COMPCACHE for UD *2.5.0*!! [Instructions] Updated 12/16/10

anuraj1

Reaction score
COMPCACHE for UD *2.5.0*!! [Instructions] Updated 12/21/10

Updated 12/21/2010

You can now use P3Droid's kernels! --Credit to IBNetMan for testing and confirming.

Instructions to get Compcache working on :blackdroid:UD 2.5.0

Download Busybox by stericson from the Android Market. Open the app and choose to flash busybox version 1.17.1

Decide if you want to use a Slayher kernel or P3Droid kernel.

Slayher kernels have an interactive governor (search to find out what that is) but they run a little hot and may use up battery quicker. P3 kernels run cooler and sometimes give higher quadrant scores while using the ondemand governor.

Slayher LFY (newest) kernels:
Index of /DL/LFY/KERNELS

FOR SLAYHER ONLY:

Flash this zip AFTER you flash the Slayher kernel to enable compcache in the kernel:

http://android.antbox.org/slayher/slayher_compcache_droid.zip

P3Droid kernels:
MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE A FROYO KERNEL. THE FIRST ONES ARE FOR 2.1

P3Droid Kernels

FOR P3DROID KERNELS ONLY:

Flash this zip AFTER you flash the Slayher kernel to enable compcache in the kernel:

http://www.p3designs.info/kernels/ramzswap.zip

Make sure Compcache is enabled in Ultimate Settings > Performance

And after you reboot, Compcache will be working.

Now compcache can be verified running.

You can check the status of compcache by typing "su" (enter) "compcache stats" (enter) without the quotes in the terminal emulator. If it gives you stats, it is on, if it gets an error, it is off. You can also check in SetCPU under info. The items that start with "Swap" will have numbers associated with them if compcache is on, or will be zero if it is off.

Terminal emulator commands that might come in handy. You won't really need these if you are autostarting:

(You must type "su" without the quotes once before using these commands)

compcache start

compcache stop

compcache stats

----

What is compcache? >> http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ul...orking-ud-2-1-0-instructions.html#post1032090

Last edited:

pyro6128

Reaction score
So we don't have to make the edit to the file anymore to get it to run on boot?

OP
anuraj1

anuraj1

Reaction score
So we don't have to make the edit to the file anymore to get it to run on boot?

Nope, that line has been pre-added to the 20userinit file by blackdroid. Which makes life a little easier.

OP
anuraj1

anuraj1

Reaction score
Great post.

You can also use the new LFY Slayher kernels as well.
Index of /DL/LFY/KERNELS

They seem to run better (more responsive, less heat) for me/my phone at least.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Thanks sonnydroid, glad I could put something out there that helps. And the link to the new kernels is appreciated!

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
do people notice any appreciable performance increase by enabling compcache (is that even what it's supposed to do haha)..

OP
anuraj1

anuraj1

Reaction score
do people notice any appreciable performance increase by enabling compcache (is that even what it's supposed to do haha)..

I find there to be a significant noticeable difference while multitasking. Just one example: before enabling compcache, if I received a call while playing angry birds, when the call ended, angry birds would restart because android had killed it to get enough memory for the call. With compcache enabled, the apps switch smoothly and quickly and I don't lose my place in angry birds.

That's one glaring example, but overall app switching is faster and smoother.

Last edited:

Lars1

Reaction score

I would love to hear an answer to this as well.

I have a couple of apps that seem to fail upon loading (no FC, just closes out and goes back to my homescreen.

I have a feeling it has something to do with keeping the app running in memory thru the loading process.

In theory, would compcache help if this is the problem?

TIA

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

I find there to be a significant noticeable difference while multitasking. Just once example: before enabling compcache, if I received a call while playing angry birds, when the call ended, angry birds would restart because android had killed it to get enough memory for the call. With compcache enabled, the apps switch smoothly and quickly and I don't lose my place in angry birds.

That's one glaring example, but overall app switching is faster and smoother.

great thanks i'll give it a go

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

I would love to hear an answer to this as well.

I have a couple of apps that seem to fail upon loading (no FC, just closes out and goes back to my homescreen.

I have a feeling it has something to do with keeping the app running in memory thru the loading process.

In theory, would compcache help if this is the problem?

TIA

i've had this problem too, the app will just open and then close by itself, but not a force close or any error. gonna try this compcache thing and see what happens

mgteggy01

Reaction score
What do you guys recommend for RAM usage percentage? This is under the performance setting. I see that the default is 18% The higher the percentage the more in increase of performance? or how does this work?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
hmmm i flashed a slayher kernel and the compcache flash, and i selected 18%, but not showing anything under setcpu...have 0kB for swap

when i type compache stats in terminal i get:

stats: not a typewriter

whatever that means...any idea what i did wrong?

mgteggy01

Reaction score
hmmm i flashed a slayher kernel and the compcache flash, and i selected 18%, but not showing anything under setcpu...have 0kB for swap

In the terminal you must first type "su" without the quotes then hit enter. Then you will type "compcache start" hit enter. type in "reboot" and then enter once more.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

In the terminal you must first type "su" without the quotes then hit enter. Then you will type "compcache start" hit enter. type in "reboot" and then enter once more.

excellent that did it. thank you, sir! one quick question, now that its enabled it'll stay enabled regardless of reboots right? or do i have to do a compcache start in terminal everytime i reboot my phone?