Car Charger?

marioval

Reaction score
I have an old generic car charger. if I use navigation and stream music the battery percentage will just about break even, it wont charge but it wont discharge either, give or take 1 or 2 percent. I want to get a charger that will actually charge it like it did on my previous DroidX. On Amazon I see some chargers are 1amp and others are 2.1amp. I want it to charge but I dont want to cook it either. Which one should I choose? if it matters, I do not use the car dock, just a generic dash cradle and the charger is plugged directly in the phone. Thanks

OP
M

marioval

Reaction score
So the one I have is 700mAh and like I mentioned before it barely charges. I got my hands on another that is made for iphone/ipad and it is 2100mAh but that one causes massive amounts of static in my radio. Can someone look at theirs that chargers even when navigating and has no interference and report how many mAh? I would really appreciate it. Thanks

HowardZ

Reaction score
The 5 volt USB ports on computers provide 500milliamps - that seems to be the standard.

For some time I have been using a 700ma wall charger from an old LG phone that we don't have anymore.

The family now has the latest iPAD and it comes with a 2100 ma (also referred to as 10 watts) wall charger. The iPAD will not even go into charging mode when plugged into a computer - and thus the docking station is rather useless.

A power supply, whether it is a plug in for home use, or one for the car, can provide 2100millliamps, but it is up to the device(phone) to actually suck it in. If a device is designed to only take 500 milliamps, then there will be no advantage of using a 2100 milliamp power supply. On the other hand if the device will take the additional milliamps and charge faster, then you run the risk the battery will overheat. Heat destroys Lithium Ion batteries. In addition, Apple did something proprietary in its charging systems - and not all chargers will charge an iPAD. It's not just enough milliamps, there's something else - something wicked apple designed to try to keep people over-paying the genuine apple chargers.

There is a free app called "Battery Widget" which among other things will display the battery temperature. Keep in mind that the cheap non-OEM brand batteries often do not have a temperature sensor inside them.

Amazon has this for $10 which is supposed to be Apple iPad compatible:
PowerGen Dual USB 2A / 10w (fast) Heavy Duty Ouput Car Charger for Apple iPad 3 "The New iPad", iPad 2, iPhone 4 4s 3Gs 3G, iPod Touch (USB Cable not included) - Black

I'd suggest trying a 10 watt (2100 milliamp) charger, but watch your battery temperature.

Howard

OP
M

marioval

Reaction score
The one I have that Causes the static is 10 Watt 2100mah. I wonder if I need a 5 Watt 1000mah. Can someone with a good charged check and confirm?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

HowardZ

Reaction score
The one I have that Causes the static is 10 Watt 2100mah. I wonder if I need a 5 Watt 1000mah. Can someone with a good charged check and confirm?

It is difficult to read the small print on my stock droid-X Motorola wall charger, but I think it says 5.1v 850 ma.

Howard

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I still have the car charger I bought with my OG Droid and it's worked for every phone I've had. It's the Verizon branded Micro USB car charger. I've also unsuccessfully dabbled with the Griffin dual USB plug and a few others. This is the only one that's worked for everything.

OP
M

marioval

Reaction score
Because of the position of my shifter, I have verry little room for a charger when the car is in park. Therefore I need something low profile AND that has enough juice to charge. Here is a pic of an example of what I need. What I'm looking for from you peeps is to share a make/model of a low profile charger that is small and will actually charge while navigating and streaming music. Based on some Googling it looks like I need a charger that is between 850mah and 1000mah but please share what you are using. Thanks

View attachment 49286

Last edited:

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Because of the position of my shifter, I have verry little room for a charger when the car is in park. Therefore I need something low profile AND that has enough juice to charge. Here is a pic of an example of what I need. What I'm looking for from you peeps is to share a make/model of a low profile charger that is small and will actually charge while navigating and streaming music. Based on some Googling it looks like I need a charger that is between 850mah and 1000mah but please share what you are using. Thanks

View attachment 49286

I had one similar but made by Griffin. It has no indicator light so you can't tell that it's working. I'd avoid any of these without indicator lights.

OP
M

marioval

Reaction score
So I tried 2 more today. Why is this so hard?

So my understanding is that if I go to Settings > About > Phone > battery it should say AC when charging to indicate a fast charger. If is says USB then I will be getting a slow charge. Correct?

The first I tried today was a Belkin 1 amp (1000ma). It says USB charging. I did some driving with navigation and Google Music streaming. After about 30 minutes I went from 86% battery to 84%. No go on that one. The second I tried was a iLuv 1.2 amp (1200ma). Also said USB charging and again lost slight charge after about half hour. I was using the USB cable that came with the phone for all tests but also tried a generic one I had and its the same. Why is this so difficult???

MikeyTG

Reaction score
I have a generic charger from Wally World that I had bought a year or so ago for my Droid X - I am also using it for the Rezound, and it says "AC charging" when it is plugged in. It only says "wireless" on it and a part number. It was on a rack of generic cell phone car and wall chargers, it was super cheap. It has a cig lighter plug with a red light, a coiled cord, and a micro usb plug.

Chukee

Reaction score
I have an old generic car charger. if I use navigation and stream music the battery percentage will just about break even, it wont charge but it wont discharge either, give or take 1 or 2 percent. I want to get a charger that will actually charge it like it did on my previous DroidX. On Amazon I see some chargers are 1amp and others are 2.1amp. I want it to charge but I dont want to cook it either. Which one should I choose? if it matters, I do not use the car dock, just a generic dash cradle and the charger is plugged directly in the phone. Thanks

If its one of those car chargers where u have to plug a usb cable into it it might just be going bad on you. I had one and it started doing exactly what yours is doing now. The best ones are the car chargers with the cable built in. Im using a generic mini usb car charger with my maxx with no issues.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

sp3ar2envi

Reaction score
I use a 1500 mah charger and it works fine.

OP
M

marioval

Reaction score
Ok so I found one that works. It was actually the cheapest of all I tried at $6.99. It's a 1000ma. Brand name is "Just Charge It". Model number uc3008.