Do I just have bad luck, or are all Droids crap?

superduty4x4

Reaction score
I bought my phone in August and it was great until the 2.2 update. After multiple battery pulls and factory data resets it was mostly behaving until Tuesday when an old issue resurfaced. I called Verizon and ended up getting a replacement phone which showed up yesterday. Right out of the box this phone is having problems too. Its really irritating to spend quite a few bucks on a phone and having all these problems. I guess I get to call Verizon AGAIN...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

oapb

Reaction score
Im with you. Im on my 5th phone and both verizon and motorola refuse to exchange it for anything other than another a855. I was told that I qualify for my 1 year upgrade so if I want something else I can buy it.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
superduty4x4, what is this new issue?

oapb, what's the current issue? If you really need a replacement then accept it and if it's not working very well keep asking to speak to people higher up on the food chain till you get satisfaction, and try both the store and phone support.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes it kind of be easier to help you fix your issue if we knew what it was.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nothing worse than people complaining about 'issues' and not giving examples... makes it sound more like user error than anything with the phone(s). Either be specific and give examples or don't waste the time postings and go back to your precise iPhone or whatever device you are obviously vying for.

There are a few people that have claimed to be through multiple phones but personally I have to lean towards user error... I have an original Droid, several friends have original Droids, several others have various other Droid models (Inc., X) and none of us (out of over 30 people) have had any issues that would deem the phones 'defective.' A few hiccups with the OS or, as is more often the case bad apps from the market or other resource conflicts but nothing to justify returns. Sorry but I just have a hard time believing anyone can go through multiple headsets with 'legitimate' hardware (or software) issues that aren't in some way traceable back to something they are doing. There is a steep learning curve to Android that many don't seem able to cope with... for these people don't worry, iPhone will be coming to VZW soon enough... People need to also remember/consider Android is still in its 'infancy' compared to its competitors so it still has a ways to go so be patient... or you can opt for one of the new WinM phones or a 'tried and true' BB device.

Last edited:

oapb

Reaction score
my issues are Random restarts, loose headphone jack causing music pausing, EXTREME home screen lag(sometimes it takes up to a minute for my apps to pop up) and a 5 hour battery life while phone is idle or very minimal use. I cannot get through a day at work without having to throw the phone on the charger on lunch break. I work at a place that is very strict on cell use during our shifts so the use is very minimal. Ive done multiple battery pulls as well as factory resets. The last 3 phones have not been rooted. I also let the phones sit for an hour after the resets and let them sync. Also have not reinstalled any apps after resets and problems persist. I got offered a credit towards a new phone if I want to upgrade early but do not have money at the moment and also would like to wait for the "T2" phone I keep hearing about. Ive got another refurb on the way so I guess we will see what happens with this one.

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
The loose headphone jack is a replaceable fault. You should get a replacement for that alone. The rest sound like software issues that we might be able to talk you through. :) Hopefully the new refurb will work for you -- but if it doesn't, start talking your way up the food chain to see about getting an upgrade.

oapb

Reaction score
Yea, all 5 of my droids have had the loose headphone jack. Its funny because I rooted the first 2 and had no real issues I could blame on the roms. These last 3 I decided not to root and they have had the software problems. Ive called and talked to 4 different vzw reps, getting the furthest with the last one. He offered me a new refurb droid or Offered me a $50 credit as well as early upgrade. I just dont have the money to upgrade or else I would. The droidx and the fascinate look nice

How would you go about talking someone through the software issues I named? The vzw tech mentioned no fix for that. Unless you are talking about rooting again

kingsway8605

Reaction score
I currently have an open complaint with the BBB against Verizon for not acknowledging the loose headphone jack design flaw on the motodroid 1. I suggest you all do the same. I am on my 5th phone for the loose headphone jack and Verizon refuses to acknowledge that it is not the case of defective hardware but instead the case of a design flaw. They said nobody is reporting it as an issue.

oapb

Reaction score
shouldnt you complain against motorola and not verizon? verizon didnt make the droid, they just sell them

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
The home screen lag is caused by FroYo killing the launcher. There's a very easy fix for non-rooted users. Install ADW from the market and make it the default launcher. In the ADWLaucher settings you can make it system persistent. It may not solve your problems 100% but it will cut them down amazingly.

Are you running any widgets? If so, what?

kingsway8605

Reaction score
shouldnt you complain against motorola and not verizon? verizon didnt make the droid, they just sell them

Common misconception. In the United States, with a few exceptions (iphone for instance), you are buying the phone from the carrier not the manufacturer. Motorola's customer is Verizon, Verizon's customer is the end-user. For instance, Samsung publicly said they were against Bing on their Galaxy S phones, but they still did the Bing search on the Fascinate because Verizon, their customer, told them to.

kingsway8605

Reaction score
I've never experienced a loose headphone jack.....

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

It is caused by carrying the droid in your pocket while listening to music. If you do this, it WILL develop the loose headphone jack eventually.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
my issues are Random restarts, loose headphone jack causing music pausing, EXTREME home screen lag(sometimes it takes up to a minute for my apps to pop up) and a 5 hour battery life while phone is idle or very minimal use. I cannot get through a day at work without having to throw the phone on the charger on lunch break. I work at a place that is very strict on cell use during our shifts so the use is very minimal. Ive done multiple battery pulls as well as factory resets. The last 3 phones have not been rooted. I also let the phones sit for an hour after the resets and let them sync. Also have not reinstalled any apps after resets and problems persist. I got offered a credit towards a new phone if I want to upgrade early but do not have money at the moment and also would like to wait for the "T2" phone I keep hearing about. Ive got another refurb on the way so I guess we will see what happens with this one.

Loose headphone jack is a well known (and well documented) issue both on the VZW and Moto forums. Nothing you can do with that, though it should take come time to develop (it has to do with the way the jack is 'connected' to the board (it's not actually soldered to the board, as it should be). As for the random restarts that is a bit odd for a non-rooted (read non-OC'd) stock Droid, now if it was one of the 3 that was rooted than that's a kernel issue and NOT a 'device' issue. As for the battery drain you have something installed or some setting (perhaps wi-fi) that is draining the battery while in standby. Again not really a 'hardware' issue but something on the user-end. My phone lasts from ~5am to 1am daily with heavy email use and moderate voice use (and I'm still on the originally battery, of course I have profiles set and tweaked). Homescreen lag is on the boarder, it's a known issue with 2.2 ROMs and the stock/default home-screen is about the WORST out there. Combined with the battery drain issue it sounds like something in the background is wasting cycles when it shouldn't be. Again not really hardware issues. Be sure you're not using ANY task-killers and do a clean factory reset and w/o installing ANYTHING see what the battery life and overall performance is like for a day or two (of course that won't fix the jack issue).