Droid 2 Global ROOT, CUSTOM RECOVERY & SIM UNLOCK Tutorial

Newworld

Reaction score
Almost There !!!

SGMD1,

Thanks for the link for rooting the Droid (2 Global) . I wasn't able to use Z4Root but your other link (10/2011) work perfectly. Only one problem that I hope you guys can help me with. I 1st installed Barnacle Wifi Tether and it didn't work for some reason. Installed and configured Open Garden Wifi Tether and it was all configured and set to go but kept loading to the Verizon Hotspot page. Would not let me go further unless I agreed to pay for the wifi hotspot. I had the Mobile hotspot unchecked but it seems that didn't make a difference.

And how do I Un-root the phone.......

Can anyone please help.......:)

Last edited:
OP
r314bd

r314bd

Reaction score
Thanks for the link for rooting the Droid (2 Global) . I wasn't able to use Z4Root but your other link (10/2011) work perfectly.
No problem :)
how do I Un-root the phone
Are you wanting to un-root right now? Or are you wondering for if you eventually want to sell/give the phone to someone else and return it back to stock? If it's the latter, you can flash the .sbf file using these instructions.
Installed and configured Open Garden Wifi Tether and it was all configured and set to go but kept loading to the Verizon Hotspot page.
Did you try android-wifi-tether?

Newworld

Reaction score

Are you wanting to un-root right now? Or are you wondering for if you eventually want to sell/give the phone to someone else and return it back to stock? If it's the latter, you can flash the .sbf file using these instructions.

Yep...That didn't work. Tried another wifi with the same problem. It downloaded and says its running but its not. Could it be something in the wifi settings? I tried reinstalling the binaries/configs but it said it couldnt install the file. Not sure what that means.

Any help you could give would be appreciated.

Newworld

Reaction score

I tried several wifi's but none seem to work or I have something wrong in the settings. Any help would be appreciated....

OP
r314bd

r314bd

Reaction score
I tried several wifi's but none seem to work or I have something wrong in the settings. Any help would be appreciated....
I don't have the Droid 2 Global any more so I can't really help much but I've read about people having this problem with Android Gingerbread (2.3). Some of the top links here might help.

Glassnuts

Reaction score
Droid 2

This doesn't work anymore. Or am i just completely doing it wrong ? I have the Droid 2 and it's running 2.3.3 And the Z4 keeps resetting my phone and it does nothing.

foul_owl

Reaction score
Just to be clear, there is no way for a Droid 2 Global to work on T-Mobile? Is there any Droid phone that will work with T-Mobile?

Thanks!!

OP
r314bd

r314bd

Reaction score
Is there any Droid phone that will work with T-Mobile?
Any Android phone that can operate on the HSPA+ 1700 MHz frequency can use T-Mobile's 3G network. There are several Android devices that can do this, including the Motorola Defy and the Motorola XT720.

leobg

Reaction score
Just to be clear, there is no way for a Droid 2 Global to work on T-Mobile? Is there any Droid phone that will work with T-Mobile?

Thanks!!

Well - if you don't mind using 2G only data speeds (as D2G UMTS/HSPA frequencies aren't compatible with T-Mobile), there is way to use it with Tmobile. You need to perform the "band-unlock" hack which has been discussed here and on other forums. But, again, for data connection you will be limited to GSM/EDGE (2G) speeds.

foul_owl

Reaction score
Well - if you don't mind using 2G only data speeds (as D2G UMTS/HSPA frequencies aren't compatible with T-Mobile), there is way to use it with Tmobile. You need to perform the "band-unlock" hack which has been discussed here and on other forums. But, again, for data connection you will be limited to GSM/EDGE (2G) speeds.

So I will need to do two unlocking operations. First, the one described in this thread, second, the band unlock? Do these unlock operations only work on specific hardware or software revisions?

I was planning on just using Wifi for data I think. I would imagine that adding data to my plan will cost more of course?

I currently pay ~60 a month for 500 minutes and unlimited texting. Perhaps another option is to break my contract with T-Mobile and go with Verizon or another carrier? Anyone have any experience there?

Thanks!!

Splitman

Reaction score
I need help. Sorry for my bad English. I am from Russia. I bought this phone, and now I can't unlock it. Are there people who have a contract with Verizon? My phone's IMEI is higher than 353650047xxxxxx and I have a problem with getting unlock code. I had a turbosim in the box, but for some unknown reason does not work:frown:

JunglistTrue

Reaction score
Hi all,i have bought Droid 2 global from ebay. First of all i bought 2 unlock codes from ebay and none of them working,i enterted this codes more than 10 times and after that my phone says me "contact the operator". Now my sellers call to VZ and get the true unlock code,but when im taped it,droid says that this code is fake(unssecseful)! My phone now is hard locked or what? Can someone help me?

silver6054

Reaction score
z4root no longer works on the latest ota

z4root is a Froyo exploit, and hasn't worked on this device since the September 2011 OTA, (4.5.608) to Gingerbread. With the latest OTA, March 2012, to 4.5.629, there are NO known root exploits yet.