Direct Dial Widget Ambiguity

otth2oskier

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsubg Galaxy S5
The direct dial widgets are nice, but, if I have a contact that has multiple phone numbers and the direct dial widgets are identical. My old Nexus S would overlay the word Home or Mobile on the widget.

Is there any way, other than creating a contact for each number, which would be really bad, to differentiate the widgets.

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
if you use a 3rd party launcher (like Nova), among many other benefits, it allows you to rename the homescreen shortcuts, so you can call it whatever you want. I'm not sure of a way to do this with the stock launcher.

Reactions: cr6

rottenpixies

Reaction score
I've never used this, it allows you to dial from a widget? That will be super useful. Is this an app you have to install?

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
I've never used this, it allows you to dial from a widget? That will be super useful. Is this an app you have to install?
You don't need a separate app, they're Widgets/shortcuts that come with the stock dialer app. There are 3 kinds: "Contact", "Direct Dial" and "Direct Message". When you add one of them to a homescreen, it will prompt you for the contact you want it to represent, then you can just click it to initiate a call, txt msg, or just open the contact card (depending on which kind of shortcut you picked).

Reactions: cr6