Considering getting a warranty replacement..

Warglock

Reaction score
Hey folks, looking for some advice about getting a warranty replacement since my D3 space bar works only 50% of the time. I am rooted and ROMed, running safestrap and Steeldroid 4.5. I had a few questions about how to most easily wipe my current d3 then transfer over my previous stuff.

My main question is is a safestrap backup able to restore this potential replacement D3 to my current set up? I know there are some code numbers that are unique to each phone, but don't understand what all gets changed when restoring from a backup, or if the codes are required to match to restore to a back up.

My second question is about wiping my phone. I know how to use RSD Lite to flash the stock rom, but do i still need to do a factory reset to complete the wipe?

My third question I will also post in the Steeldroid rom forum, but I'll add it here just incase. I plan on flashing back to steeldroid 3.0 Since I feel its faster on my D3 and I liked the overall stability of it. I've had a few hinks with 4.5 that I have yet to work out. Would I need to do the whole process of flashing back to stock, rooting, flashing the SD3 rom, then making my backups before flashing the replacement? I guess I can always do that whole process after I get the replacement

Lastly, what are the best app/data/settings back up programs that some of you folks have used?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

aross6

Reaction score
Ok, I JUST went through this last week (I actually had 3 replacements bcz they kept sending me junkers with either dim hard button lights or sticky space bars as replacements). Let me see if I can answer your questions as best as possible...

1.) Yes, you can use a safestrap backup across D3 phones. Boot into safestrap (with safemode enabled) and make a backup of your current rom to an external microSD card. You will be able to restore your backup to your replacement D3 once you root & safestrap it.

2.) Wiping the phone = 2 steps... 1st - Simply use psouza4's 1 click fastboot (the easiest and most fool-proof method) to completely restore the phone to stock 5.6.890. 2nd - After the phone reboots, skip the google login setup screen (touch each of the 4 corners in a clockwise rotation starting with the top left) to go to the home screen. Then go to menu>settings>storage, and click on "Format Internal Storage". Follow the prompts from there and after your phone reboots it will be a completely clean and stock unit ready to send back into Verizon as a warranty claim.

3.) With your new replacement D3 in-hand, boot up the phone for the 1st time. Skip the google login setup screen (touch each of the 4 corners in a clockwise rotation starting with the top left) to go to the home screen. Dial *228 and follow the prompts to active your new replacement phone. Once the programming is completed, reboot your phone. When your phone boots back up, use Petes Motorola Root Tools (the most current version) to root your phone. When your phone boots back up from successfully rooting, download and install the latest version of the SafeStrap app to your phone. Run the SafeStrap app and then choose the “Install Recovery” option. With the Safestrap Recovery successfully installed, poweroff your phone. Once your phone is completely powered down, install your external microSD card into the D3. Now, turn on the phone again and while it is booting up, you will see the Safestrap splash screen. While the splash screen is still displayed, press the Menu key. This will put the device into recovery mode. Create a backup of your stock/rooted Droid 3 now (as a failsafe) by using the appropriate "Backup and Restore" options found under the recovery mode menu. Then enable the “Safe System” option in the Safestrap menu. After Safe System has been enabled, Wipe Data and Wipe Cache (I do these each 3 times for peace-of-mind). Then, go to the “Mount” menu and choose “Format/System.” Lastly, choose "Backup and Restore" and restore the nandroid backup you made of the Rom you were using on the old D3 (ie Step 1). Lastly, Fix Permissions using either Safestrap or Rom Manager and there you have it... your back up and running like you never even switch phones!

Hope this helps!

BIrONIC

Reaction score
...Then enable the “Safe System” option in the Safestrap menu. After Safe System has been enabled, Wipe Data and Wipe Cache (I do these each 3 times for peace-of-mind). Then, go to the “Mount” menu and choose “Format/System.” Lastly, choose "Backup and Restore" and restore the nandroid backup you made of the Rom you were using on the old D3 (ie Step 1). Lastly, Fix Permissions using either Safestrap or Rom Manager and there you have it... your back up and running like you never even switch phones!

Hope this helps!

Any chance you'd be willing to help me out with the portion I've quoted above?

My Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD just got replaced on a junk-out, because the USB/charging port went bad (Replaced with another brand new Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD).

I saved a backup with Safestrap on the old one, and now I'm trying to restore it on the replacement one, but I'm having trouble.
I moved and renamed the folder in which Safestrap originally created the backup (didn't change anything about the individual files' names) to a different place (on my PC), got a new SD card, and copied the files onto the new SD card.

Now, when I boot up to Safestrap (ya, I had no prob rooting or getting Safestrap on it at all), and go into the restore option, that backup is not displayed.

Just to make sure I know Safestrap is working, I performed a backup on the replacement one, and then, when I went into 'Restore', that new backup shows up (So, it's working).

That made me think that renaming the folders and/or moving them may have messed up permissions or something. So, I checked the chmod permissions by looking at all of the folders and files in Root Explorer, but they all look the same on all folders and files in both backup sets.

Now, I didn't actually follow through with enabling safe mode yet (mainly because I actually didn't realize that was necessary), but since the backup isn't even showing up, I assume that's not relevant.

Any idea why the new backup is showing up, but the one I copied in there from the old device isn't?

Thanks.

EDIT: I figured it out. All set. :)

Last edited: