahead and put your XT926 Droid Razr/Maxx HD into AP Fastboot> Reboot device by holding Power + Volume (-) down, once screen is black or blank> hold Power + Volume (+) up, press the Volume (-) down button to AP Fastboot mode, then press Volume (+) up.
5) Connect the device to USB.
6) Go into RSD Lite make sure device appears and click to open the file, find the SamuriHL_Downgrade-RAZR_HD.html click to open it and go ahead start compressing and install.
7) This will Revert you back to 4.1.2 System version 9.16.6.
8) Download Motochopper, from my link here, follow instructions as I have displayed in thread.
9) Optional/But recommended Unlock Bootloader with Motopocalypse (this is the last chance to Unlock Bootloader, as a new Unlock is not being explored.)
10) Next go into Settings> About phone> Update, and download only the OTA.
11) Install RootKeeper OTA on your device, here is the link if you do not have it.
12) Go into RootKeeper OTA, select First> Temp. un-root (keeps backup) [this will disable Root hiding a restorable copy of Root.]
13} Go ahead and accept the Install of the OTA.
14) After OTA has installed, device has rebooted, go into Settings> About phone make sure that the System version is 9.18.79/9.20.1 and the new Baseband ends in 15P.
15) Go into OTA RootKeeper and select Restore root. Enjoy!

savageSARGE

Reaction score
4) Attempted to unlock BL with Motopocalypse v1.0 but got this error: TrustZone write failed: -11 and in other instances got this in fastboot: failed to hab check for recovery: 0x56

Hey MrAmazin151420, I believe we are both stuck in the same boat.

I've been looking through the threads for a few days now as well, trying to fix my phone after I realized the pushed 9.20.1 update messed up my root - therefore messing up my safestrap. I hadn't realized there was an exploit for the bootloader until now (which kind of stinks on my part) since the only thing there was the last I checked was the moto method for developer models.

After trying to re-flash the MR4 version several times and getting errors the whole time, I found a thread talking about the different MR2 and MR4 versions. Once I found that, I tried re-flashing with the MR2 version and everything went great with no errors. I was able to re-root my phone, same as you, however I too am getting the TrustZone write failed: -11 error. :(

Looks like 9.20.1 just had to ruin the day for us.

Big thanks to everyone who shares their skills, knowledge, and time! I definitely have learned a lot from you guys while trying to figure this out.

techtourist

Reaction score
Root's all I need...

Yes, in an ideal world I would have a completely unlocked phone. However, root is all I really NEED to have.

I received a 'free upgrade' to the Maxx HD from Verizon not realizing I would have so much trouble rooting. I am tempted just to send the new phone back if I cannot get root access.

I tried the method described above (it was a little vague with a reference to an .html file). I am trying this on a Macbook Pro running a virtualbox Windows 7 instance. I have all of the drivers, RSD Lite 6.1.5, etc.

Here are the steps I followed:

I put the phone in Fastboot mode. Confirm that it is detected by RSD Lite. I then find the SamuriHL_Downgrade.xml file and click 'Start'. The phone is detected and the script starts.

The problem is that I get to 6/17, "flash boot.img" and it seems to freeze. (left if for more than an hour with no results)

Any help, ideas on what is the issue would be appreciated.

Techtourist