can't update my rooted s4

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
Im on 4.2.2 and there is an update available but everytime it installs it fails afterwards. Is this because root access blocks the OTA update? Is there a manual update for the latest stock update that I could download on my rooted phone? Could somebody help me out? Thanks again.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
If you update, you will lose root. You'll have to use Kies or Odin to update, but only if it's worth losing root to you.

alexcool

Reaction score
update then root again

Sent from my Note2 using Tapatalk

pheonixxx1987

Reaction score
Same problem with my og RAZR. I gave it to my tech illiterate wife when I got my note3. And I tried just to ota update an d lose root for her benefit but it fails. Could yall link or explain Kies and odin?

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
If you update, you will lose root. You'll have to use Kies or Odin to update, but only if it's worth losing root to you.

What would be the best way to go about un-rooting? I Should also mention that I have Verizon and my build number is I545VRUAME7. If I unroot then update, will I be able to reroot again? Also is this update for 4.3 or is it just another build of 4.2.2?

newbroot83

Reaction score
What would be the best way to go about un-rooting? I Should also mention that I have Verizon and my build number is I545VRUAME7. If I unroot then update, will I be able to reroot again? Also is this update for 4.3 or is it just another build of 4.2.2?

It is 4.3. After rooting did you install safestrap or use titanium to freeze system apps or anything like that? If so youll need to set it back to pre root settings. If youre using supersu then unrooting is simple. Open supersu, click settings. Scroll towards the bottom and click full unroot

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

bigmatt503

Reaction score
Same problem with my og RAZR. I gave it to my tech illiterate wife when I got my note3. And I tried just to ota update an d lose root for her benefit but it fails. Could yall link or explain Kies and odin?

Kies or Odin do not pertain to your razr..
What I did was use Matt groffs razr utility (Google it) and it works GREAT for returning to stock and re rooting..
I would have attached the link but it's early:)

Sent from my rooted and debloated DNA

atmiller70

Reaction score
I used this thread [GUIDE][Android 4.3] Update to VRUEMJ7 and Keep Root - xda-developers. It worked great. I still have all my data and settings etc. I already had downloaded the OTA onto my phone and deferred the install. So when I first tried the OTA if failed. I re-downloaded and it took. To give you a quick history of where my phone "came from" Out of box with MDK and immediately did OTA to ME7(which I think is 4.2.2), then rooted by a method put out by open1your1eyes (the creator of the link provided; I did not do Root de la Vega the first time I rooted this phone) then I did Google Wallet Modification that is floating around. After all that, the included link got me to 4.3 with root.

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
I used this thread [GUIDE][Android 4.3] Update to VRUEMJ7 and Keep Root - xda-developers. It worked great. I still have all my data and settings etc. I already had downloaded the OTA onto my phone and deferred the install. So when I first tried the OTA if failed. I re-downloaded and it took. To give you a quick history of where my phone "came from" Out of box with MDK and immediately did OTA to ME7(which I think is 4.2.2), then rooted by a method put out by open1your1eyes (the creator of the link provided; I did not do Root de la Vega the first time I rooted this phone) then I did Google Wallet Modification that is floating around. After all that, the included link got me to 4.3 with root.
For some reason when I tried opening Odin it gave me some error in Korean and then closed me out of it.

Astrix

Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score