Contacts

hydrolex99

Reaction score
Isn't the Droid's contact list supposed to instantly sync with Gmail to provide us a backup of our contacts in case of a lost or damaged phone? I recently did a data wipe when I was rooting to Ultimate Droid, signed into my google account again through my Droid I realized that all of the contacts that I added since I got my new Droid were no longer on my contact list!

Did I miss something?

CatsTide

Reaction score
they do sync automatically...as long as you have sync turned on. might want to check that.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Isn't the Droid's contact list supposed to instantly sync with Gmail to provide us a backup of our contacts in case of a lost or damaged phone? I recently did a data wipe when I was rooting to Ultimate Droid, signed into my google account again through my Droid I realized that all of the contacts that I added since I got my new Droid were no longer on my contact list!

Did I miss something?

You simply have to turn sync on in your settings. If that doesn't work then go to contacts/menu button/import-export/import form SD card. they will all come back.

Always make sure you have sync turned on so that Google will sync your contacts. Settings/Account & Sync /your account @gmail.com/sync gmail.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did I miss something?
Yup. Always confirm that you have a good backup before wiping (anything, not just the Droid). It should have synced but it's always best to check your backup first whether it's via sync, local or remote backup, etc.

OP
H

hydrolex99

Reaction score
I have already have everything set to sync. What made this even more interesting/confusing is that when I dialed a number that was on my contact list pre-wipe but not there post-wipe the name showed up. Also, when I sent a new text the name would show up in Handcent but on neither occasion did those names show up in the contact list.

306stang

Reaction score
can you tell me why on the phone in contacts i have 912 contacts.

when i am in gmail in my contacts it only has 364.

my accounts are facebook and gmail and both are sync'd.

so why won't all 912 show up in my gmail contacts if everything is sync'd ??

fr4c

Reaction score
can you tell me why on the phone in contacts i have 912 contacts.

when i am in gmail in my contacts it only has 364.

my accounts are facebook and gmail and both are sync'd.

so why won't all 912 show up in my gmail contacts if everything is sync'd ??
IIRC, Facebook synced contacts does not get synced to the Gmail contacts list.

Big Jon

Reaction score
I still feel I am a newbie here. But here is my question. Only using the gmail account for email. Is there any way to share contacts? My wife and I both have droids, I tried bluetooth, paired but not connected. Then I tried shared it sends a standard vcf file it sends fine other receives but the phone does not recognize it. Can you share without an additional ap to go straight into your contacts?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I still feel I am a newbie here. But here is my question. Only using the gmail account for email. Is there any way to share contacts? My wife and I both have droids, I tried bluetooth, paired but not connected. Then I tried shared it sends a standard vcf file it sends fine other receives but the phone does not recognize it. Can you share without an additional ap to go straight into your contacts?

All you should have to do is enter in each others gmail account, and the contacts from those accounts would be synced over to yours and hers.

Hope this helps.

xliderider

Reaction score
log into your gmail account at mail.google.com and click on contacts. Then click on export, export your contacts in .csv format. Then log into your wife's gmail account and open her contacts and click on the import link. Import the .csv file you exported from your account.

Big Jon

Reaction score
Is there any other way to do without logging into gmail?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there any other way to do without logging into gmail?

No because gmail and contacts are all looped together. Gmail syncs accordcing to what accounts it has listed on it. I'm assuming you both have a lot of contacts so you don't want to do it individually.

A .csv file transfer of contacts from one account to the other would work but every time a change was made on one phone unless you were synced to the account the change would have to be done manually to the others gmail. That would be if the accounts weren't synced of course.

Psyman

Reaction score
Is there a way to not have it sync my contacts with ny fackbook account? I've got some friends with no phones and don't want a huge contact list

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

wooddale

Reaction score
Is there a way to not have it sync my contacts with ny fackbook account? I've got some friends with no phones and don't want a huge contact list

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Dont think phone knows the difference between phone contacts and ones that dont in Face either all or none

rockface67

Reaction score
Sharing Group Contacts

Is there anyway to e-mail or text a group contact list to another person? Not sure what phone they have. I created the group in my contact list (Droid X) but want to be able to send it over to another person so they can text the group as well. thanks.