Dec Release Date?

il padrino

Reaction score
Any speculation on when the D4 will be released? I'll looking to get my wife a phone for xmas and hoping it will be released before then. She really likes the feel of a keypad and I'd like to get one with 4G. Although some of the deals currently going on are kind of tempting.

JCDenton771

Reaction score
Any speculation on when the D4 will be released? I'll looking to get my wife a phone for xmas and hoping it will be released before then. She really likes the feel of a keypad and I'd like to get one with 4G. Although some of the deals currently going on are kind of tempting.

I really felt this was going to come out in December, but I'm not sure how the Galaxy Nexus push-back hurts it. If the Nexus would release on Black Friday, then yes I would say definitely this is coming out by the end of the year. Now I'm not as sure it will but I'm still fairly confident that it will.

JCDenton771

Reaction score
DROID 4 Scheduled to Launch December 8, Same Day as the Galaxy Nexus? – Droid Life: A Droid Community Blognd here it is ladies and gents!

TC_Mits

Reaction score
I really felt this was going to come out in December, but I'm not sure how the Galaxy Nexus push-back hurts it. If the Nexus would release on Black Friday, then yes I would say definitely this is coming out by the end of the year. Now I'm not as sure it will but I'm still fairly confident that it will.

Here's my take on the Nexus-D4 linkage and what it's about:

Nexus on black Friday. D4 mid-Dec.

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

"Update: At one point stores were told to prepare for a Nexus release tomorrow. Then vzw changed its mind. I am actually pleased because that could mean people are 'not buying' the idea of a hardwired battery. Akhi216's 'vzw boardroom' cartoon may be very true indeed. But, for me, still not true enough because, if the RAZR is about breaking us in to accept hardwired batteries, then the Nexus serves exactly the same vzw purpose for SD cards.

"The more I reflect about it, the more I realize that if I can't have a phone with all 4 features:
1- 5 row keyboard
2- 4G LTE
3- SD card
4- replaceable battery
Then I don't want a smart phone at all."

They have "plans" for us. The release of the D4 - and the Nexus - are tied to some extent to the success of the RAZR - and its hardwired battery.

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

speachey

Reaction score
It also appears that one of the things people were upset most about, lack of battery pull ability, was overblown. The new leaked promo material over at droid-life shows you can access the battery.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

akhi216

Reaction score
It also appears that one of the things people were upset most about, lack of battery pull ability, was overblown. The new leaked promo material over at droid-life shows you can access the battery.

Where? A source at HoFo said that you can pull the back cover off to access the SD card slot and that the battery buried beneath that and is unaccessible without tearing the phone apart.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

akhi216

Reaction score
According to this you gain access like you mentioned and change the battery as well... http://androidcommunity.com/full-motorola-droid-4-specs-leaked-20111125/

No. Nowhere in that article does it say that you can have access to the battery. It says that you can remove that back cover to access the microsim slot and the SD card slot, but nowhere does it say that you can access the battery.

speachey

Reaction score
"The battery gets a boost to 1785mAh, and (YES!) you can replace it yourself, albeit with a supplied plastic key"

...That's in the article, maybe i'm missing something and that's not for the battery?

bishoy

Reaction score
i am going to be crushed if this screen isnt Super AMOLED like the RAZR . my sister just got the razr today and i love it..... but i want this keyboard so bad

akhi216

Reaction score
"The battery gets a boost to 1785mAh, and (YES!) you can replace it yourself, albeit with a supplied plastic key"

...That's in the article, maybe i'm missing something and that's not for the battery?

Missed that for some reason. You are correct, it is in THAT article, but trust me, the Droid 4 will NOT have a removable battery. Android Community has been in error on many occasions, and I wouldn't trust them without checking their "infomation" with finding the same material at either Droid Life of Android Central. Notice how they indicated that the source of their info was from Droid Life...well, here is the article that they were trying to refer to...

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/2...nitely-a-big-razr-with-a-keyboard-and-4g-lte/

Notice how in the last paragraph it indicates that the battery is NOT remoavable.

If the Droid 4 is a variant of the Droid RAZR, which lacks a removable battery, then why would the Droid 4 have one,

A person who's actually had hands-on experience with the Droid 4 at HoFo confirmed that it does in fact have a non-removable battery.

speachey

Reaction score
Missed that for some reason. You are correct, it is in THAT article, but trust me, the Droid 4 will NOT have a removable battery. Android Community has been in error on many occasions, and I wouldn't trust them without checking their "infomation" with finding the same material at either Droid Life of Android Central. Notice how they indicated that the source of their info was from Droid Life...well, here is the article that they were trying to refer to...

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/2...nitely-a-big-razr-with-a-keyboard-and-4g-lte/

Notice how in the last paragraph it indicates that the battery is NOT remoavable.

If the Droid 4 is a variant of the Droid RAZR, which lacks a removable battery, then why would the Droid 4 have one,

A person who's actually had hands-on experience with the Droid 4 at HoFo confirmed that it does in fact have a non-removable battery.

You are correct, I did not see that article and I also trust Droid-life more as a resource. Either way, I miss the keyboard from my Droid3 but couldn't part with 4G...this makes that choice easy for me