Cant add app groups to ICS .247 home screen

jk12475

Reaction score
I just updated to the .247 leak and I cant seem to get the app group shortcuts on the home screen. I get a pop-up that its been added but its not on any of the screens. I've even made room on the center screen just in case, but no difference. I've also tried making new ones but nothing seems to help. I know you can stack shortcuts now which is kind of the same but is this a glitch or just my phone?

RETUSAFNCO

Reaction score
jk12475 said:
I just updated to the .247 leak and I cant seem to get the app group shortcuts on the home screen. I get a pop-up that its been added but its not on any of the screens. I've even made room on the center screen just in case, but no difference. I've also tried making new ones but nothing seems to help. I know you can stack shortcuts now which is kind of the same but is this a glitch or just my phone?

I did not have any you tube sound until a knowledgeable individual JohnFH recommended I wipe the cache...worked like a champ

OP
J

jk12475

Reaction score
Didn't I do that when I flashed the update in the first place?

OP
J

jk12475

Reaction score
Sorry, yes I did. Should I try it again? My battery life is crap too, most of usage is the screen for some reason.

deduct

Reaction score
Try a cache wipe again. If that does nit fix it, factory/data reset.

OP
J

jk12475

Reaction score
I wiped it, still wont work. No one confirmed that they could do it though, did anyone else try it?

doonser

Reaction score
I'm not sure how this became a thread about YouTube, but i have the same problem as the original post: i can't add app groups to the home screen. I just finally got upgraded to ics (bionic user) and most things work fine. I don't feel like doing a factory reset...worried i will lose all customizations the upgrade fortunately imported pretty well. I asked a guy at the Verizon store but he had no idea.

dfcfu342

Reaction score
You must add an app to the home screen and then drag and drop another app on top of it. It creates the folder automatically when you drop the second one and you can add several.

doonser

Reaction score
But...

Thanks for the quick reply. Before I go an reinvent the 5 groups on had on Gingerbread with about 50 apps, doing as you said, when I go to the Apps menu and click on the old group, it gives me an option to add a group to the Home screen. When I choose that option a pop up says it has added the group to Home. However, nothing ever appears, even if I make a brand new group. Is there a reason for this option that does nothing, or is my install of ICS broken? Thanks.

OP
J

jk12475

Reaction score
dfcfu, if you read the last sentence of the op then you would realize thats not the issue, its what doonser said.

dfcfu342

Reaction score
I reread it and I understand now it just wasn't as clear in the OP. I cannot add groups to home either I didn't even know it was an option until I read this. It says shortcut created but nothing ever actually happens. Perhaps Moto doesn't even know.

I've been using the app stacking method and it works well for me and is an alternative until adding groups to home is fixed.

OP
J

jk12475

Reaction score
I thought it was pretty clear but ok. It does work fine but only if there are 16 apps. In some ways it's much better but it's still a glitch. Personally I'm finding ICS to be a bit glitchy, app freezes and delays to open things. I might do a FDR but only if it gets really intolerable.

RETUSAFNCO

Reaction score
jk12475 said:
I thought it was pretty clear but ok. It does work fine but only if there are 16 apps. In some ways it's much better but it's still a glitch. Personally I'm finding ICS to be a bit glitchy, app freezes and delays to open things. I might do a FDR but only if it gets really intolerable.

Maybe you should've used HoB...I had one minor problem with my sound which was remedied by wiping the data and cache. My system runs flawlessly.

doonser

Reaction score
Solved. I broke down and called Verizon. After 2 reps who didn't really know what I was talking about, I was forwarded to Motorola (it took a while for him to understand too...he thought I wanted to create a folder of contacts on the Home screen. Truly a game of "telephone"). The upshot is: although the Apps app lists an option to save a group to the Home screen, this item has no functionality. The only way to get my "Groups" back is to recreate them. This isn't that hard after all, and in the time I spent on the phone I could have done it.

1. Navigate to the Home screen you want the Group on (hereafter called "Folder").
2. Open the Apps app.
3. From the drop-down menu on the left, open the old Group (e.g. "Media" or "News" etc. on my phone). Press and hold the first App icon.
4. The Home screen opens up. Drop the app icon there.
5. Repeat 1-3. Drop the 2nd icon on the 1st. It creates a Folder.
6. Keep doing this until all your apps in the old Group are in the new Folder.
7. You can rename the new Folder at any time. Long press on the "Untitled" name at the bottom and rename it.
8. Once your new folders are set up you can delete the old Groups using the "Delete Group" in the Apps screen. That function works!

I don't know why they included an option to save the group to the Home screen if it doesn't work. I asked the Motorola rep to pass that along to developers, but from the sound of the snort he made, I doubt that's going to happen.