Did the Samsung Galaxy S4 impress or disappoint you?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I have to say I'm impressed with the new capabilities/features of the S4. I have some decisions to make. I want this phone :)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm impressed, I want it, and I can hear my Nexus whimpering in my pocket

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I'm impressed, I want it, and I can hear my Nexus whimpering in my pocket
lol....Google I/O is right around the corner when they release it too. That works out for me, if the Moto X isn't announced I will grab the S4

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I'm impressed and very surprised. I was looking into the sg3 or N2 but certainly in a quandary now, lol! I wonder if I would find the features overwhelming though.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Samsung played it smart. They changed enough to make it different while keeping the design the same so to not alienate s3 customers while bringing in new customers who like the look of the s3. A lot of the note 2 features ended up getting ported to the s3 first via roms and later through samsung update. If you have the s3 and note 2 (especially note 2) you will see a port once the phone get in the hands of developers. If samsung continue the process they will keep the excitement up for galaxy fans especially if they continue to improve their ota track record. If I know that by buying a galaxy s device I will get some of the features that the new s device has it will keep mw wanting to stay in the loop. Get the phone one year, next years feature in an ota the next, and year 3 new phone. Apple has done a good job of that for years which is why they keep fans. But since they have been slow to innovate apple customers are starting to look at the galaxy s devices (phones).

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was somewhat disappointed that we didn't get the Exynos 5 octa-core, but I doubt it will matter in the long run. I am going to speculate that because they didn't specify which chip it was, maybe they haven't decided and we might get the Snapdragon 800 instead of the 600! :)

J

JohnDroid

I'm impressed and very surprised. I was looking into the sg3 or N2 but certainly in a quandary now, lol! I wonder if I would find the features overwhelming though.

No way. You'll probably get bored of the features in short order. I wouldn't worry about being overwhelmed ;)

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I was somewhat disappointed that we didn't get the Exynos 5 octa-core, but I doubt it will matter in the long run. I am going to speculate that because they didn't specify which chip it was, maybe they haven't decided and we might get the Snapdragon 800 instead of the 600! :)
Their presser states both the Qualcomm and Exynos Octa Core with a note that the selection of AP wil be different by market, which means we in the US aren't getting the Exynos :( RAWRRRRR

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Their presser states both the Qualcomm and Exynos Octa Core with a note that the selection of AP wil be different by market, which means we in the US aren't getting the Exynos :( RAWRRRRR

Honestly ck Snapdragon processor in some ways are better thsn the exynos. The user really will not be losing in experience having the snapdragon over the exynos. For what the average user uses their phone for they will be fine. If samsung is going back to the snapdragon in american phones after having the exynos in the note 2 there has to be a reason.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I'm impressed overall. The display and specs are great. Only thing for me that was kind of a let down is the design. Wish they had changed it up more... But that will probably not stop me from getting one. ;)

indee2025

Reaction score
Hmmmm

Coming from a Droid DNA I'm not seeing anything in the S4 that merits a move for me.

I didn't get the S3 because I don't like the design or plastic feel and prefer actual Droid line devices, which is all centered around my preference not because I didn't think the S3 was a capable device.

The problem I saw today is there is just a small difference between the S3 & S4 which is on par with Apple's iphone 4 & 4s. You might as well call this the Samsung Galaxy S3S!

Would have liked to have seen an improvement on the body design. I've got the DNA and 5 inch screen doesn't feel big at all so it was nice to see that happening in the S4. It's mainly the body stlye of the S4 and lack of anything really revolutionary that will keep my Droid DNA with wireless charging in my pocket for awhile. Not hating on the S4, it will be a nice device. Just my 2 cents.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Coming from a Droid DNA I'm not seeing anything in the S4 that merits a move for me.

I didn't get the S3 because I don't like the design or plastic feel and prefer actual Droid line devices, which is all centered around my preference not because I didn't think the S3 was a capable device.

The problem I saw today is there is just a small difference between the S3 & S4 which is on par with Apple's iphone 4 & 4s. You might as well call this the Samsung Galaxy S3S!

Would have liked to have seen an improvement on the body design. I've got the DNA and 5 inch screen doesn't feel big at all so it was nice to see that happening in the S4. It's mainly the body stlye of the S4 and lack of anything really revolutionary that will keep my Droid DNA with wireless charging in my pocket for awhile. Not hating on the S4, it will be a nice device. Just my 2 cents.
The differences between the S3 and S4 are not small, the S4 smokes it in every possible way, not even close. And in your case, an upgrade would be foolish, your phone just recently hit the market.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Samsung played it smart. They changed enough to make it different while keeping the design the same so to not alienate s3 customers while bringing in new customers who like the look of the s3. A lot of the note 2 features ended up getting ported to the s3 first via roms and later through samsung update. If you have the s3 and note 2 (especially note 2) you will see a port once the phone get in the hands of developers. If samsung continue the process they will keep the excitement up for galaxy fans especially if they continue to improve their ota track record. If I know that by buying a galaxy s device I will get some of the features that the new s device has it will keep mw wanting to stay in the loop. Get the phone one year, next years feature in an ota the next, and year 3 new phone. Apple has done a good job of that for years which is why they keep fans. But since they have been slow to innovate apple customers are starting to look at the galaxy s devices (phones).

So you got me thinking pc, if Samsung or the devs update the sg3 or N2 with some of the sg4 features then it may be worth it for me to go the inexpensive route and get the sg3 or N2?

Now to think... what features might be possible to port (as in software) and what will not be(as in hardware & some of the technology). Air gesture?? Would that be possible with updated software or would there be digitizer limitations where it's not possible. Dual camera shot and camera shot w sound seems a possibility? Some of the health features but some not.

Man, this is going to be a very very tough decision. I have a feeling my wallet will be making that decision for me. If it is only a $100 difference then definitely with the leap but this is a beast of a phone. I have a feeling it will be more than that.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So you got me thinking pc, if Samsung or the devs update the sg3 or N2 with some of the sg4 features then it may be worth it for me to go the inexpensive route and get the sg3 or N2?

Now to think... what features might be possible to port (as in software) and what will not be(as in hardware & some of the technology). Air gesture?? Would that be possible with updated software or would there be digitizer limitations where it's not possible. Dual camera shot and camera shot w sound seems a possibility? Some of the health features but some not.

Man, this is going to be a very very tough decision. I have a feeling my wallet will be making that decision for me. If it is only a $100 difference then definitely with the leap but this is a beast of a phone. I have a feeling it will be more than that.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

The note 2 don't have to worry about hovering as we can do that with the s pen. The rest of the features are software which will work just fine on the note 2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
That may be exactly what I go for pc. And the price will probably go down when S4 is released but it still is going to be a major dilemma which to choose.