Droid 2 Global Bloatware Removal Script

P Dizzay

Reaction score
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
I'm currently at school so when I get home tonight i will be definately trying this.
I just now purchased the root explorer. The cost of the app was peanuts comapared to the anxiety i was dealing with over this. thanks for replying very swiftly becuase i was seriously considering full smb reformat when i got home today. Your link to step by step instructions is VERY helpful and makes complete sense. The only thing stopping me from doing this now is that the school computers don't let me install anything. so 7zip is not available :(

THANKS SO MUCH!

P Dizzay

Reaction score
Okay, so I replaced every single app that was missing successfully, rebooted, all apps present.
Weird thing, contact pictures gone, and when i click on "system update" it says system update is not available without a Motorola service account. Has a button to setup the account but only shows the account manager window with only options as facebook, myspace, twitter. etc.

Any suggestions?

OP
B

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
droidtwoglobalgetrdonedevteam.webs.com
Is your Google account still there after adding the apps back and rebooting? I'm not sure why it would be gone (unless restoring some deleted app messed up your primary account somehow). As far as I'm aware, I've never heard of a "Motorola Service Account" so it must be talking about a google account. The profile pictures are stored in the "cloud" (I think) so if they are not showing up, it would seem like your not really syncing with google, and the contacts that do show up are left over from the last time it synced (theoretically before you restored the apps and rebooted.) Which apps did you remove and put back? And did you make sure get all the ".odex" files back as well?

P Dizzay

Reaction score
My google account is still active on the phone and i can send/recieve messages.
Although, when i sync the accounts in the "accounts" menu it shows the syncing animation in the window but not in the status bar. Is there a way i can re-setup my google account? i have all my contacts in a vcard file so contact integrity is not a problem.

As far as applications re-installed/copied....

amazon mp3
android-syncservice-app
backupassistance client
blockbuster
blue-services
buacontactadapter
cityid
cmas
friendfeed
help center
homesyncwizard
inpocketservice
kindle
mynet
myverizon
newswidget
performance manager
status widget
weather widget
work contacts

Would it be that sync service or blur-services just needs to re-register my google account to be back to normal?

OP
B

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
Well, unfortunately we're starting to get above my skill set here. Aside from the backup assistant, I'm not sure any of those (see below) would actually show up in the app drawer, so it may be that they're not all the way "re-installed". I assume you all ready checked, but are the permissions correct for each of the apps you put back?

android-syncservice-app
backupassistance client
blur-services
buacontactadapter
cmas
homesyncwizard
work contacts

This motorola thread seems to indicate that a factory reset should fix it, but this is not ideal...https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/210267

A factory reset would be a pain, but If you titanium backup all user apps and data first, then factory reset, and use titanium backup to restore all of your user apps and data it shouldn't take that long...

P Dizzay

Reaction score
Darn.
When it was acting weird i knew i really messed something up by this point.
currently titanium backup is backing up all my data and im going to factory reset.
we'll see how this goes :/

P Dizzay

Reaction score
oops. too late. phone restored. all apps back installed and personal data restored. syncs with google and pulls contact pictures from facebook like how it used to before the system app restoration. from the surface it appears to be back just the way it was out of the box. the update is currently downloading. (hense I didn't recieve the error)
for future reference what apps is it ok to freeze and unfreeze for updates without causing harm to the system like that?

OP
B

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
The apps included in the scripts have been generally accepted as safe to remove. Some of the other social network stuff can go, but you will loose widgets and some other minor functionality. Best bet, if it says "Blur" in the name, leave it alone. Also removing Backup Assistant has been known to cause issues with factory resets.

This link is specif to Cyanogen mod based roms, but it does provide a good description of which factory apps will mess up other functions.

Cyanogen Barebones

P Dizzay

Reaction score
uhh oh...
IT WORKED! mwahaah updated to 2.4.330!
thank you so much with all your help.
i finally have a procedure where i can have the level of access to the system i want (root) and still able to install normal OTA updates without modifying the recovery system on the phone.
i can't thank you enough for having very fast responses and links for the stock system apps. I'll be sure to keep your profile and ask you first with any problems i may encounter. happy droiding!

IMRoMuLuS

Reaction score
Just wondering.. I got into the clockwork mod recovery through bootstrap but when i click the D2G_Bloat_Update.zip it seems to freeze on the scree where the arrow is coming out of a box towards the android robot... Any ideas?

OP
B

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
Well that is strange. Is there any text on the screen at all? Just to be clear, you've navigated through the clockwork recovery menu, chosen to install zip from sdcard, picked the D2G_Bloat_Update.zip, selected yes (in the menu that has a bunch of "no" but one yes). After that, the text leaves the screen and all you see is the arrow coming out of the box toward the android?

It should say
Installing :SDCARD:D2G_Bloat_Update.zip
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...

and then run through the script.

It is possible that if it says none of that clockwork is having another issue, or the script may have had an incomplete download? It may be worth re-downloading the script and trying again.

IMRoMuLuS

Reaction score
Well if gets to
Installing :SDCARD2G_Bloat_Update.zip
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...

But freezes there with the Box with arrow to Android Robot.

I also get errors saying it can't verify the file on E. This happens with both the bloatware and any ROM's that I try to install. Any Ideas?

And yes I followed all your steps. I used Bootstrapper to get to clockwork mod and navigated as instructed